1.1.3 bricked. need original /etc/paswd and /etc/master.passwd

xand3r

Jan 29, 2008
Hi all, I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

I soft updated my jailbroken iPhone to 1.1.3, and everything was working fine until I changed my root password.
I used the passwd command, which I now see is broken for 1.1.3.
Now my iPhone continuously restarts Springboard every 5 seconds, redering it unusable.
I am, however, still able to SSH into it. The Springboard crashes don't terminate the ssh session.

Now I see that passwd for the jailbroken 1.1.3 is broken, and the solution is to copy over the original /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd

My problem is, where can I get those files?

I've downloaded iPhone1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw and extracted 022-3743-100.dmg, but I can't get any further than that. I'm running Windows XP, by the way.

What I really would like is for someone to give me a copy of their working/original /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd that is still using the "alpine" default password.

Can anybody help me out?
Thanks,
Xand3r

xand3r

Jan 29, 2008
Well crap. I found a copy of master.passwd one these forums.

I updated that, but didn't have a passwd file to update. Now my phone hangs at the white Apple screen on boot up and I can't get in to SSH anymore.

What can I do next guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

auroches

Mar 8, 2008
Help

I have exact the same problem with friend xand3r, and really don't know what to do, there is no SSh session anymore, I think there should be a solution, please if you know about it inform us buddies.

Well crap. I found a copy of master.passwd one these forums.

I updated that, but didn't have a passwd file to update. Now my phone hangs at the white Apple screen on boot up and I can't get in to SSH anymore.

What can I do next guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If I were you I would ask these questions in the iPhone software or the iPhone modifications forum. This forum tends to be for discussion of general iPhone questions and not as much about unlocking or jailbreaking.

Good luck.