1.1.1 Ringtones -Mac, 7.4.0, and MakeiPhoneRingtone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blackcat

Jul 16, 2007
I found this and people are saying it is working. You need:
-iphone (1.1.1)
-itunes 7.4.0
-Mac
-Rouge Amoebas MakeiPhoneRingtone
Here is the article:

First off you need to be using a Mac, I'm sure there is a way to do the same thing on a PC but I'm not sure how to do it.
Secondly you need to be using iTunes version 7.4.0, if you are using 7.4.2 don't worry because you can downgrade.To downgrade drag the iTunes app to your trash and install 7.4.0 using the installer found here.(link removed)
The third thing you will need is Rogue Amoebas MakeiPhoneRingtone application.
The fourth and final thing you will need is, of course, your ringtone, but it needs to be encoded in AAC.
So let's just jump right into the steps.
Put the ringtone file on the desktop so that you know where it is. Right click on the ringtone and choose “Get Info", underneath “Name & Extension" change the extension of the file to .m4r. Then double click the ringtone to have it open up in iTunes and automatically get added to the ringtone section. Sync your iPhone. You will now see that the ringtone is listed and can be chosen but does not play back, we will fix that in a second.
The next step caused a lot of people to get confused so I'll
try to keep it clear, go back to the original ringtone, not
the one in your iTunes library but the one on your desktop.
Right click on it and choose “Get Info" underneath “Name & Extension" change the extension back to .m4a. After the
extension has been changed drag the ringtone into
MakeiPhoneRingtone and it will be added into the ringtone
section. Sync your iPhone and the ringtone should play.
The only problem with this hack is that the ringtones are a
bit finicky (and it lists the ringtone twice in the ringtone
section in iTunes) many people report this workaround as
something that doesn't work but it really does. The only way I could get it to work is to do the exact steps mentioned above.
(end of article)

I don't have a Mac so I can't test it, if you get it to work let us know!

emanem2g

Oct 13, 2007
this works!

this really does work. i have tried everything and the ringtones would not show up in the selection list on the phone. than you. and frack Apple for making you pay for songs you already own!

Shazaam!

Oct 14, 2007
I just finished trying this. It works. On thing that isn't mentioned in the description above is:

After the extension has been changed drag the ringtone into MakeiPhoneRingtone and it will be added into the ringtone section with a 2 at the end of the ringtone name.

Remove the 2 from the second ringtone name so as to match the first name

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
i know what about window user. i tried like hours today trying to figure out another way to put ring on my phone but no luck

blackcat

Jul 16, 2007
I would like to ask a favor of someone who has this working with their Mac:
I will email a ringtone to you, you'd convert it using this method and email the new file back. I will read the new file with Atomic Parsley to see if I can find what us Windows users are missing that MakeiPhoneRingtones adds.
Please PM me if you'd like to help.
:cool: