1.1.3 update?

JimmyK

Nov 21, 2007
Hope to God its flash. Some new widgets/apps would be fun to play around with. I find the ringer when not using the headphones is a little quiet.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hope to God its flash. Some new widgets/apps would be fun to play around with. I find the ringer when not using the headphones is a little quiet.
1.1.3 will come out once 1.1.2 is fully jailbroken - it will only contain small features that nobody really wants. The only reason we have 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and iTunes is because Apple had to release them to stop the hacking.

Flash - when we get it, if ever, won't be soon. Flash would take an enormous hunk of memory on the thing, as well as a major software update, which 1.1.3, if there is one, will not be.

As for additional widgets/apps, Apple is releasing an SKD (Software Development Kit) in February. This will allow you to download third-party apps from Apple, with Apple's permission.

Painkiller

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
After buying a "1 week after launch iPhone", I'm not seeing much in my purchase of any value. Just a bunch of "maybe in a future update" excuses for lack of standard features.But, no blame on Apple: I'M the one that bought the thing...my stupidity. Not a troll either. Just not impressed with my puchase. To each their own, right?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
updates are kinda a tricky thing, the reason why i think this is because the more that they update the more HD space it takes up on the phone right? and the more HD space we lose the less videos and music we get to add,,, right?

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
the cynical part of me says there will be a release that adds ONE of the most requested features (MMS or cut/paste or Flash or video record, etc) sometime before X-mas just to drive sales.
Apple is gonna milk this gravy train for all it's worth (press value). IMHO, Apple will trickle out all the requested features as slow as possible because they get a sales jump with every "new" firmware that adds "features"

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
After buying a "1 week after launch iPhone", I'm not seeing much in my purchase of any value. Just a bunch of "maybe in a future update" excuses for lack of standard features.But, no blame on Apple: I'M the one that bought the thing...my stupidity. Not a troll either. Just not impressed with my puchase. To each their own, right?
Yeah... sure. Each to their own.

Still seemed like trolling, though.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
the cynical part of me says there will be a release that adds ONE of the most requested features (MMS or cut/paste or Flash or video record, etc) sometime before X-mas just to drive sales.
Apple is gonna milk this gravy train for all it's worth (press value). IMHO, Apple will trickle out all the requested features as slow as possible because they get a sales jump with every "new" firmware that adds "features"
I laughed for some reason at the thought of people saying "Im getting an iPhone, they finally added Cut/paste" ...:laugh2:

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I really enjoy my iPhone and what it can do, but I look at it sometimes and think what it should be able to do. Though I am not really expecting big features like cut/paste, flash,mms, or video rec I think that that the SDK might change a few things for users. My biggest fault is reading ebooks, I love to do that. This is something that is only going to be fixed by a third party. The more I think about it, the more an SDK might change things for all of us, cause whats to stop a program developer from making a cut/paste app or even a mms app.

The truth is though that we all bought the iPhone and new what to expect right? I know I did, I don't regret it though some days I think about selling it for a Tilt. The SDK is really the final chance for my iPhone, hopefully I see something that makes me want to stay, otherwise I might look for greener pastures as I don't see Apple giving us anything amazing any time soon.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I agree...all but...

The SDK is really the final chance for my iPhone, hopefully I see something that makes me want to stay, otherwise I might look for greener pastures as I don't see Apple giving us anything amazing any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Do you not think that the iPhone is amazing? I admit that it lacks a few basic features, but common this device is amazing in of itself.

However you do bring up some good points thanks for you opinion. Now go be amazed with your iPhone
:laugh2:

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
The iPhone is an amazing breakthrough as far as a wireless device goes and I am not going to and won't ever dispute that, but like you said it lacks some very basic features that leave us feeling all a little....... ugh... The basic design and interface are a big deal for wireless devices, but it isn't the new age of man that we were told to expect.

It wouldn't take much for me to be full amazed with my iPhone, a good solid IM client, real MMS, cause c'mon, and most of all for me a good ebook reader that will do many formats.

I just want to make sure that I state though the ebook reader that is on there now is a great program and I in no way knock it, but I have purchased books in both Palm Reader format and MS lit files that are useless to me, well the Palm ones are, I get around the lit files. I am amazed, but like I said the SDK is going to be the last chance to hopefully fix somethings that should have been addressed already.

I stand only partially corrected, and amazed! :)

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
ok this is the deal I think we all are going to see big changes with the launch of the SDK. I don't think there will be a release before Christmas yet before Feb. The reason Gor this is that Apple I think is going to beat the developer to the punch. The only reason the have not released cut and past is because it would open up the platform even more. Think about it. The only time we will see cut and past is once the SDK is out. I do believe it will be in the next update right before the release of the SDK.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
ok this is the deal I think we all are going to see big changes with the launch of the SDK. I don't think there will be a release before Christmas yet before Feb. The reason Gor this is that Apple I think is going to beat the developer to the punch. The only reason the have not released cut and past is because it would open up the platform even more. Think about it. The only time we will see cut and past is once the SDK is out. I do believe it will be in the next update right before the release of the SDK.
It looks like the SDK is effectively a wrapper with access to some (probably limited) iPhone features. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a great deal more than web-apps that are resident on the phone.

Access to the address book, access to sms, access to some locked-up 'dashboard' to do widgetry - that's about all i bet.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
I know what you are saying, but where are you getting your info. From. I mean the SDK hasn't even been released unless you are a developer with close ties to Apple? So are you?

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
Well I know that you are wrong about that but I can't say how. The only thing I can say is that Apple has already pissed off the developers and the masses and they don't want to do it again. So what do you think about the cut and past. Do you think it will come out by Feb? That was one of the thing I couldn't get out of the........ Well that's it, I'm done.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Well I know that you are wrong about that but I can't say how. The only thing I can say is that Apple has already pissed off the developers and the masses and they don't want to do it again. So what do you think about the cut and past. Do you think it will come out by Feb? That was one of the thing I couldn't get out of the........ Well that's it, I'm done.
I'd be very surprised if I was correct about anything. A cut and paste as well as a few other ' finger gestures' that can work with some of the current applications. - yes I'd like to think they were a couple of things Apple could include in the box. When it arrives of course.