1.1.3, IMAP and Gmail Harmony?

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, it is late but I have been playing around with the update and trying to see how the auto update to Gmail POP accounts or current IMAP accounts on the iPhone is doing.

If I ramble please forgive as I should be passed out right now but images of COD4 are still ingrained in my brain so I am up playing with the dern iPhone.

When IMAP first came out for the iPhone you had to set it up on the iPhone via a different menu than the "Gmail" icon in mail settings. Supposedly, the 1.1.3 update converts your POP Gmail accounts to IMAP accounts automatically. I would assume you would have to have IMAP enabled but I cannot speak to this as I always have and don't know if it is a default.

A few notes on this...

If you are using POP, get ready for your accounts to be more in sync. This could be good or bad depending on if you are ready... in that you delete on the iPhone..you delete in your Gmail.com account.

There used to be issues with sent emails (Gmail) going to your inbox. One of the solutions presented (guilty) was to create a filter in your Gmail.com acount that basically said if you get an email with the same to/from address then just trash it/file it/whatever you chose. At the same time (1.1.2) I used to have trouble getting my sent emails to show up on my iPhone at all. I think I could have the sent folder be on the phone and it would work but the sent folder on the server would not...

Anyways.... you may notice with 1.1.3 that in your advanced mail settings (mailbox behaviors) that there is no longer a sent mail option. Am I losing my mind as I SWEAR that used to be there...and you could choose server or on the iPhone...? Now only "Drafts Mailbox" and "Deleted Mailbox" is there. So what the heck do I do for my sent emails and where are they? Hmmmm.. maybe Gmail got that sent emails being sent to your inbox thing corrected but if you had setup that same to/from email address filter you are basically filtering out your sent emails..

Appears to be the case.. I tested a sent email from an account with said filter and the sent email would not show up. I tested a sent email from an account (all Gmail accounts here) without said filter and whalah, it shows up as a sent email in my sent email folder.

Finally, there have been discussions on IMAP/push/etc and while I agree that IMAP is not BB push, something is going on in that I am getting my emails very quickly without opening my mail application on my iPhone. To test this out I changed my settings to check every hour (usually check every 15) and over and over and over I got the email (without the mail app being open and being at the home screen) in less than 5 minutes.

So all that rambling later basically IMAP/Gmail seems to be rocking and rolling and if you have setup a filter long ago to not get sent messages in your inbox you may want to go delete that filter to get your sent messages in your sent folder..

I also noticed that adding accounts to Apple Mail while they already exists on your iPhone seems to be working better. Previously I had to delete them all off my phone and add them to Apple Mail and then sync via iTunes.

I am going to go pass out now.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tested again from Gmail to .mac account and with the filter in place the sent email does not show up in sent email folder. After deleting the filter in Gmail.com the sent email shows up in the sent email folder.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hmmm... I've never had any issues with IMAP on my 1.1.2 phone...

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
hmmm... I've never had any issues with IMAP on my 1.1.2 phone...
There weren't any major isssues but there were some irks with Gmail here and there, especially the getting an email from yourself when you send an email.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Dawgfan- thanks for the post on this. Did you delete your gmail account on the iPhone that you had to manually enter for IMAP and then set it back up since should automatically work with IMAP now? Or from your post you do not have IMAP?

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Dawgfan- thanks for the post on this. Did you delete your gmail account on the iPhone that you had to manually enter for IMAP and then set it back up since should automatically work with IMAP now? Or from your post you do not have IMAP?
i'd like to know as well, my imap is still not working like it should.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
There weren't any major isssues but there were some irks with Gmail here and there, especially the getting an email from yourself when you send an email.
that's what I mean, though... I've never had that problem. I did when I had POP.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I actually deleted all my Gmail accounts off my iPhone and then went back and added them all back on the iPhone via the Gmail option instead of the custom IMAP setup.

It wasn't until I killed that filter I created way back in my Gmail.com that my sent emails started acting right.

I have my email check frequency set to an hour and I have been trading emails with my fiance (she uses a BB) this morning and I am getting them within minutes. Diggin it. Some may have had this work all along but for me (who hasn't really) it is nice.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
that's what I mean, though... I've never had that problem. I did when I had POP.
It's possible that when you setup your IMAP Gmail accounts the issue had been resolved. I had to create that to/from the same Gmail address filter to correct the issue I was having.

My main reason for posting was that I had provided this Gmail filter solution and I wanted folks to know that what once was a solution was now a problem in that it was effectively blocking you from seeing your sent mail in your sent mail folder.

Just want to help, especially when the advice I gave previously could be causing an issue.

I guess it was my formal recall of my advice...:p

davpel

Jun 22, 2007
Can anyone else confirm the gmail "push" which is being reported here? Has anyone tried 1.1.3 with another (non gmail) IMAP IDLE supported mail account (e.g. Fastmail)? I'm wondering if perhaps Apple added true IDLE support as an undocumented feature.

David

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Can anyone else confirm the gmail "push" which is being reported here? Has anyone tried 1.1.3 with another (non gmail) IMAP IDLE supported mail account (e.g. Fastmail)? I'm wondering if perhaps Apple added true IDLE support as an undocumented feature.

David
I am curious to hear as well. I came from the BB and gave up true push. While what I am experiencing may not be true BB-type push, it is PLENTY fast enough for me..

The main question is if it is consistently fast enough to the point where you can count on it like you do with BB-type push.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have my Gmail account set up IMAP from before the 1.1.3 update (via the manual setup). I still have my sent folder available. And yes, it appears to be pushing. I just set it to check every hour, manually checked it, locked the phone, and emailed myself from my yahoo account. It showed up in 5 minutes. I'm testing it now with the iPhone set to only check manually. If it comes through now, I'd say it's officially pushing.

Albeit slowly.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Gmail is working great for me, this is the one thing I wanted from the update. Now if they can get the text issue corrected I would be a much happier camper!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I have my Gmail account set up IMAP from before the 1.1.3 update (via the manual setup). I still have my sent folder available. And yes, it appears to be pushing. I just set it to check every hour, manually checked it, locked the phone, and emailed myself from my yahoo account. It showed up in 5 minutes. I'm testing it now with the iPhone set to only check manually. If it comes through now, I'd say it's officially pushing.

Albeit slowly.
I have to disagree with the push. I've been testing it all afternoon (I had it hacked before to do every 5 minute). Emails were coming quick this morning. Now I changed it to 15 minutes and I've been sending myself emails and it's definitely been taking the 15 minutes to get to me. I'm gonna do further testing, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere near push (I wish I hadn't changed my hacked setting as that stayed through a restore but I can't get it back anymore until a jailbreak for 1.1.3 is released).

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
im having the same problem. how do i view the new version of gmail by using the "mail" icon on the home screen?

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
im having the same problem. how do i view the new version of gmail by using the "mail" icon on the home screen?
I don't understand this question.

If you were previously Gmail POP, you have been updated to IMAP.
If you were previously IMAP, you are not affected and are still IMAP.

I don't want to confuse anyone, I DO NOT think I am getting true BB-type push. I am getting very, very good email speed but not IM-quick email like with a BB. AND.... I don't know at this point that this will be consistent. It could be that sometimes it is fast and sometimes it takes 30 minutes.