1.1.3 Prep & Options?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
One for Tinman / other clever folks here, since it looks like firmware 1.1.3 is pretty imminent by now.

I've stayed on 1.1.1 (jailbroken) as 1.1.2 had nothing that made me look twice. 1.1.3 sounds like maybe it will be well worth a look. Couple questions about the best approach to 1.1.3:

-- I'm assuming it's a safe bet that each firmware update should work regardless of how many generations back your iPhone is. Is that a safe bet? (As in, 1.1.3 should install successfuly whether you're at 1.1.2, or 1.0.2 etc.)

-- Coming from a jailbroken 1..1.1, best practice would be to restore before messing with the 1.1.3 update?

-- If 1.1.3 is going to break 3rd party apps anyway (as is widely expected), is is worth taking any additional 'virginizing' sort of steps on a jailbroken phone after a restore, and before doing the 1.1.3 update? I guess I'm asking this from the perspective of going into 1.1.3 in as 'clean' a state as possible.

Any thoughts / answers much appreciated ...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
One for Tinman / other clever folks here, since it looks like firmware 1.1.3 is pretty imminent by now.

I've stayed on 1.1.1 (jailbroken) as 1.1.2 had nothing that made me look twice. 1.1.3 sounds like maybe it will be well worth a look. Couple questions about the best approach to 1.1.3:

-- I'm assuming it's a safe bet that each firmware update should work regardless of how many generations back your iPhone is. Is that a safe bet? (As in, 1.1.3 should install successfuly whether you're at 1.1.2, or 1.0.2 etc.)

-- Coming from a jailbroken 1..1.1, best practice would be to restore before messing with the 1.1.3 update?

-- If 1.1.3 is going to break 3rd party apps anyway (as is widely expected), is is worth taking any additional 'virginizing' sort of steps on a jailbroken phone after a restore, and before doing the 1.1.3 update? I guess I'm asking this from the perspective of going into 1.1.3 in as 'clean' a state as possible.

Any thoughts / answers much appreciated ...
You should be able to update from an earlier version than 1.1.2, such as going from 1.0.2 to 1.1.3...
You wouldn't really have to do a restore prior to updating, as the update process itself will do that. As for a 1.1.3. prep for jailbreaking, I haven't seen mention of one yet, but like you, I am looking for it!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I always do a restore before updating. Old habit I guess, just because of the 1.1.1 "brick foundation" that Apple created.
Of course, I have to weigh the options before even considering an update.
The 1.1.3 or 1.3 or whatever it's going to be called, is going to have to blow my socks off in order for me to relinquish my current setup. As of right now, my phone works great, I have everything I need and couldn't be happier.
IF the new update carries at least 3-4 of the following MAIN items, I might consider updating.
1) multiple SMS
2) copy/paste
3) MMS
4) My Location - Google Maps
5) Landscape Texting
6) More camera options
7) video recording

There are a couple other things I cannot remember at the moment, and we all have heard the rumors that several of the items listed above are SUPPOSED to be coming. But, people have been wrong before, so I would not be a bit suprized if the new update is just another "fluff bug fixer".

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I updated to 1.1.2 b/c I wasn't sure if there would be a write/steps to go from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, jailbreaking-wise. If I stayed at 1.1.1, and 1.1.3 came out, I think I would have to download 1.1.2, and update to that anyway to get to 1.1.3 - if I wanted a jailbroken phone. Othewise, going from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, shouldn't be a problem.

My thought process is that to get to 1.1.2, you have to downgrade to 1.1.1 (if you have an OTB phone) jailbreak it, and then update to 1.1.2. So, using that logic, I would assume one would have to downgrade to 1.1.2 to get to 1.1.3, jailbroken.

Hope that made sense...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
For starters I won't be updating to 1.1.3 until it's been jailbroken (at least I will try not to).

That said should I decide to update before 1.1.3 is jailbroken I would:

1.) Restore the iPhone to a virgin 1.1.2! I would do this because the 1.1.3 update might not remove traces of third-party apps, etc. This happened after 1.1.1 was released and a lot of people ended up with apps and whatnot still on their iPhone, even though it was no longer jailbroken.

2.) As far as preparing for jailbreaking 1.1.3 there isn't much one can do right now. The 1.1.2 prep was designed specifically for 1.1.1. Hopefully something similar can be done for 1.1.2 (to get ready for 1.1.3).

3.) Since a new iTunes version appears to be needed, I would ensure I had another PC available running iTunes 7.5, in case it's needed.

