1.1.2 Custom Ringtones with iBrickr

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
So, this post assumes you have a 1.1.2 jailbroken iPhone with iBrickr 0.91 running on a Windows PC. (iBrickr does work with 1.1.2 btw)
Im not sure if this has already been posted or not. I was playing with iBrickr tonight and made a couple of attempts to upload an m4r file into different folders to see if they would show up in my phone.
Finally I got it to work...
First click on Files...

Then click on Library...

Then Ringtones...

Then click on UPLOAD FILES and select an m4r file. Here is one after I uploaded "The Package"...

Here is a shot of the custom ringtones I added using iTunes, notice how they show up in a section labeled "Custom"....

And a shot of the new ringtone added using iBrickr...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Well shyn, Im glad I was finally able to help someone on these forums!
Yeah, after I figured this out I moved all of my ringtones here instead of having the custom section now they are all listed with the others. I also used iBrickr to delete some of the stock ringtones I didn't like.
Im not sure if this holds up through a sync though. I haven't had a chance to sync it.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
For anyone who cares...this method does hold up through a sync. I find this method a lot easier then the ones Ive used in the past which involves multiple steps in iTunes. You don't need to worry about length of the tone either.
I haven't tried putting the MP3 file in the ringtones directory, but every m4r file Ive tried has worked.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you for sharing this with us. For those of us that use swaptunes to sync with two separate computers this is very helpful. Before this I had to copy the ringtones off the phone through ssh an then resync them on each of the two computers (ringtones added through iTunes store them in the /var/root/media/iTunes_control.... folder and swaptunes renames that folder depending upon which computer your syncing with). So if I had it set for my home computer it would play one ringtone and then if I swapped it to the other computer a default built in ringtone played instead.
Using this method all my ringtones are seen by the phone as built in ringtones and always available. Very nice find and thank you again for sharing the information with us.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
One other thing, iBrickr works with jailbroken 1.1.2 but there are some problems with installing some of the Applications using that program. It works great for file transfers and such but be careful when installing software. I suspect it has to do with permissions but I had several severe problems with software installed using the iBrickr pxl onto the phone.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
One other thing, iBrickr works with jailbroken 1.1.2 but there are some problems with installing some of the Applications using that program. It works great for file transfers and such but be careful when installing software. I suspect it has to do with permissions but I had several severe problems with software installed using the iBrickr pxl onto the phone.
Good warning Griff. But do you have any examples? I used iBrickr to upload a couple of apps and haven't had any issues with those apps. Granted Ive only loaded like 3 apps with iBrickr, I prefer to load all of them from the Installer app so I know when there is an update to that app. But I used iBrickr to load my NES app and all my ROMs as well as a few others I cant think of right now with no problems.
I wish the author would update iBrickr though. Would be nice if it was fully functional like when it was 1.0.2.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Good warning Griff. But do you have any examples? I used iBrickr to upload a couple of apps and haven't had any issues with those apps. Granted Ive only loaded like 3 apps with iBrickr, I prefer to load all of them from the Installer app so I know when there is an update to that app. But I used iBrickr to load my NES app and all my ROMs as well as a few others I cant think of right now with no problems.
I wish the author would update iBrickr though. Would be nice if it was fully functional like when it was 1.0.2.
Unfortunately I can't remember what they were. I installed about 20 applications using iBrickr and my phone started crashing, when it wasn't crashing only certain programs would launch, when I removed them and installed them again through installer there were no problems with it. I had posted something about it in another persons post and unfortunately have not been able to find it again. The responses I got to my post were a lot of "Don't use iBrickr", "That is why iBrickr says it doesn't work with 1.1.1 or higher", etc.. I did, however, install an older version of Installer onto my phone from iBrickr recently when I ran into another problem caused by the screenshot program and it is working fine (other than not wanting to upgrade itself to a newer version) so maybe it was just a fluke at the time but from the responses I got from others that had tried Applications installed from iBrickr it appeared to be pretty common to have problems with them.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah, that makes sense. A lot of people say they cant get it to work at all with anything above 1.1.1. All I know is that it works well for something like this.

On another note...this method can probably be transfered to any application that allows access to the actual files on the iPhone. Not just iBrickr. Just upload the m4r file to /Library/Ringtones and you should be golden.

Feb 16, 2008
ringtone format

Yeah, that makes sense. A lot of people say they cant get it to work at all with anything above 1.1.1. All I know is that it works well for something like this.

On another note...this method can probably be transfered to any application that allows access to the actual files on the iPhone. Not just iBrickr. Just upload the m4r file to /Library/Ringtones and you should be golden.

Hi iMerlin..
Thanks to this post, im hopeful of getting custom ringtones in my iPhone 1.1.2. i am able to put the ringtone in, but the problem is that it doesn tplay, probably because its an mp3 format. Do i need to convert the file to an m4r format and then put it in the phone? Do u know of any such converters? or perhaps tell me how should i do this. I have just got the phone like 10-15 days back, and got it unlocked, don't even have any third party applications as well. Please guide.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey Chad. You do need to convert the files. Its pretty simple. Basically you do it all through iTunes. Find the file you want as a ringtone. Right click the file and select convert to AAC. Then right click on the AAC file and select show in Windows Explorer. Once the Explorer window opens, right click on the actual AAC file and rename it with an m4r extension. Then use my method to put that m4r file into the appropriate folder.

I have since upgraded to 1.1.3 and haven't tried this method again so it isn't really fresh in my mind. Let me know if it works for you. So here is a good thread that describes the method in more detail...
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/create-edit-ringtones-through-itunes-only-windows.14882/

Last edited by a moderator: