1.1.1 What am I doing wrong?

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
I just downloaded the 1.1.1 Firmware, and I went ahead an downloaded the jailbreak too.

But when I click Options+Restore, I get the 1.1.1 firmware folder...which means it wont let me "Choose" it to restore with. I can open the folder, and see what it contains.

Maybe its because I download 1.1.1 zipped, but how do I rename it? Im on a Mac by the way, can anyone help?

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
i'm on PC. Don't click on the "zipped" files. Just click on the "unzip" file to let it unzip by itself.

Well every 1.1.1 link I've found starts the download process right away, it doesn't give me any options as far as renaming goes.

Once it's on my desktop, it's a folder. Same thing when I open iTunes, I click restore and browse my desktop and there is "iPhone 1,1_1"

According to all the instructions I've read online, from iTunes I should just be able to "Choose" the file off my desktop...instead its a folder.:(

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Well every 1.1.1 link I've found starts the download process right away, it doesn't give me any options as far as renaming goes.

Once it's on my desktop, it's a folder. Same thing when I open iTunes, I click restore and browse my desktop and there is "iPhone 1,1_1"

According to all the instructions I've read online, from iTunes I should just be able to "Choose" the file off my desktop...instead its a folder.:(
When you download you need to do a "save as" and then put that file where ever you want it to be. Then after download go there and unzip the file before you go into iTunes to do your thang.

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
this is whats happening...

I'm at a site, with a download link. I click the link and the download begins.

The file's extension ends in .zip. The file download window opens in the desktop, I watch the file download (152 mb).

Then I go to iTunes, force the phone into Restore mode, the option+click the restore button on iTunes.

It opens the file select window with all my desktop files. I see the "iPhone 1,1-1" folder but "choose" is gray because its a folder. I click the folder and it expands to two other folders containing various files.

This is where I'm stuck. I see the 1,1-1 firmware folder, but I can't select choose. The download isn't zipped, and I have no problem accessing the files it contains. I feel like I'm missing a step!

Could someone walk me through it?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Are you doing it like this?

First thing you want to do is connect your iPhone to your cpu and hold the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds when the screen goes black release the power button but continue to hold the home key until you see a message saying that there was an iPhone found in dfu mode or restore mode..

After you see that you want to hold shift and click restore and restore phone to the 1.1.1 software that you just downloaded.

At the end of the restore you will get an error messge 1015 this is good.

next you want to close iTunes and make sure its closed..

Now you want to download app tapp it can be found here....

this is whats happening...

I'm at a site, with a download link. I click the link and the download begins.

The file's extension ends in .zip. The file download window opens in the desktop, I watch the file download (152 mb).

Then I go to iTunes, force the phone into Restore mode, the option+click the restore button on iTunes.

It opens the file select window with all my desktop files. I see the "iPhone 1,1-1" folder but "choose" is gray because its a folder. I click the folder and it expands to two other folders containing various files.

This is where I'm stuck. I see the 1,1-1 firmware folder, but I can't select choose. The download isn't zipped, and I have no problem accessing the files it contains. I feel like I'm missing a step!

Could someone walk me through it?

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
yes, except I'm on Mac so instead of the shift key, I hold the "option" key.

When I do that, it allows me to browse for the file I just downloaded. No problem finding it because I save it to the desktop.

I don't even make it to the error message, or to the jailbreak step. I can choose the firmware to restore the phone. When you download the file, are you able to select it in iTunes? Or do you go into a folder and select a file. Whats the name of the file you actually choose iTunes to restore with?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
No no no no NO!

You need to download it as a zipped file!

After that, change the extension to .ipsw, so it says instead of 1.1.1.zip or something it says 1.1.1.ipsw

After that, force your phone into DFU mode (top + home then only home after it starts booting)
option + restore and then choose the ipsw file.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
This is the link for the file, as well as the name:

First thing you want to do is download Firmware 1.1.1 this can be found here.. http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iphone/061-3883.20070927.In76t/iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

Also I would do a restart of your computer, sometimes it needs it for what ever reason.

yes, except I'm on Mac so instead of the shift key, I hold the "option" key.

When I do that, it allows me to browse for the file I just downloaded. No problem finding it because I save it to the desktop.

I don't even make it to the error message, or to the jailbreak step. I can choose the firmware to restore the phone. When you download the file, are you able to select it in iTunes? Or do you go into a folder and select a file. Whats the name of the file you actually choose iTunes to restore with?

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
No no no no NO!

You need to download it as a zipped file!

After that, change the extension to .ipsw, so it says instead of 1.1.1.zip or something it says 1.1.1.ipsw

After that, force your phone into DFU mode (top + home then only home after it starts booting)
option + restore and then choose the ipsw file.
The file IS zipped. I think that's the problem, I don't know how to rename it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Okay, just found out it makes no diff.

yes its the same file, download that 1.1.1 make sure to rename it so it ends in:

_restore.ipsw

The file should like this:
iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
Okay, just found out it makes no diff.

yes its the same file, download that 1.1.1 make sure to rename it so it ends in:

_restore.ipsw

The file should like this:
Okay, but I don't know how to rename it. If I was on a PC i could figure it out, but on this MAC I'm lost.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Okay, but I don't know how to rename it. If I was on a PC i could figure it out, but on this MAC I'm lost.

To rename an item:

Select the item you want to rename and press Return.

NOTE: Because the items in the Finder window sidebar are aliases, you can’t rename them. To change the name of an item in the sidebar, locate the original item and rename it.

Type a name.

You can use numbers and most symbols. You cannot include a colon :)) or start the name with a period (.). Some applications may not allow you to use a slash (/) in a filename.

Press Return.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Thanks for coming to the rescue.:)

To rename an item:

Select the item you want to rename and press Return.

NOTE: Because the items in the Finder window sidebar are aliases, you can’t rename them. To change the name of an item in the sidebar, locate the original item and rename it.

Type a name.

You can use numbers and most symbols. You cannot include a colon :)) or start the name with a period (.). Some applications may not allow you to use a slash (/) in a filename.

Press Return.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Alright then.

First make sure you have the 1.1.1 file on your desktop. If it is a .zip file, leave it that way. If it is not, right click the file and click 'Compress <insert file name>'. This will convert the file into a .zip file.

Now to rename. Single-click on the .zip file - do not un-zip, just single click. Now press either Return or Enter on the keyboard. The name of the file will now be highlighted, and you can rename it. The default name of the file is this:
However, the beginning of the file name does not matter. As long as it ends in .ispw, you're good to go.

- John