1.0.2 re-install please help me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
ok i have this previous version and just want to reformat my phone back with this version. The problem is there are two choices...update and restore and then just update. When i try to update it starts downloading 1.1.1. When i turn off the internet it says that the update site cant be found. please help me just get back where i was. I am an att cusomer and have never upgraded to 1.1.1

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
If you follow the instructions I gave you awhile back, you'll be able to restore to 1.0.2. with no problems. I did it several times while I was on 1.0.2. I was hoping that you could turn off the internet connection just to be safe, but it looks like you can't. Still, you should not have any problems at all.

Here are the instructions again:

Before you begin, sync your all of your data so that after you restore, you'll be able to put it all back. You might also want to save photos from your Camera Roll, as they do not get backed up in the syncing process. To perform a restore,

1. Plug in your iPhone and start up iTunes.
2. While holding down the SHIFT key (or if on a Mac, the Option/ALT-key), click the Restore button.
3. It will ask you for the restore file. Use the 1.0.2 firmware to restore. If you need a copy of the 1.0.2 firmware, it's located here: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iphone/061-3823.20070821.vormd/iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
If you follow the instructions I gave you awhile back, you'll be able to restore to 1.0.2. with no problems. I did it several times while I was on 1.0.2. I was hoping that you could turn off the internet connection just to be safe, but it looks like you can't. Still, you should not have any problems at all.

Before you begin, sync your all of your data so that after you restore, you'll be able to put it all back. You might also want to save photos from your Camera Roll, as they do not get backed up in the syncing process. To perform a restore,

2. While holding the shift key, hit restore (Windows only)
3. It will ask you for the restore file. Use the 1.0.2 firmware to restore. If you need a copy of the 1.0.2 firmware, it's located here: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....8_Restore.ipsw

Holy je*us crap I love you. I totally missed the hold the shift key part.......wish me luck..... give me 10 mins

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

3. It will ask you for the restore file. Use the 1.0.2 firmware to restore. If you need a copy of the 1.0.2 firmware, it's located here: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....8_Restore.ipsw
Yep! That did it. Thank you for not pointing out how STUUPID I am! Thnx agian as I'll be spending the nite re-modding my "new" iPhone!:p:laugh2::p

LBrown

Oct 14, 2007

Hi enigmanic,

Can you give us the address to the 1.0.2 firmware again? Link isn't working. I'm also curious if this restore would work on a unlocked phone. I'm having problems with my phone and would like to restore it, re-lock and exchange it for another one. Will restoring it remove all 3rd party apps? I appreciate any advice you or anyone can offer. Thanks.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Hi enigmanic,

Can you give us the address to the 1.0.2 firmware again? Link isn't working. I'm also curious if this restore would work on a unlocked phone. I'm having problems with my phone and would like to restore it, re-lock and exchange it for another one. Will restoring it remove all 3rd party apps? I appreciate any advice you or anyone can offer. Thanks.
Whoops sorry...here's the working link:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70821.vormd/iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw

As long as you are going from 1.0.2. to 1.0.2, you should not have any problems restoring your unlocked phone. (If you're using Windows, remember to hold the Shift key down while pressing restore). It's only when going to 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 that you'll run into major problems.

However, if you're looking for a way to re-lock your phone, I don't believe a restore will do that. It is my understanding that you would have to flash the baseband (modem) to a virgin state again, which I do not have any info on. But perhaps someone who is in your situation can help out, as I have never attempted to unlock my phone.

LBrown

Oct 14, 2007
Whoops sorry...here's the working link:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70821.vormd/iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw

As long as you are going from 1.0.2. to 1.0.2, you should not have any problems restoring your unlocked phone. (If you're using Windows, remember to hold the Shift key down while pressing restore). It's only when going to 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 that you'll run into major problems.

However, if you're looking for a way to re-lock your phone, I don't believe a restore will do that. It is my understanding that you would have to flash the baseband (modem) to a virgin state again, which I do not have any info on. But perhaps someone who is in your situation can help out, as I have never attempted to unlock my phone.
OMG It worked! A million thanks to enigmanic for the 1.0.2 firmware and instructions from unlock.no @ http://iPhone.unlock.no/.

