1.1.4- 2.0, what's the difference?

JEWISH_GOAT

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
I would like to finally get this cleared up because I see it brought up on these forums from time to time with no clear distinction between the two.

We,(well most) are currently updated to firmware 1.1.3. Now..when the next update comes what would the difference be if it were updated to 1.1.4 or 2.0? I'm sure the numbers 1.1.4. all mean something different but I just never knew what. So any clarification on this would be splendid :cool:

Oh and 1 more: Firmware vs Hardware. Whats the difference on those?

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I think we are more likely to see 1.2 before 2.0

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
It's version 1, revision 1, something or other 3. :p I think anway.

Firmware = the software
Hardware = the actual electronics inside the iPhone (in this case).

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
if you work for the governement, SW releases don't follow a hard set standard.
Mostly The first number changes for a major release. Like IE 6.0 to 7.0.. The seconds is for revisions that are major, give significant upgrades but not enough to call it a big breakthough change. The last number are for nit noid patches to fix problems. It isn't always like this, but generally that is what they mean

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I would like to finally get this cleared up because I see it brought up on these forums from time to time with no clear distinction between the two.

We,(well most) are currently updated to firmware 1.1.3. Now..when the next update comes what would the difference be if it were updated to 1.1.4 or 2.0? I'm sure the numbers 1.1.4. all mean something different but I just never knew what. So any clarification on this would be splendid :cool:

Oh and 1 more: Firmware vs Hardware. Whats the difference on those?
1.14 would be a software update and just that - it would be available to all iPhone owners, via iTunes, for free. You would not have to get a new iPhone to get 1.14.

2.0 refers to the Second Generation iPhone. It would be an entirely new iPhone released by Apple. It may include things like MMS, Video Recording, and 3G. It would not be available through iTunes; you would have to buy a new iPhone to get it.

Firmware and Software are the non-physical parts of your iPhone. While firmware is linked to pieces of hardware, it can updates by a computer. Firmware updates make devices more stable, give them new features, etc. Software is the apps on your iPhone, what those apps use to run, etc.

Hardware cannot be changed by a computer. The iPhone's Hard Disk is hardware. Intel Processors, found in Macs and PCs, are hardware. Microcontrollers are hardware. When you open up a computer and see al the chips and wires, you see hardware.

- John