1.1.4 make you anxious? Read on...

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I'm being a little tongue in cheek here but the release firmware 1.1.4, presumably in preparation for the imminent iPhone SDK, has me a little anxious. We don't really yet know what capabilities the official app(-oid?)s will have. This will be a big crossroads in iPhone's development as a full-fledged mobile platform. I admit I have the pre-big-event-jitters. Anyone? Anyone?

Steve jobs said, "You can write amazing Web 2.0 and AJAX apps that look exactly and behave exactly like apps on the iPhone," but I share Michael Tsai's concern that "we don’t yet know who will be allowed to write iPhone applications or whether they will be fully native peers of the built-in applications." After all, Steve's ever the public optimist.

Evidence for the passions involved here is the intensity of feeling in advance of something that doesn't publicly exist yet (as of this writing), both positive and negative.

One thing's for certain: whichever way it goes there will be some who are pleased and some who are displeased...

[PLEA]...so please let's not take it out on each other. Web developers aren't idiots and other developers aren't dorks (adjectives chosen at random). We're all shiny happy people with different opinions. :) [/PLEA]

It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

Thoughts?

-K

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I, along with many other people, are very anxious for the release of the SDK. Just hopefully Apple will be able pull through with their commitment.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Excited, yet somehow I still manage to sleep at night.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
:Dsleep are you kidding me I said up waiting for an update like I was in line on iday....

j/k

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I was and still am excited to be so close to the frontlines of Apples suposid open platform. There's not much going on in the iPhone world that I don't hear about instantly, Thanks to EIC, compared to several iPhone owners I know who aren't even in the 1.1.3 firmware yet. It has ben speculated that we i.e. " jailbroken" could be nothing less than beta testers for the future of the iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the more i think about it, the more i feel that the apps developed within the first little while aren't going to be anything more than trivial things i have no use for. The REALLY cool stuff will come much later (if ever).

AND things related to the basic functionality of the iPhone (like MMS or C&P) are not going to come from the SDK anyway; those will be through updates from Apple.

so those two things are why i'm sleeping very well at night next to my jailbroken iPhone

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm not concerned about who will be allowed to develop, as I think there should be very few barriers in this respect. The second part about whether apps will be 'fully native peers' is interesting though. I think it would be a very dumb move on Apple's part to try to 'cripple' apps too much - as it would just end up leading to more developers staying on the 'unofficial' side and - based on what we've seen so far - probably continuing to find ways around just about any barriers Apple tries to put up ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm being a little tongue in cheek here but the release firmware 1.1.4, presumably in preparation for the imminent iPhone SDK, has me a little anxious. We don't really yet know what capabilities the official app(-oid?)s will have. This will be a big crossroads in iPhone's development as a full-fledged mobile platform. I admit I have the pre-big-event-jitters. Anyone? Anyone?

Steve jobs said, "You can write amazing Web 2.0 and AJAX apps that look exactly and behave exactly like apps on the iPhone," but I share Michael Tsai's concern that "we don’t yet know who will be allowed to write iPhone applications or whether they will be fully native peers of the built-in applications." After all, Steve's ever the public optimist.

Evidence for the passions involved here is the intensity of feeling in advance of something that doesn't publicly exist yet (as of this writing), both positive and negative.

One thing's for certain: whichever way it goes there will be some who are pleased and some who are displeased...

[PLEA]...so please let's not take it out on each other. Web developers aren't idiots and other developers aren't dorks (adjectives chosen at random). We're all shiny happy people with different opinions. :) [/PLEA]

It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

Thoughts?

-K
Shiny happy people. I love it!

- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I couldn't agree more. While I am really anxious to see just what the SDK release brings in terms of advances to the iPhone, I know that with it people are still going to be disappointed no matter what. Some Apps won't be approved, some will be too expensive, not good enough, or any combination of the above. Either way, there's still no telling exactly what the SDK will bring so hopefully everyone will be able to take it in stride.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
the only reason that id say im anxious is because there is still very little info on the sdk. basically all we know about it is that its supposed to be coming and nothing else. and the same with this update, we don't even know what it does except for "security fixes"

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
As for jitters, no I don't have them.

However with regards to the original post in general, I think you could have made an interesting point about the bit where SJ talks about Web Apps and their ability to work seamlessly with native services in contrast to the following quote where SJ states the Google Maps is as elaborate as it is due in part because its running as its own client and not a web app because, of course, you can't do that in a web browser.

In essense what we have there is the advent and demise of web apps in the same article by none other than SJ himself. Proof positive an SDK was truly required to give apps the necessary "WOW" first time impression that Apple is known for.

If you ask me why it was delayed I'd have to say because of licensing agreements. Nothing holds up production in the businesss world like licensing agreements and the obvious lack of funding.

I found something interesting on DrunknBass' blog the other day, hes the person behind the video recording breakthrough for iPhone. Anyway he has a little section in bold print where he says he cant say anything about the SDK, and then a few pages into his comments he states that some devs get the SDK earlier than others. Here's the text from his site:

I am currently building the this and all my apps to Apple iPhone SDK specs and will be available on all non jailbroken phones. Because of the legalities i cannot discuss SDK details or answer any information that isn't publicly available regarding Apple iPhone SDK.
drunknbass Says:
January 25, 2008 - 3:29pm
Some devs get the sdk earlier than the public.
drunknbass Says:
January 26, 2008 - 7:32pm
i don't have any leaked sdk haha.. im actually waiting on technicalities and should have it any time now.. but if theres a leaked version id take a look at it
I don't know, now after all this speculation you've got me chomping at the bit over this now...

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
1. The SDK appears to ROCK! We'll even get WiFi VoIP! So far (and I'm no tech whiz) I don't see any evidence of an inherent app limitation. Devs can access CoreOS APIs, so this Safari-dependent scare seems to have been just that and no more.

2. Suddenly, a 16 GB iPhone doesn't seem so big. :p Good thing there's good news...

-K

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
1. The SDK appears to ROCK! We'll even get WiFi VoIP! So far (and I'm no tech whiz) I don't see any evidence of an inherent app limitation. Devs can access CoreOS APIs, so this Safari-dependent scare seems to have been just that and no more.
Think you're right on very few or no limitations, and that it rocks. Thought it was very funny that Engadget asked them whether SIM Unlock apps would be banned from the App Store ...

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
how much support do you think we will see for the jailbroken community after the offical apps are released in june?

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Depends...

how much support do you think we will see for the jailbroken community after the offical apps are released in june?
Depends whether Apple behaves like big brother, how much interest 'paid' applications raises and how well this all works - remember it will be with 2.0FW (supposedly part of the beta package) and will not be here till June - lets see what the current hackers do not the SDK is 'readily' available

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
My guess is that as the app library builds the jailbreakers will dwindle. But very slowly. Thing is, by now there are many good apps whose functionality may not be available for some time in a "sanctioned" app.

It helps that Apple won't charge devs to make free apps available or charge users to get them. It sounds like a good compromise. :cool:

-K