1.1.2 Jailbreak Problem

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
So, I followed the guide to update to 1.1.2 using the touchfree process, and after getting totally stuck in 1.0.2 hell, I finally got up to 1.1.1 again. I kept having the same problem with iBrickr, and now this is affecting my 1.1.2 progress:

Every time I install OktoPrep, and go to update to 1.1.2, iTunes starts "Preparing to update", and then the phone just dumps to the "connect to iTunes" screen and the phone is bricked, I can't kick it to reboot it, I have to restore and start all over again. Anyone else had this problem?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
So, I followed the guide to update to 1.1.2 using the touchfree process, and after getting totally stuck in 1.0.2 hell, I finally got up to 1.1.1 again. I kept having the same problem with iBrickr, and now this is affecting my 1.1.2 progress:

Every time I install OktoPrep, and go to update to 1.1.2, iTunes starts "Preparing to update", and then the phone just dumps to the "connect to iTunes" screen and the phone is bricked, I can't kick it to reboot it, I have to restore and start all over again. Anyone else had this problem?

I am not familiar with the "touchfree process"....anyhoo looks like a restore.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Have you got the latest version of iTunes? I've never seen this from a phone before. Does it happen at the same point always? or sort of at random through the update process? Is your Internet connection solid?

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Have you got the latest version of iTunes? I've never seen this from a phone before. Does it happen at the same point always? or sort of at random through the update process? Is your Internet connection solid?
The "connect to iTunes" screen only comes up when I try to update the iPhone while it is activated and running normally. It reboots the phone and almost immediately goes from the Apple to the "connect to iTunes" screen. It doesn't matter if it's jailbroken or legit, it does it no matter what. The only time I can get it to restore successfuly is if it's in restore mode, so I can't really ever update.

I've had it successfuly updated to 1.1.2 WITHOUT Oktoprep, but that's only because I've put it into restore mode.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
So the problem is upgrading - a guess would be your iTunes is duff, or you have a strange internet situation that doesn't allow iTunes to download the upgrade file. Or the upgrade file has been downloaded but somehow managed to get munged.

£10 says the phone is Ok.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
So the problem is upgrading - a guess would be your iTunes is duff, or you have a strange internet situation that doesn't allow iTunes to download the upgrade file. Or the upgrade file has been downloaded but somehow managed to get munged.

£10 says the phone is Ok.
It has nothing to do with downloading anything - I've got all three iPhone restore files - they all work. I've restored the phone successfuly with all three after putting the phone (in various manners) into Restore mode (with the "connect to iTunes" icon on the phone), with 100% success.

The problem comes when I try to use iTunes to "update" the phone to any firmware. The phone restarts as iTunes tells me it is "preparing the iPhone for restore". Then the phone crashes and is in restore mode, and is bricked until I restart iTunes and it detects the phone and I can restore it. This happens without fail every time I decide to try to update the phone.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
From reading the instructions, wasn't the phone supposed to error out at some point, and then you use one of tools supplied in the jailbreak package to bring it back out of that loop you're stuck in?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I recall when I used the Touchfree method to jailbreak, iTunes needed to be closed and that ALL instances of iTunes (anything in your processes that says Apple or iPod) needed to be stopped through the task manager before jailbreaking.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The problem here will be found somewhere between the back of the chair and the keyboard. Which guide recommends downloading THREE restore files? Tear it up and find another.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
The problem here will be found somewhere between the back of the chair and the keyboard. Which guide recommends downloading THREE restore files? Tear it up and find another.
What did you say?

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
The problem here will be found somewhere between the back of the chair and the keyboard. Which guide recommends downloading THREE restore files?
***************I was simply talking about the 1.0.2, 1.1.1, and 1.1.2 restore files, to demonstrate that I could indeed restore from the emergency restore mode. I'm not talking about any particular guide, I'm saying in general. Methinks you've got the problem reading and comprehending here. Not everything is in the context of a step-by-step guide.

I was simply asking if anyone has had a problem where the iPhone will not update with the phone running as it should, jailbroken or otherwise, but can only restore from the iPhone emergency restore mode?

x999x, here's the sequence of events - I restore to 1.1.1 stock. I then jailbreak the phone through jailbreakme.com - Install BSD Subsystem, then OpenSSH, and then OktoPrep. The following step is where I get fucked - I then attempt to "update" to 1.1.2 through iTunes, which is the next step in the sequence the guide I had been referring to was mentioning. The iPhone then crashes to the "connect to iTunes" screen and cannot be kicked to reboot, I have to restore to get it to work again.

I should mention that I have a 1.1.1 native phone, not a 1.1.2 OOB phone. I have unlocked it before and used T-Mobile, so it's not a 1.1.2 native phone.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Its cool to be frustrated, but you're the one that needed help. Although Brill can be misunderstood at times, you don't help your cause by calling him an *******. Further, there's no need for the use of profanity.

Contrary to what you may believe, there are minors on this site!

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Its cool to be frustrated, but you're the one that needed help. Although Brill can be misunderstood at times, you don't help your cause by calling him an *******. Further, there's no need for the use of profanity.

Contrary to what you may believe, there are minors on this site!
Sorry to be crude, but I don't appreciate people assuming I don't know what I'm doing, when I do, and I need help with a specific problem.

And if there are minors on this site, I'm sure reading a word that they've read millions of other places on the internet is not going to corrupt them further.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Sorry to be crude, but I don't appreciate people assuming I don't know what I'm doing, when I do, and I need help with a specific problem.

And if there are minors on this site, I'm sure reading a word that they've read millions of other places on the internet is not going to corrupt them further.
They won't read it here. There are rules in place and I'd ask that you abide by them.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I remember a few months ago there was (somehow) an Introduction thread started by a 12 year old.

- John

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
They won't read it here. There are rules in place and I'd ask that you abide by them.
Coming from the admin (I'm a mod on another forum) I'll respect that. I didn't realize it was an official rule.

I remember posting on the internets when I was 13 or so.