As far as version rollups are concerned, so far that has been the case: any version can be updated to 1.1.2 without intermediate updates. I assume 1.1.3 will continue you behavior.

I for one am hoping 1.1.3 is jailbroken right away!

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
For starters I won't be updating to 1.1.3 until it's been jailbroken (at least I will try not to).

1.) Restore the iPhone to a virgin 1.1.2! I would do this because the 1.1.3 update might not remove traces of third-party apps, etc. This happened after 1.1.1 was released and a lot of people ended up with apps and whatnot still on their iPhone, even though it was no longer jailbroken.

2.) As far as preparing for jailbreaking 1.1.3 there isn't much one can do right now. The 1.1.2 prep was designed specifically for 1.1.1. Hopefully something similar can be done for 1.1.2 (to get ready for 1.1.3).

3.) Since a new iTunes version appears to be needed, I would ensure I had another PC available running iTunes 7.5, in case it's needed.

As far as version rollups are concerned, so far that has been the case: any version can be updated to 1.1.2 without intermediate updates. I assume 1.1.3 will continue you behavior.

--
Mike
Mike are you saying that updating on 1.1.2 will in fact remove the traces of 3rd party apps?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Mike are you saying that updating on 1.1.2 will in fact remove the traces of 3rd party apps?
I don't think it removes the traces of the apps. I believe you have to literally uninstall all your apps, sync, and then restore to a virgin 1.1.2 in order to remove traces.
The reason I say sync after uninstalling is that when I first installed VNSEA, it was on a 1.1.1 phone. I've had my iPhone replaced twice since then, ( and both times I restored before taking it in, but did not uninstall the programs directly) and I still had all my settings on my latest iPhone when I jailbroke and installed it "fresh". If you uninstall it and then sync, it should - I am not certain if it will- remove any config files or left over files from your phone. Then you restore and it should keep it wiped clean.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I don't think it removes the traces of the apps. I believe you have to literally uninstall all your apps, sync, and then restore to a virgin 1.1.2 in order to remove traces.
The reason I say sync after uninstalling is that when I first installed VNSEA, it was on a 1.1.1 phone. I've had my iPhone replaced twice since then, ( and both times I restored before taking it in, but did not uninstall the programs directly) and I still had all my settings on my latest iPhone when I jailbroke and installed it "fresh". If you uninstall it and then sync, it should - I am not certain if it will- remove any config files or left over files from your phone. Then you restore and it should keep it wiped clean.

Yes that is what I thought, but I was asking Mike if in fact that was true about the 1.1.2?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
No, not updating. But if you restore it will. Updating is not as aggressive as restoring.

A restore, as opposed to an update, will wipe out third party apps. Updating tries to keep everything in place, and then applies the update. A restore just about wipes the device, and then updates.

The difference between updating and restoring is evidenced by the need to update, rather than restore, to 1.1.2 after running the prep tool under 1.1.1 (since a restore wipes out the prep, along with apps, BSD subsystem, etc.).

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Thanks for the clarification, so I won't need to delete them one by one.:laugh2:

No, not updating. But if you restore it will. Updating is not as aggressive as restoring.

A restore, as opposed to an update, will wipe out third party apps. Updating tries to keep everything in place, and then applies the update. A restore just about wipes the device, and then updates.

The difference between updating and restoring is evidenced by the need to update, rather than restore, to 1.1.2 after running the prep tool under 1.1.1 (since a restore wipes out the prep, along with apps, BSD subsystem, etc.).

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

--
Mike
I'm loathe to update to 1.1.3 and give up any apps too, but just figured I'd ask this just in case 1.1.3 comes along this week with some amazing stuff, before craziness ensues.
So, in order to be sure about completing Step 1 above, sounds like I need to download the 1.1.2 firmware soon, before iTunes only offers 1.1.3 once it emerges ...

GizmoDVD

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I just now deleted all my 3rd party apps. and updated to 1.1.2.

Interestingly enough, my custom service provider name is still present. I wonder how that happened?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I just now deleted all my 3rd party apps. and updated to 1.1.2.

Interestingly enough, my custom service provider name is still present. I wonder how that happened?
Again - if you RESTORE it will wipe all the 3rd party apps and mods. If you UPDATE it won't wipe it all out. The core files will still be there, and any mods you've done - such as the carrier logo.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think you lose you photos - so back those up, but numbers should be fine.
as long as you have synced them with your computer. Restoring will temporarily wipe your phone CLEAN (i.e. no phone numbers). Once you re-sync with your computer, then get put back on.