In case anyone was wondering. My phone was giving me a white screen when I go to wake it up. It's really random when it happens. I can still slide to unlock, but as I mentioned, the entire screen is white. Sometimes a hard restart will get it back to normal. This may be due to all the apps I installed or by using an iPod charger ... I don't know. All I know is I woke up one morning (2 days after I unlocked it), my iPhone in the charger and the screen was completely WHITE. I brought it back to guys who unlocked it for me and they told me to restore to version 1.1.1. Skeptical that it would brick my phone, I did some research and reaching out on this forum and found the solution.

Desperate and sadden that my iPhone is iCrap, I restored it with the 1.0.2 firmware provided by enigmanic. Then bypassed the activation screen with instructions from http://iPhone.unlock.no/. Surprising, my phone doesn't get the white screen of death anymore (crossing fingers). Not everything is working yet, such as youtube and edge, but I'm a happy camper. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Thanks again for your help enigmanic!

exilio

Oct 4, 2007
Maybe someone can help me out ... I keep getting the same error message EVERY TIME I try to "downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2.

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1).

Could this error be attributed to the fact that my iTunes library is on a external hard drive which my MacBook connects to via my Airport Base Station?

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Hmmm...now you've got me thinking (that's always dangerous :p ). Let's say somebody updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 by mistake. And, what I mean "by mistake" is, they were informed that they would be able to install 3rd party apps on 1.1.1 like they did on 1.0.2, but then realizied that was not the case. So they followed the procedure to "downgrade" back to 1.0.2, which requires the use of apptap twice in the final steps. They never unlocked or attempted to unlock their iPhone in anyway.

Now they wish to restore their "downgraded" 1.0.2 iPhone to a "clean" unmodded 1.0.2 again, removing all apps and any sign of modding. If they attempt the "restore" to 1.0.2 by using the "shift key + clicking on restore in iTunes, what will happen? Will the process once again end up with an error message in which apptap has to be used again? Or will it restore to a totally "clean" version of 1.0.2? Anybody attempted this?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Downgrading is a completely different process than restoring to the same firmwire or upgrading. To downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2, the easiest method by far is using iBrickr (I think this is for Windows only however):

http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr

Note that this will not debrick phones that were unlocked before the upgrade. So use this method only if your phone has not been unlocked.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Hmmm...now you've got me thinking (that's always dangerous :p ). Let's say somebody updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 by mistake. And, what I mean "by mistake" is, they were informed that they would be able to install 3rd party apps on 1.1.1 like they did on 1.0.2, but then realizied that was not the case. So they followed the procedure to "downgrade" back to 1.0.2, which requires the use of apptap twice in the final steps. They never unlocked or attempted to unlock their iPhone in anyway.

Now they wish to restore their "downgraded" 1.0.2 iPhone to a "clean" unmodded 1.0.2 again, removing all apps and any sign of modding. If they attempt the "restore" to 1.0.2 by using the "shift key + clicking on restore in iTunes, what will happen? Will the process once again end up with an error message in which apptap has to be used again? Or will it restore to a totally "clean" version of 1.0.2? Anybody attempted this?
Anybody have some thoughts on this? My thoughts behind wanting to know this are that at some point in the future, IF (and I know that's a big IF) Apple does indeed allow for 3rd party apps (either via iTunes OR other native 3rd party apps) I would want to have a "clean" (virginized) iPhone to start with prior to some future update. I realize, that no matter what I do now, I will NOT be able to achieve a "clean" (virginized) 1.0.2 iPhone, since I had previously updated to 1.1.1, and the baseband is still that of 1.1.1 firmware. But what went through my mind is, if I was able to achieve a "clean" 1.0.2, prior to updating once again to 1.1.1, would that give me a "clean" 1.1.1? OR, would merely updating NOW (or sometime in the near future) once again to 1.1.1 from my modded 1.0.2 (with 1.1.1 baseband), would THAT in fact give me a "clean" 1.1.1 from which to start at?

Thoughts anybody? Tinman? You're pretty good at this stuff. What do you think?

adidaz788

Oct 12, 2007
I need help...

I have 1.0.2 on my iPhone with 3rd party apps on it but its not unlocked i still use AT&T and I am trying to just restore it to 1.0.2. I downloaded the 1.0.2 update file and I hit shift and click restore then I select to open the 1.0.2 and it just takes me back to iTunes. what am I doing wrong?