1.1.4 firmware

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
well i have the 1.1.4 and i was wondering what have you done to yours. if you think its cool let me know i wanna try something new on my iPhone. thanks guys

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Have you jailbroken it yet? If not, I recommend it. Then you have access to themes, app and such.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
my vote is for jailbreaking it. Get rid of that stock black background.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Since we're on the subject of jailbreaking, even though I know there's tons of post on this. I'm scared to jailbreak my phone. I've been thinking of doing it since I haven't updated to 1.1.4, only because I keep getting the 1602 error on iTunes no matter what i try. I'm not as computer literate as some people here and when I read those post on ZiPhone and other jailbreaking info I get confused.

ZiPhone seems the easiest but I wouldn't even know what to do after I jailbreak. All I'm interested in doing is changing themes and icons.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Since we're on the subject of jailbreaking, even though I know there's tons of post on this. I'm scared to jailbreak my phone. I've been thinking of doing it since I haven't updated to 1.1.4, only because I keep getting the 1602 error on iTunes no matter what i try. I'm not as computer literate as some people here and when I read those post on ZiPhone and other jailbreaking info I get confused.

ZiPhone seems the easiest but I wouldn't even know what to do after I jailbreak. All I'm interested in doing is changing themes and icons.
I was in the very same position as you are yesterday. I finally jailbreak'd last night, and once you jailbreak it's pretty self-explanatory.
When you jailbreak, all of the apps will be there with a description; you simply choose the ones you want to install, and it's all done for you.

Once you're JB'd -
Since you're mainly interested in themes, you would just need to download the BSD Subsystem (I don't know why, either, but I read that during a search last night...don't worry about it, just do it). THEN you can install Summerboard (it's just a click - nothing else you need to do), and choose your themes.

I know how overwhelming it seems, but it really is pretty simple when you just jump in. And remember, if something goes wrong, you can always just restore your phone (by connecting your phone to iTunes and clicking "restore") and you'll be back to where you started, no permanent damage.

I was so paranoid when I first started the process that I backed out and restored my phone. When I saw that everything was still there, I went ahead and did it again, and I was really surprised at how simple it is.

I'm still a noob myself, but if you want someone to 'hold your hand' through it, you can PM me...I held another member hostage over PM last night when I JB'd mine...just as a security blanket, y'know. ;)

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for the info, Buffy. I feel more confident about doing it now.

I think I'll try it this weekend. I've been one that get's bored quite often. I've posted before about taking my anti-glare sp off just because. So I think jailbreaking and messin' around with some themes will keep me occupied for a while.

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
mine is with t-mobile... so whats the diff between jail break and unlock? i have all the themes and atuff but just don't know how to work it... please help. thanks guys... as i was saying im new at this iPhone/mac stuff..

cu0ngsayz

Bronze
Mar 10, 2008
ohh and if you didn't know the version 1.1.4 you can move around the icons with out the customize app