1/8" to 1/8" cord with microphone?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm looking for a cable to connect my iPhone (1/8" stereo) to the aux input of my car (1/8" stereo) that also has an inline microphone for calls. Right now, when I get a call I have to unplug the phone and use it either regularly or with the built-in speaker. If I leave the cable in, the phone thinks I have headphones with a microphone attached, which I don't, so the other end can't hear me.

I would love to have a cable with a nice sensitive mic that would allow for hands-free calling in the car over the car speakers. Devices I've seen for this offer all sorts of mounts and chargers and other things I don't need. Just a simple cable with a mic, anyone?

I usually have the phone close to me, so even a small adapter with a microphone inline would work. Any ideas?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well yes, but obviously that can be overcome because, as I said, I've seen car kits that have the basic premise, just a bunch of stuff I don't need (like an FM transmitter). So if they can work successfuly, I can't see why this wouldn't.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ya know, after another failed attempt to find this elusive device, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have to make it myself. It's pretty simple... I just don't want to kill my only set of earbuds. So as soon as I pick up a spare set I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I'm really rather surprised no one else wants this functionality.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm looking for a cable to connect my iPhone (1/8" stereo) to the aux input of my car (1/8" stereo) that also has an inline microphone for calls. Right now, when I get a call I have to unplug the phone and use it either regularly or with the built-in speaker. If I leave the cable in, the phone thinks I have headphones with a microphone attached, which I don't, so the other end can't hear me.

I would love to have a cable with a nice sensitive mic that would allow for hands-free calling in the car over the car speakers. Devices I've seen for this offer all sorts of mounts and chargers and other things I don't need. Just a simple cable with a mic, anyone?

I usually have the phone close to me, so even a small adapter with a microphone inline would work. Any ideas?
Your best bet at this point is to probably get the Shure adapter with mic and then a another little stereo connector.

Saaby

Mar 14, 2008
I would like to do this too. Run the mic into a spot in my car when I can mount it semi-permanently, hide the wire. Run another wire to the car stereo, and then leave a spot for the iPhone to plug in.

I'm excited because I was going to have to redo my whole car stereo if I wanted to get iPod+Phone Call ability, but with some magic ninja tricks I think I can get the iPhone to do most the heavy lifting for me! What's more, the little "button" will allow remote track skipping.

This might work, as a starting point anyway.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4571

Oct 28, 2008
Psylichon,

How did your venture go? I was considering doing the same thing to a separate set of iPhone earbuds...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I never did do it. I just don't take that many calls in the car. I have a feeling unless I clip the mic to the seatbelt or something, the feedback from the speakers is going to make it pretty useless anyway.

Anyone else do in-car speakerphone over the stereo system? How well does it work?

Saaby

Mar 14, 2008
Hey,

I found an inline mic at Target. It killed 2 birds with 1 stone, providing a suitable sized headphone connector (I still have a 2G iPhone) as well as a mic and button.

It's not like the monster one. It's a cord, and on the end of the cord is an integrated unit with a button and another headphone jack, for you to plug any headphones into.

I mounted it on my dash...

Here's a picture of my dash before the setup:

I don't have a picture of "After" -- but I do have a picture that sort of shows it. This is a picture I took when my car was broken into. The white patch on the dash shows where the mic connects, and the Mic is that black lump on the end of the cord.

Anyway it works pretty well! I can skip songs using the call place/hold button. When I listen to music through the iPhone the phone pauses for calls, etc. When I tried to use a similar setup without a mic, people complained of bad echo, but with this setup people don't seem to complain. I believe from my end my voice is a little quieter than if I was holding the phone to my ear, but as long as I speak up things seem to go down ok, and I can have a short conversation without any hassle.

Unfortunately shortly after getting this setup something in my head unit blew up and so I had to put a new head unit in. The new one has an optional Bluetooth module, so my next plan is to get that hooked up so that I can use Line-Out on the iPhone to play music (and charge my phone at the same time) while using the Bluetooth connectivity for phone calls.

The monster adaptor might work a little better since you would have more flexibility in mounting the mic/button than I do with my Philips Microphone that was $10 from Target. I had trouble finding the Monster one locally and the Philips one was half the price.