1.1.3 Dev Team jailbreak problems--and solutions

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK after doing several smooth-sailing jailbreaks using the leaked (Nate's) jb I finally did one using the dev team's. It had far more problems.

Here are a few problems and the solutions:

Can't login to Term-vt100:
You need to get into the iPhone via SSH and edit this file:
/etc/master.passwd

Change this line:
mobile:/smx7MYTQIi2M:501:501::0:0:Mobile User:/var/mobile:/bin/sh

To this:
mobile:/smx7MYTQIi2M:0:0::0:0:Mobile User:/var/mobile:/bin/sh

Change the two 501 entries to 0! Reboot iPhone and Terminal should now work fine.

Timezone setting is not saved (even though it appears to let you change it):
This is a permissions issue. Enter this via SSH (or Terminal if you have that working):
chmod 777 /var/db/timezone

Errant plist:
This plist should have been deleted during the jb process. If you have it, delete it (then reboot):
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.devteam.rm.plist

System Partition Sized too small (266MB Vs. 300MB):
This is the reason why so many run out of space so quickly. There is no fix that I am aware of for this problem so the only solution is to re-jailbreak from scratch (Nate's jb doesn't have this issue).

iTunes Contacts/Calendar/Mail syncing doesn't work:
This was discovered early on, and the dev team jb was fixed to handle it. But if not you'll need to use syncfix.sh or the fix available via Installer.

I'll post more if/as I come across them...

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So what you're saying is, use Nate's? Any real reasons to use the Dev team's? Use Nate's w/ upgrade baseband route and all is good?
yes if I did it again it would be Nate's. Nate's got a bad rep from letting 1.1.1 users go right to 1.1.3. But I really think it's less troublesome. He's updated his several times now too (and I think he even has an Installer version too).

Unfortunately, having two JBs is not helping matters.

--
Mike

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Agreed, I've been holding off until some of this makes some sense. I'll probably wait until next week, got too much going on planning a Superbowl party to yell at my phone for a couple hours!

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Have we established if any of these problems spawn from what platform you're jailbreaking on? In other words, if you're on a PC, use Nate's, and the Dev Team's for Mac.

Reason I say this is that I have not experienced any of these problems at all using the Dev Team JB. I've done it twice now, the 2nd was to upgrade my BB, and in both cases it was smooth sailing.

What I thought was a Sync error in my first JB turned out to be my own incompetence on Macs. I wasn't syncing data other than media because I didn't have it enabled under the Info tab in iTunes :p

Aug 9, 2007
So Tinman, what's the short and sweet solution for someone in my position? I successfuly went from jb'd 1.1.1 to jb'd 1.1.3, except my ringtones had no sound. finally my phone locked up and i had to restore with "Apple" 1.1.3 (no longer jb'd). So should I get back to 1.1.1, JB, go to 1.1.2, JB, and then use Nate's 1.1.3 soft jailbreak? If I go this route, will I need to tweak anything further (baseband, locateme function, etc.?).
I was going to try x666x's tutorial tonight.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Crash, you are exactly where I was, at 1.1.3 stock on an OTB 1.0.2. I did as you are thinking and went back to 1.1.1 JB then 1.1.2 JB then Nate's soft JB to 1.1.3. I have had no problems except the issue with the Google locate not working after a reboot unless you first use the app LocateMe.

Go fo it! :cool:

Sep 29, 2007
Of course me I had problems all the time with this. I have experienced an endless reboot once, a not syncing to iTunes and then iTunes puts it into DFU mode, next time I got it to work and plug it into iTunes and it says its damaged and won't sync yet again.

Right now there has been an update since last I've tried so it trying now but has been at "Attempting to reboot.." for quite awhile.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Have we established if any of these problems spawn from what platform you're jailbreaking on? In other words, if you're on a PC, use Nate's, and the Dev Team's for Mac.

