1.1.3 Idea

Jan 19, 2008
Hey i'm pretty new to all this but I have an idea. It seems to me the primary problem with hacking the 1.1.3 firmware is gaining the intial access. I was a jailbroken 1.1.2 and as you all know when you upgrade some apps stay functional even though you can't access them any more ie makeitmine or the one my idea is for the little battery button that tells you what percentage of battery you have left. It seems to me all our apps are still there (they are still taking up space) so i would think openssh is still there. If someone could fab up a app that turns your openssh on and off when you hit the battery button, downgrade install it and reupgrade then hack the new root password could we gain access again? anyway i just thought since my battery app still worked maybe this idea could. let me know if anyone was the technology or the steady hands to pull of this precedure.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hey i'm pretty new to all this but I have an idea. It seems to me the primary problem with hacking the 1.1.3 firmware is gaining the intial access. I was a jailbroken 1.1.2 and as you all know when you upgrade some apps stay functional even though you can't access them any more ie makeitmine or the one my idea is for the little battery button that tells you what percentage of battery you have left. It seems to me all our apps are still there (they are still taking up space) so i would think openssh is still there. If someone could fab up a app that turns your openssh on and off when you hit the battery button, downgrade install it and reupgrade then hack the new root password could we gain access again? anyway i just thought since my battery app still worked maybe this idea could. let me know if anyone was the technology or the steady hands to pull of this precedure.
The apps are still there but the jailbreak is gone as well as the 1.1.2 baseband.

Just give it a little time, they will have the new jailbreak soon.

Welcome to the IC forum.:laugh2:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
1.) The system partition is rewritten during the update to 1.1.3. That's where SSH and the tools needed to run it are stored. No chance of running SSH on an updated 1.1.3, at least in its present incarnation.

2.) Updating to 1.1.3 re-jails the device. This means no executable permission o
n anything other than included apps. So even if you could somehow attempt to launch a non-Apple app it wouldn't run anyway.

3.) The settings changed by MakeItMine and Extended/Advanced preferences are backed up and then restored after updating--they are in plists in the Preferences folder. They are backed up and restored via iTunes. Those apps themselves are NOT still on the device. And when you tap the batter-level icon it is not running an app: that functionality is built into the Springboard, but its settings are not normally visible in Settings. The Advanced Preferences app merely unhides those options so you can get to them. But once you set them they will remain even after an update. Uninstalling Advanced Preferences before updating will restore the original plist files--but you must sync before updating else the last backup will still have the modifying settings (and then they will come back after updating).

--
Mike