1.1.3 not charging or sync issue

Jul 23, 2007
Ever since the 1.1.3 update, my phone will not show that it is charing. It charges...very slowly...but the charging indicator does not come on. Nor does windows or iTunes recognize that it is connected. To ANY computer. Also when plugging it into the wall charger, no charing indicator comes on.

I've tried restarting the PC (vista), reinstalling iTunes, rebooting the iPhone (both buttons held), shutting off and back on, etc...EVERYTHING

iPhone support said just to go to the Apple store but I don't have time...

anyone else had this?

I can't connect it to restore it...so I dunno

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ever since the 1.1.3 update, my phone will not show that it is charing. It charges...very slowly...but the charging indicator does not come on. Nor does windows or iTunes recognize that it is connected. To ANY computer. Also when plugging it into the wall charger, no charing indicator comes on.

I've tried restarting the PC (vista), reinstalling iTunes, rebooting the iPhone (both buttons held), shutting off and back on, etc...EVERYTHING

iPhone support said just to go to the Apple store but I don't have time...

anyone else had this?

I can't connect it to restore it...so I dunno

Well I assume you downloaded the iTunes 7.6 which was supposed to fix the problem with PC's running Vista. Your problem is probably the part that iTines does not see the phone connected, this is a drivers issue, and I have answered this before, and now with the 1.1.3nthere is a diff solution, I need to look that up and get back to you shortly.

Jul 23, 2007
Well I assume you downloaded the iTunes 7.6 which was supposed to fix the problem with PC's running Vista. Your problem is probably the part that iTines does not see the phone connected, this is a drivers issue, and I have answered this before, and now with the 1.1.3nthere is a diff solution, I need to look that up and get back to you shortly.
I checked that the mobile service is runnin in the services screen

I did update to 7.6 before updating to 1.1.3 but I never had a problem before with iTunes on Vista

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I checked that the mobile service is runnin in the services screen

I did update to 7.6 before updating to 1.1.3 but I never had a problem before with iTunes on Vista

I can't find the thread, but this was in my notes of how it was done, maybe it will help:

1. Reinstall iTunes 7.6 as the "iTuneshelper.exe" .

2. Check device manager to see if it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark, so uninstall device.

3. Re boot the computer, open iTunes and then dock the phone and Vista should re-install a fresh driver.
so tried reinstalling drivers, pointing to where the device driver is kept. fine. says device driver is installed, but when i go back to device manager its the same, no go...

so...

i found a system restore point that allows my iPhone to sync with Vista (32bit) fine, shows up as an Apple device etc, can transfer photos. i don't have iTunes installed at this restore point, so i reinstall it. and then the problem comes back after install. ie, iPhone wont install correctly in Vista.
Finally fixed it, but it wasn't easy. After a few more tries at uninstalling and reinstalling, I grabbed the driver folders from both of my work machines (one Vista, one XPSP2) where iTunes was working and copied them to my laptop that was having the problem. I uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Support (so the driver wouldn't be loaded) and then plugged in the iPhone. Once it installed the same old digital camera driver, I opened up the Device Manager and tried to install the iPhone drivers from the other Vista machine first. That didn't work (can't find the files specified) and then I tried the XP drivers. Sure enough, they installed. I then reinstalled iTunes and rebooted, plugged in my iPhone and it synced.

I found this discussion on the Apple support forums for anyone who may need help with this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6350402

It's where I got the idea, and it also gave the location of the actual driver installation files

Jul 23, 2007
I can't find the thread, but this was in my notes of how it was done, maybe it will help:

1. Reinstall iTunes 7.6 as the "iTuneshelper.exe" .

2. Check device manager to see if it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark, so uninstall device.

3. Re boot the computer, open iTunes and then dock the phone and Vista should re-install a fresh driver.
so tried reinstalling drivers, pointing to where the device driver is kept. fine. says device driver is installed, but when i go back to device manager its the same, no go...

so...

i found a system restore point that allows my iPhone to sync with Vista (32bit) fine, shows up as an Apple device etc, can transfer photos. i don't have iTunes installed at this restore point, so i reinstall it. and then the problem comes back after install. ie, iPhone wont install correctly in Vista.
Finally fixed it, but it wasn't easy. After a few more tries at uninstalling and reinstalling, I grabbed the driver folders from both of my work machines (one Vista, one XPSP2) where iTunes was working and copied them to my laptop that was having the problem. I uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Support (so the driver wouldn't be loaded) and then plugged in the iPhone. Once it installed the same old digital camera driver, I opened up the Device Manager and tried to install the iPhone drivers from the other Vista machine first. That didn't work (can't find the files specified) and then I tried the XP drivers. Sure enough, they installed. I then reinstalled iTunes and rebooted, plugged in my iPhone and it synced.