Reason I say this is that I have not experienced any of these problems at all using the Dev Team JB. I've done it twice now, the 2nd was to upgrade my BB, and in both cases it was smooth sailing.
I guarantee you've had some of these problems. For starters the whole need to use BossTool to immediately move Applications off of the system partition is due to an error in the dev team's jb. It has been corrected in some versions out there but that only leads to more confusion. This was never an issue with Nate's.

The timezone issue you won't see right away, especially if you use network time. But you probably have that problem too. See here:
http://george.zjlotto.com/index.php/2008/01/28/official-jailbreak-113-issues/

And you more than likely have the Terminal issue, as to my knowledge that hasn't been fixed yet.

Which brings me to another point: there are now at least 4 versions of the "official" dev team jb out there floating around. This is absurd, IMO. Nate has updated his several times now too.

So now we have to decide, not only what jb to use, but which version. Of course we can't decide which version since the various releases don't tell you enough to be able to tell.

I gotta say this 1.1.3 jb fiasco has caused me to question whether I should even bother with it anymore. I firmly believe they should have let Nate's version stand, and support it. Instead the kids--and I am sorry but that is what they act like--decided to split off with their own and now we have God-knows how many versions out there, each with their own issues.

Meanwhile none of them let me use the one 1.1.3 feature I cared about: movie rentals.

I'm seriously considering going back to 1.1.2, or even stock 1.1.3, until a true 1.1.3 jb appears. Since starting this thread I've had numerous other issues arise (like having my ringtones and music consistently wiped out).

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So Tinman, what's the short and sweet solution for someone in my position? I successfuly went from jb'd 1.1.1 to jb'd 1.1.3, except my ringtones had no sound. finally my phone locked up and i had to restore with "Apple" 1.1.3 (no longer jb'd). So should I get back to 1.1.1, JB, go to 1.1.2, JB, and then use Nate's 1.1.3 soft jailbreak? If I go this route, will I need to tweak anything further (baseband, locateme function, etc.?).
I was going to try x666x's tutorial tonight.
Guess I'm too late but if I were you I'd use 999's tutorial for most of it: the meat of that tutorial is getting from stock 1.1.3 back to jb 1.1.2. Once on jb 1.1.2 you can decide whether to go with Nate's or the Dev Team's. Right now I'd have to recommend Nate's.

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I guarantee you've had some of these problems. For starters the whole need to use BossTool to immediately move Applications off of the system partition is due to an error in the dev team's jb. It has been corrected in some versions out there but that only leads to more confusion. This was never an issue with Nate's.

--
Mike
I may not have had the exact same issue, but I did find that with Nate's method (second time round, right way, from 112 to 113) I still ran into issues with Installer warning on running low on space very quickly - with less than 1/3 of the apps I used to have installed under 1.1.1.

Small tangent here, but related - maybe you could offer a brief primer on how this 'Space for Apps' issue will be treated post-SDK. Once apps are purchasable, are we likely to see a whole bunch more space usable to install to? I ask because I'm a terrible horder of apps, like running tons of apps, would happily trade a bit less space for songs / video etc. for more applications, if the choice was there. Is that something we should see happening post-SDK? Don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe you could open a new thread on this Mike?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I may not have had the exact same issue, but I did find that with Nate's method (second time round, right way, from 112 to 113) I still ran into issues with Installer warning on running low on space very quickly - with less than 1/3 of the apps I used to have installed under 1.1.1.
That's normal, since the firmware itself is a bit larger. But combine that with a smaller OS partition and you wouldn't have installed nearly as many as 1/3 of your previous apps. Here's more detail regarding the dev team OS partition issue:
"Issue: Wrong System Partition Size

The partition size is wrong, the system partition is 266MB (279520256 bytes) after the upgrade, so you’ll lose 34MB after the upgrade, it’s a huge space loss considering the total size is only 300MB (314572800 bytes) and you’re gonna put some 3rd party applications on it. The leaked method doesn’t have this issue, it correctly expands the rootfs to 300MB.

