1 iPhone 2 Computers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

BigD234

Nov 12, 2007
I use a PC for work and a Mac at home. The laptop I use for work is a company issued PC. I was using it before I purchased the Mac. I download and sync Media on both machines. Is there any way I can continue to use both. I have all my contacts on the laptop and some video I downloaded to watch when I fly, but everything else at home on the mac.

Any suggestions? Doug

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
I use a PC for work and a Mac at home. The laptop I use for work is a company issued PC. I was using it before I purchased the Mac. I download and sync Media on both machines. Is there any way I can continue to use both. I have all my contacts on the laptop and some video I downloaded to watch when I fly, but everything else at home on the mac.

Any suggestions? Doug
try a program called isync

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

Any suggestions? Doug
Sync and "merge" your iPhone on the Mac. All the info
(contacts, calendars, phone info), but not the media, will be transferred to the Mac. You'll have to copy your video from the PC and import it in the Mac's iTunes to put it on the iPhone.

BigD234

Nov 12, 2007
I am new to Mac, so please be gentle. I know how to sync but that the extent of my knowledge. Merge? I don't even know where to begin. HELP!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It sounds like for the most part you are syncing contacts (and maybe calendar) from one computer and media from your mac. The best thing I can suggest is on the PC you are syncing contacts from, select sync contacts and calendar on that computer but don't sync media. On the Mac you want to sync media, don't select to sync contacts and calendar and just sync the media.

There is no easy way to sync media with both machines. You can sync the contacts and calendar just by ticking those boxes in iTunes everytime you connect the iPhone (it will say this iPhone is synced with another computer do you want to sync with this one, say yes). The only problem I've found it birthdays will start to get weird, other than that it works great.

Your other solution is to only sync the contacts and calednar on one computer and use an application like Plaxo to sync it with the other machine. This means both places stay synced up and you iPhone is only synced with one machine.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I had this exact same problem so I bit the bullet and ditched my work PC (running Linux - so admittedly not as much a problem for me) and made it a mac.

I use .mac to keep the macs in sync, so I can sync the iPhone on either and it doesn't matter. I know this isn't the solution wanted, but it works so well I couldn't help recommending it.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I am new to Mac, so please be gentle. I know how to sync but that the extent of my knowledge. Merge? I don't even know where to begin. HELP!
If your iPhone is sync'd with the PC, when you connect it to the Mac and you sync, it (iTunes) will ask you if you want to replace your contact, cal, phones stuff with the info on the Mac or "merge", which in fact will put all your PC info on the Mac. So MERGE. However, everything "media" will be replaced by whatever is in your Mac's iTunes (no merging for that)