1.1.1 and unlocked iPhone still on AT&T

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tymphillips

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
HELP! 1.1.1 and unlocked iPhone still on AT&T

I want to upgrade to 1.1.1 but I unlocked my iPhone just for the heck of it. I still am on AT&T's network with my AT&T sim card. Is it safe?

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
im curious to know the same - but so far, it looks like unlocked phones are crashing with the new update

tymphillips

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
I just did the update. And now it says that the sim card is invalid. Now I'm trying to restore but don't know where to find 1.0.2 on a windows machine. HELP!

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I just did the update. And now it says that the sim card is invalid. Now I'm trying to restore but don't know where to find 1.0.2 on a windows machine. HELP!
search 1.0.2 in the searchbar, i know i dl'd the 1.o.2 firmware from here somewhere
ill post back when i find a link

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
umm sorry to say tym - so far, it looks like if you try the 1.1.1 update, there's no going back... read up in the iPhone software threads by nikos - onece you go 1.1.1 - you're done.

I got it. Tried restoring back to 1.0.2 and no luck. HELP!

iDutch

Sep 8, 2007
umm sorry to say tym - so far, it looks like if you try the 1.1.1 update, there's no going back... read up in the iPhone software threads by nikos - onece you go 1.1.1 - you're done.
So i guess it's a big NO right now to upgrade, if you have unlocked the phone with iBrickr?

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
What happens if you put original (non registered) sim back ?

If you have an unlocked iPhone don't upgrade. NO NO NO! my iPhone is on the screen with incorrect sim.
I know that at best you would have to register with AT&T, but what does your phone do if you put the AT&T sim back in ? I assume that iTunes would then prompt for registration with AT&T.

Am I correct, or has Apple done something worse than just forcing to register with AT&T ?

tymphillips

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
My AT&T sim is installed. I unlocked it just for the heck of it. I still used ATT sim and network. Apple just told me I was screwed up the a*s!

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Now that does surprise me

My AT&T sim is installed. I unlocked it just for the heck of it. I still used ATT sim and network. Apple just told me I was screwed up the a*s!
I am surprised that they would render a registered (but unlocked) phone useless. Part of me thinks that they will release a way for you to recover your phone, but on the other hand that would give hackers one more helpful piece of code, so maybe not.

I know that the dev team was / is working on a re-lock program. With any luck 1.0.2 users that have unlocked will at least be able to re-lock and upgrade if they chose to do so.

On another note, any chance Apple was smart enough to make 1.0.2 expire at some point in time requiring an upgrade ?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I am surprised that they would render a registered (but unlocked) phone useless. Part of me thinks that they will release a way for you to recover your phone, but on the other hand that would give hackers one more helpful piece of code, so maybe not.

I know that the dev team was / is working on a re-lock program. With any luck 1.0.2 users that have unlocked will at least be able to re-lock and upgrade if they chose to do so.

On another note, any chance Apple was smart enough to make 1.0.2 expire at some point in time requiring an upgrade ?
Do you mean require in update or you can't use iTunes? I just don't see any other way that could "require" it besides sending an Apple employee to your house with a gun...

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Require an update or you can't use your phone

Do you mean require in update or you can't use iTunes? I just don't see any other way that could "require" it besides sending an Apple employee to your house with a gun...
Actually, what I meant was that they could have something in 1.0.x that at some point in the future just says "warning, you have xx days to update your firmware or your iPhone will no longer function".

If they are really into seriously preventing the unlock they would have built such a check into the firmware. Only time will tell, but they definitely could have built something into 1.0.x knowing that by say late fall much newer firmware would be out.

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Actually, what I meant was that they could have something in 1.0.x that at some point in the future just says "warning, you have xx days to update your firmware or your iPhone will no longer function".
dude. seriously? do you really need to give them ideas?

it's windows all over again...