This explains why the official jailbreak puts the terminfo into /var/root, and uses a symbolic link in /usr/share, because there’s not enough space to put them on the rootfs without that 34MB.

NOTE: my temporary workaround is to manually create the rootfs in the way introduced in the Leaked Jailbreak 1.1.3, then use the official script (need to patch) to do the rest, some post-upgrade fixes are required for this mixed method though.

UPDATE: the newly released Jailbreak 1.1.3-2 has fixed this issue, it fetches a copy of the 1.1.2 rootfs, removes all its contents, and copies 1.1.3 contents over it, thus has the correct partition size.

UPDATE: the image manipulation is done in a binary Upgrade with the help of a shell script globscript.sh, once the image is done, the other script migrate.sh will do the rest to adjust the user partition directory structuret as well as fixing the issues."

The problem with this is most people have no idea what version of the jb they have!

Small tangent here, but related - maybe you could offer a brief primer on how this 'Space for Apps' issue will be treated post-SDK. Once apps are purchasable, are we likely to see a whole bunch more space usable to install to? I ask because I'm a terrible horder of apps, like running tons of apps, would happily trade a bit less space for songs / video etc. for more applications, if the choice was there. Is that something we should see happening post-SDK? Don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe you could open a new thread on this Mike?
Well considering the media partition for stock iPhones does not allow app execution I expect this'll get handled via another firmware update. I would imagine they can tweak the partition ratio, or perhaps instead divide it into yet another, applications, partition. Or perhaps there is something already built-in, but currently unused, in which case 1.1.3 as-is will be fine. But in any case I don't think the current space limitation will be there, or at least not as severe.

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well considering the media partition for stock iPhones does not allow app execution I expect this'll get handled via another firmware update. I would imagine they can tweak the partition ratio, or perhaps instead divide it into yet another, applications, partition. Or perhaps there is something already built-in, but currently unused, in which case 1.1.3 as-is will be fine. But in any case I don't think the current space limitation will be there, or at least not as severe.

--
Mike

OK, thanks for clarification on the post-JB space issue.

And on the apps space issue, that's what I was hoping to hear - not worried about the method so much, just keen to see that Apple wants our apps money badly enough to give us more space to dick around with :)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK, thanks for clarification on the post-JB space issue.

And on the apps space issue, that's what I was hoping to hear - not worried about the method so much, just keen to see that Apple wants our apps money badly enough to give us more space to dick around with :)
Oh I think Apple is well-aware that the minute apps are released sites like Engadget and TUAW will add every app available--and report on it. If it crashes on a stock iPhone it would not look too good at all. Plus they need a little breathing room for future updates.

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Oh I think Apple is well-aware that the minute apps are released sites like Engadget and TUAW will add every app available--and report on it. If it crashes on a stock iPhone it would not look too good at all. Plus they need a little breathing room for future updates.

--
Mike
I worry about the safety of AT&T's West Coast network once that day arrives as well, of course :laugh2:

AMJ

Dec 16, 2007
So I have a jailbroken 1.1.2 phone using AT&T service. I've been sitting back and waiting to see how this all played out because I can follow directions but am not the most technically savvy person on the planet so if I bricked my phone, I'd be lost.

All that said, would you suggest waiting to see if the Dev team further improves their app? Or is there a way to get Nate's app, and if so, from where? I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to 1.1.3, but realize I will probably need to do so eventually.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
So I have a jailbroken 1.1.2 phone using AT&T service. I've been sitting back and waiting to see how this all played out because I can follow directions but am not the most technically savvy person on the planet so if I bricked my phone, I'd be lost.

All that said, would you suggest waiting to see if the Dev team further improves their app? Or is there a way to get Nate's app, and if so, from where? I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to 1.1.3, but realize I will probably need to do so eventually.

Im interested in this too! I am wanting to update also but am afraid to lose all the cool apps in installer.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

I'm torn right now, so don't go by me. But as of this moment I would say forget it and stay with JB 1.1.2 till a better solution appears. I might just go back myself.

--
Mike