1.1.3 Jailbreak Status Update--SDK Apps

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well it seems 1.1.3 is a rather big update, as far as jailbreakers are concerned.

For starters apps no longer run as the root user (the user with rights to do everything). They now run as the "mobile" user with less privileges. Preferences, needed by most apps, are now stored in /var/mobile instead of /var/root. This breaks most current 3rd party apps, including Installer itself. They can be modified of course but I would imagine if they have to run with less privileges some apps still won't work (i.e., they may need root access). Nate True writes about some of this here:
http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/iphone-113-firmware-behind-the-scenes-changes

It also looks like there are at least two ways to jailbreak 1.1.3 with one method to be released before the SDK. Of course, without working apps you might not want to jailbreak right now anyway.

It also appears that the core foundation for SDK apps is in place with 1.1.3. This could mean that there will be no update needed to run SDK apps. I still think Apple will release another update along with the SDK. This would be similar to how the Springboard was updated in 1.1.1 in order to handle multiple pages but it wasn't actually used by Apple till 1.1.3.

Even if another update appears with the SDK the gamble in holding up at least one jailbreak method is that the next update will be easily patched. That's not likely should Apple patch all known exploits.

The goal of course is to have both Installer type apps and SDK apps at the same time. Have your cake and eat it too so to speak.

Finally, the latest news from the dev team is that the dmg has been decrypted:
"The combined dev teams are proud to announce that we have the main filesystem "asr" key. It can be used by vfdecrypt to produce a mountable dmg. We are working full throttle on the full jailbreak that can be released before sdk comes out."

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24675

BTW: The frameworks in 1.1.3 have changed so much that none of 1.1.3's updated apps run in 1.1.2. So don't even ask! ;)

--
Mike

Jul 23, 2007
Thanks Tin... I guess this makes sense, I guess they do 'got it' after all. Pleased to be wrong and looking forward to the future with SDK and AppTapp progies to choose from.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Jailbreak 1.1.3 Back to 1.1.1

After reading Mike's post I really think the jailbreaking days are over for the 1.1.2 and up iPhones. I can't see people opening up their phones to change hardware.

I know that I have read here that many people who were jailbroken restored to 1.1.3 and wish you could go back to jailbroken status.

If you are on 1.1.3 right now, it is possible to downgrade back to 1.1.1 then up to 1.1.2 but only if your original phone was 1.1.1 or earlier with bootloader 3.9. It can not be done with 1.1.2 OBT which has the bootloader 4.6 Also the 1.1.3 backup files that are created automatically by iTunes 7.6 are not compatible at all with any previous firmware versions. This means you will lose your data(contacts etc.). You will not lose music, videos, etc...Those will just be re-synced to your iPhone when you get back up to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1

Based upon the problems people were having jailbreaking I thought I would do something. So for the past couple of weeks I have been creating a precise (with photos) of a "how to jailbreak the 1.1.2", but since we are now at 1.1.3 I could make it and post it for the earlier phones.Let me know what you think?:)

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
After reading Mike's post I really think the jailbreaking days are over for the 1.1.2 and up iPhones. I can't see people opening up their phones to change hardware.

I know that I have read here that many people who were jailbroken restored to 1.1.3 and wish you could go back to jailbroken status.

If you are on 1.1.3 right now, it is possible to downgrade back to 1.1.1 then up to 1.1.2 but only if your original phone was 1.1.1 or earlier with bootloader 3.9. It can not be done with 1.1.2 OBT which has the bootloader 4.6 Also the 1.1.3 backup files that are created automatically by iTunes 7.6 are not compatible at all with any previous firmware versions. This means you will lose your data(contacts etc.). You will not lose music, videos, etc...Those will just be re-synced to your iPhone when you get back up to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1

Based upon the problems people were having jailbreaking I thought I would do something. So for the past couple of weeks I have been creating a precise (with photos) of a "how to jailbreak the 1.1.2", but since we are now at 1.1.3 I could make it and post it for the earlier phones.Let me know what you think?:)

How do you know what bootloader your phone has. I exchanged out my phone at an Apple store, it of course had 1.1.2 on it. But how do i know that it was just updated to that?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
How do you know what bootloader your phone has. I exchanged out my phone at an Apple store, it of course had 1.1.2 on it. But how do i know that it was just updated to that?

Are you talking about a refurb, if so the serial number will begin with a 5K

If not it depends on the 4th and 5th digit, if that number is 46 or higher the answer no.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Are you talking about a refurb, if so the serial number will begin with a 5K

If not it depends on the 4th and 5th digit, if that number is 46 or higher the answer no.
my number is 32751 so im guessing that my bootloader is the higher one, and yes its a refurb.