1.1.3 + Battery Life?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
(Here we go...)

I know it's probably too early to tell yet, but I went to bed with a nearly fully-charged iPhone last night, so I left it unplugged. Normally when I do this, I lose nothing overnight (~6 hours) while in standby, but this morning it was down almost 1/3.

I'm not concerned yet until I test it a bit more, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed something similar since updating?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
(Here we go...)

I know it's probably too early to tell yet, but I went to bed with a nearly fully-charged iPhone last night, so I left it unplugged. Normally when I do this, I lose nothing overnight (~6 hours) while in standby, but this morning it was down almost 1/3.

I'm not concerned yet until I test it a bit more, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed something similar since updating?

Yeah I noticed it to, but I was on the iPhone a lot yesterday and contribute it to that, but I charged mine all night, so will see how it does today.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
charge the phone and reboot it to make sure that the "meter" is correctly synced with actual battery usage.
Also, make sure that you didn't inadvertantly leave something "on" overnight.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
It seems the same for me after the update. No change.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
My perception is that it is better, but there are so many variables. I left the WiFi on and it hardly went down at all overnight. Then again I'm out in the country so maybe I had a good connection to the cell tower last night. Anytime the signal is poor it takes more power. At the least, I don't think the battery drain is worse.

P.S. I updated my husband's iPhone last night, after doing mine earlier. He's not into it as much as I am (it's a tool -- nice tool, he loves it, but tool) He was totally delighted by the new features.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I always have Bluetooth and wifi on. I left it unplugged last night after a full charge and this morning it was still almost full.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well that's good to hear. I'm gonna run her down today and give it a full charge to "reset the meter" and see if that helps. Again, this was one night, and I wasn't FULLY charged, so it may be a fluke.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Do not run it down! It's actually bad for the battery. Just charge it, shut it off, and then bring it back up, you should be fine after that.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Same time here. Been listening to music all day, and I've hardly lost any power.

- John

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This same thing happened to a co-worker of mine and he actually had to borrow my charger today after charging fully last night.

We both updated to 1.1.3 and while my battery seems normal, his seems to be on meth or something.

I told him to give it a few charge cycles/days to be sure. This guy almost never updates and never restarts so I am going to have him at least to a soft reset when he brings my charger back.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I noticed the battery draining a lot faster. Although I have been playing around with the google map locater. Every where I go I click to locate my current position. It works well by the way... Hopefully battery life is just a fluke since we are using it more

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Mine seems to be even better, ive been surfing the forums today and i let it charge all last night. I took it off this morning and its been of for 9-10 hours still full battery. YAY iPHONE! :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I didn't let it run down, I charged her up and she seems to be holding a full charge in standby after about 2 hours. So I'm guessing it was a fluke.

Again, the original drain was while the phone was in standby overnight, not in use.

Tony, I would fully expect the battery to drain faster from using the google locate feature, seeing as how this is behavior you never did before!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'm sitting at 6 hours of usage time according to the phone since I last plugged it in and I'm at about 50%. I charged it up fully last time it was plugged in. I'm sure it's because I don't have any 3rd party apps on here (yet *fingers crossed*) but I'm liking the battery life.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sorry guys, I have to revisit this.

Ok, so the operational use of the phone doesn't seem any different. When I'm surfing away for over an hour, I don't notice any more appreciable drop in battery than pre-1.1.3.

However, standby time still seems to be noticeably diminished. I say that because at work, I have light days and I have busy days. On light days, I hit record, let someone play through a song, music is horrible, so I surf. On heavy days, I don't get a second to breath, so I barely touch my phone.

So lately on my "heavy days", I notice I'm halfway down on battery at the end of the day. It wasn't like that before.... 3/4 maybe. Anyway, just pointing out that picky ol' me still feels battery life is slightly diminished in 1.1.3.

Do others agree?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Sorry guys, I have to revisit this.

Ok, so the operational use of the phone doesn't seem any different. When I'm surfing away for over an hour, I don't notice any more appreciable drop in battery than pre-1.1.3.

However, standby time still seems to be noticeably diminished. I say that because at work, I have light days and I have busy days. On light days, I hit record, let someone play through a song, music is horrible, so I surf. On heavy days, I don't get a second to breath, so I barely touch my phone.

So lately on my "heavy days", I notice I'm halfway down on battery at the end of the day. It wasn't like that before.... 3/4 maybe. Anyway, just pointing out that picky ol' me still feels battery life is slightly diminished in 1.1.3.

Do others agree?
After the update the battery life has actually increased on my phone. Slightly atleast. Our office is an area where I don't get full bars from At&t, hence I am always short on battery life. I have turned off automatic checking of email and I have as well turned off Push in yahoo. This seemed to have helped me. I am sure that you would have done all this. Is your work in an where you get full signal from At&t?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
After the update the battery life has actually increased on my phone. Slightly atleast. Our office is an area where I don't get full bars from At&t, hence I am always short on battery life. I have turned off automatic checking of email and I have as well turned off Push in yahoo. This seemed to have helped me. I am sure that you would have done all this. Is your work in an where you get full signal from At&t?
Yeah i'm convinced that my battery life is now longer :s I've had it for a month now :D lol

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
After over a week now, I notice that I only have to charge it every other day now, and I use it the same, in fact even more that before, and I have powered down a couple of times too. So it is better.:)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
darn.... I guess I can live with the 1.1.2 till the 1.1.3 jailbreak is finalized, but I would love to have a bit more battery life than I have now.