1.1.1 iPhone update kills 3rd party apps, ability to make calls on unlocked iPhones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
"Unless you live under a rock within the Brazilian Rain Forest you already know that the 1.1.1 iPhone update released this Thursday not only killed third-party applications it prevented them from being used thereafter. It also will kill unlocked iPhones, rendering them incapable of making phone calls.

But what you might not know is the man most likely responsible for this heavy-handedness, Steve Jobs, once sold illegal "blue boxes" which were built by his friend and future Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak. These boxes tricked the phone system into allowing free phone calls. The (only) phone company back then was AT&T.

Is that ironic or what?"

Also posted here:
http://justanotheriPhoneblog.com/wordpress/2007/09/29/the-irony-that-is-steve-jobs/

More info here:
http://www.9to5mac.com/steve-jobs-hacks-phones-234556455

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Good read, it reminded me of something I wrote a bit ago, so I dug it up and had a laugh. I wrote this in a thread that was discussing the CNN story on Steve Jobs and his "Master Plan" towards iPhone Hacking:

I'm sorry to double post, but this article has really intrigued me on Apple's stance to hacking.

You have to understand, that in their youth, Mr.Jobs and Mr.Wozniak had gone into the "Blue Box" businesss. They were essentially "Phreaking."

Mr. Jobs and Mr. Wozniak were also active members in, The Homebrew Computer Club. You read it correctly, Homebrew.

Without turning this into a wall of text, I think Apple has become the "IBM" stature of company that Mr. Jobs disliked in his younger years. The spin, however, is that because this is Mr. Jobs' company he has the ability to break the mold of the cold-corporation stereotype.

Hacking "IBM" hardware/software was akin to showing the big corporation that they can't overlook the little guy. Apple's current stance is already contrary to what a typical course of action would be. With ATT setting lose the dogs, Apple's hands are clean.

Apple is essentially hosting a virtual playground for hackers, but it comes with a word of caution: Don't take advantage of the playground or you'll wake the giant.

I think for as long as we see applications that bring a legitimate purpose to the iPhone, we'll continue to use the same old jailbreak executable with each firmware upgrade. However, once hacking starts affecting Apple's bottom line by circumventing security measures to protect intellectual properties you can start running for the gates because the playground is now closed.

In other words, once Apple starts selling it's own ring tones via iTunes you can kiss this happy little community goodbye until we get a new jailbreak.
The Irony...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Heh heh, I must of missed that post.

But yes this sure does seem ironic. Especially when you consider unlocking a cellphone is not illegal, but using a box that allows free phone calls certainly was--let alone selling the darn things. AND they were making free phone calls at AT&T's expense. Wow.

And all I want are my 3rd party app backs.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I thought Apple was the company that rallied against big brother, and not the company that had become big brother.

--
Mike

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
"Think inDifferent". My, has time changed! 1984 was significant and refreshing. 2007 is all about the dead presidents.

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Yes, I remember hearing about this, I think it was on some tech show or maybe the history channel. Very ironic, but all thats in the past and the 'blue box' never really broke att or caused the millions in loss. It was quickly put out of use by att when upgrades were made.

Derek Gisriel

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, I remember hearing about this, I think it was on some tech show or maybe the history channel. Very ironic, but all thats in the past and the 'blue box' never really broke att or caused the millions in loss. It was quickly put out of use by att when upgrades were made.

Derek Gisriel
"Quickly?" Hardly, they were in use for years.

--
Mike

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Ironic indeed. I did know this but I didn't remember it in this context! Oh how times (and people) change! SJ would probably say that he was wrong then and the hackers are wrong now, although it is arguable that what he did was much more clearly immoral and pure stealing than what the iPhone hackers and unlockers are doing.

And before someone rushes to tell me that unlocking is tantamount to stealing from AT&T and Apple, consider this:

There are several ways in which someone could own a legally activated iPhone without any obligation to AT&T or Apple. For example, it is completely legal to buy an iPhone, activate it by signing up for AT&T service, then cancel immediately (thus not paying a cancellation fee) and keep your activated iPhone without service or further obligation to either AT&T or Apple. What's the difference between this legal state and someone who then proceeds to use this iPhone on another network? This person had zero obligation to continue to pay anything to either company and is simply choosing to use something he owns "free and clear" the way he sees fit.