I found this discussion on the Apple support forums for anyone who may need help with this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6350402

It's where I got the idea, and it also gave the location of the actual driver installation files

Thanks for the ideas but the iPhone doesn't even show up in windows either. Nothing happens when its plugged in. I tried different cables, ports, etc. It doesn't even realize a USB device is being plugged in...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Thanks for the ideas but the iPhone doesn't even show up in windows either. Nothing happens when its plugged in. I tried different cables, ports, etc. It doesn't even realize a USB device is being plugged in...

Delete the USB drivers, reboot the computer and let Vista install new ones.

Let me know.:)

Jul 23, 2007
Delete the USB drivers, reboot the computer and let Vista install new ones.

Let me know.:)
How do I get to the drivers if its not showing up in the Device Manager?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
How do I get to the drivers if its not showing up in the Device Manager?
They would be there under Universal Serial Buss Controllers
then right click on it, either click update driver or remove it and do the restart.

Jul 23, 2007
They would be there under Universal Serial Buss Controllers
then right click on it, either click update driver or remove it and do the restart.
When connecting the iPhone to my PC, it does not recognize a USB device has been connected so it does not show up in the device manager at all.

So I don't know how I can delete the driver if it doesn't show up in there.

Jul 9, 2007
Orange County, CA
I had this same issue, so I reinstalled iTunes and it helped, but now on occasion my iPhone stops syncing and doesn't show up in Windows. Everything was fine before upgrading iTunes.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
When connecting the iPhone to my PC, it does not recognize a USB device has been connected so it does not show up in the device manager at all.

So I don't know how I can delete the driver if it doesn't show up in there.

Yeah that is just it, the iPhone is not going to show up in that list because it can't connect to the usb, and don't use a hub, use a direct usb in the rear of the pc. If it does not show up, then you need to uninstall the driver of the USB in order to get a fresh one.

Jul 9, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah that is just it, the iPhone is not going to show up in that list because it can't connect to the usb, and don't use a hub, use a direct usb in the rear of the pc. If it does not show up, then you need to uninstall the driver of the USB in order to get a fresh one.
It seems like it's an iPhone problem not a USB driver problem. I never had any problems with iTunes and syncing my iPhone until this last update. If iTunes updates USB drivers then I guess it's possible, but it still seems like it's a problem on the iPhone/iTunes side. Also, I'm running XP not Vista.

Jul 23, 2007
if I uninstall and reinstall iTunes, will it delete my backup file for the phone?

If so, how do I find the file that is the backup or last sync of the phone?

Jul 9, 2007
Orange County, CA
This should get you close

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\SyncServices\

I would back up the file just to be safe.

Jul 23, 2007

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\SyncServices\

Thanks

A little different with Vista but I found it.

Ended up being
C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\SyncServices

Thanks again!

Jul 23, 2007
Gonna try reinstalling iTunes again and if that doesn't work, go get a new one from Apple.

Jul 23, 2007

Hmm, I just tried cutting and pasting the files inside the synchservices folder and pasting them somewhere else, started up iTunes and checked in the preferences/synching tab and the sync points are still there. Does that mean I didn't take the correct files out?

Jul 9, 2007
Orange County, CA
I just copied and pasted the folder to another location. After I reinstalled iTunes and hooked up my iPhone it prompted me to restore to a specific date. I don't think you need to remove the files, just keep a copy somewhere as backup.

Jul 23, 2007
I just copied and pasted the folder to another location. After I reinstalled iTunes and hooked up my iPhone it prompted me to restore to a specific date. I don't think you need to remove the files, just keep a copy somewhere as backup.

cool, thanks

what happened now is that
it seemed liek since the problem started, the charge was taking A LOT longer than usual

what seems to have happened now is that it has gone so low and it wont charge fast enough, so it keeps going below the set limit before the bit battery with the red shows and the electrical plug pointing towards the lightning bolt and it'll charge a bit, comes on, but then drains again so fast and doesn't charge fast enough that it turns off and does this over and over, so basically power cycling itsself and not charging fast enough to stay on...have an appointment at the genius bar at 6:15...45 minute drive :rolleyes:

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Have a quick question ... not sure if I've seen this anywhere. Have a friend that wants to upgrade his iPhone firmware to 1.1.3. He activated his phone on his wife's PC laptop ... and she's out of town til the weekend with the laptop.

Can I update his iPhone on my Mac laptop?

Thanks!