1.1.3 & Gmail (missing)

Jul 15, 2007
I don't know why, but immediately after my 1.1.3 upgrade the other day, my Gmail messages don't load (in addition to my saved msgs being deleted).

I've repeatedly deleted and reloaded the account to the unit to no avail.

It's extremely odd, especially since I didn't change any settings to this account.

Ideas?

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
With 1.1.3 the iPhone now supports GMail and IMAP. Verify your GMAIL settings online are configured to Enable IMAP.

My iPhone automatically converted my GMAIL account to IMAP with the update

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Please Help! Gmail IMAP issue on 1.1.3!

Deckmaster--are you still having this problem? I am having the exact same issue, and I'm surprised it's not happening to more people (or at least I couldn't find it in search).

I used Gmail IMAP with 1.1.2 with no problems--it was like a dream come true (total synching of all my messages). Then after 1.1.3, none of my Gmail messages would download...it would just show white space under the subject line. I did notice if I scrolled down, it would say, "This message is only partially downloaded" and a button would say, "Download remaining X KB." But hitting that button didn't do anything (it seemed like it is trying to do something, but nothing ever downloads).

I tried setting up my account again following the instructions on the Google site, and found it interesting they still suggest a manual setup (see below). Unfortunately at the end of the setup, I get a message that says "Cannot Connect Using SSL: Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL? Yes/No." I tried Yes, but that didn't seem to work either.

Can anybody help? Thanks!

This is currently on the Gmail Help site for setting up IMAP on the iPhone (when describing which email option to choose):
Tap Other. (Note: If you're running software update 1.1.3, tapping the 'Gmail' icon will automatically configure IMAP. However, archiving and deleting messages will work differently. If you want your Gmail IMAP actions to operate as designed, please continue on to Step 6).

Sam Spade

Dec 10, 2007
Deckmaster--are you still having this problem? I am having the exact same issue, and I'm surprised it's not happening to more people (or at least I couldn't find it in search).

I used Gmail IMAP with 1.1.2 with no problems--it was like a dream come true (total synching of all my messages). Then after 1.1.3, none of my Gmail messages would download...it would just show white space under the subject line. I did notice if I scrolled down, it would say, "This message is only partially downloaded" and a button would say, "Download remaining X KB." But hitting that button didn't do anything (it seemed like it is trying to do something, but nothing ever downloads).

I tried setting up my account again following the instructions on the Google site, and found it interesting they still suggest a manual setup (see below). Unfortunately at the end of the setup, I get a message that says "Cannot Connect Using SSL: Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL? Yes/No." I tried Yes, but that didn't seem to work either.

Can anybody help? Thanks!

This is currently on the Gmail Help site for setting up IMAP on the iPhone (when describing which email option to choose):
Tap Other. (Note: If you're running software update 1.1.3, tapping the 'Gmail' icon will automatically configure IMAP. However, archiving and deleting messages will work differently. If you want your Gmail IMAP actions to operate as designed, please continue on to Step 6).

I was having this problem when I updated to 1.1.3 as well. What I did was delete the custom Gmail setup that I was using in 1.1.2. Then I just re-enabled the stock Gmail setup that is included under mail in the iPhone itself. As long as IMAP is enabled on your Gmail account, it should start working properly again. (it did for me anyway)
Hopefully this helps.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I had originally tried to setup a new Gmail with the new Gmail setup, and that didn't work (I hadn't deleted the original Gmail I had set up under 1.1.2). Deleting the old one though and then creating a new one did work for me. Thanks!

Fez

Jan 24, 2008
I was having this problem when I updated to 1.1.3 as well. What I did was delete the custom Gmail setup that I was using in 1.1.2. Then I just re-enabled the stock Gmail setup that is included under mail in the iPhone itself. As long as IMAP is enabled on your Gmail account, it should start working properly again. (it did for me anyway)
Hopefully this helps.
Nice- that fixed my same problem.