1 QUESTION what is the point of .....

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Why would one want to jailbreak the 3gs? The new iPhone has everything. Well almost! When MMS ARRIVES it will.. my question is why I don't understand. I jailbroke my 3g on 3.0 to get video recording and that still is not perfect. The 3gs has video that is perfect you can edit and upload to youtube. Am I missing something?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
background apps, customizing, un-approved apps like game emulators, hacks for installing appstore apps for free... probably other stuff too...

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Why would one want to jailbreak the 3gs? The new iPhone has everything. Well almost! When MMS ARRIVES it will.. my question is why I don't understand. I jailbroke my 3g on 3.0 to get video recording and that still is not perfect. The 3gs has video that is perfect you can edit and upload to youtube. Am I missing something?
Backgrounder and SBSettings are the two that keep me coming back for more. And every time I jailbreak, I find more and more things I love. Not to mention, I hate conformity and thereforee cannot stand seeing the stock theme! Even the crappy Motorola Razor has the ability to change it's "theme color."

All hail the Chronic and iPhone Dev Teams!

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
More than enough reasons for me:

• Custom Themes
  • Custom Text Notifications
  • SBSettings

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Haven't tried Backgrounder on the 3GS yet. Doesn't that work by holding down the home button? Wouldn't that activate the Voice Control on the 3GS? Or does it not have to be held quite as long?

Seems like you would accidentally activate Voice Control or Backgrounder when you meant the other, and vice versa sometimes. Unless they changed the way you run apps in the background and I am unaware?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Am I missing something?
Yep. Themes, live weather on you status bar and home screen, SBSettings, background apps, being able read and respond to a text from within any app and getting an email preview as soon as it comes in instead of having to close your app and open the email app, video ringtones, downloading Youtube Videos, and many more.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Haven't tried Backgrounder on the 3GS yet. Doesn't that work by holding down the home button? Wouldn't that activate the Voice Control on the 3GS? Or does it not have to be held quite as long?

Seems like you would accidentally activate Voice Control or Backgrounder when you meant the other, and vice versa sometimes. Unless they changed the way you run apps in the background and I am unaware?
Correct. you hold the home button and almost immediately a pop up will say background enabled. Same thing happens when you disable it.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Backgrounder and SBSettings are the two that keep me coming back for more. And every time I jailbreak, I find more and more things I love. Not to mention, I hate conformity and thereforee cannot stand seeing the stock theme! Even the crappy Motorola Razor has the ability to change it's "theme color."

All hail the Chronic and iPhone Dev Teams!
I agree... SBSetting are fantastic and I love being able to change the tones of the phone.

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Yep. Themes, live weather on you status bar and home screen, SBSettings, background apps, being able read and respond to a text from within any app and getting an email preview as soon as it comes in instead of having to close your app and open the email app, video ringtones, downloading Youtube Videos, and many more.
Pretty much everything above plus xGPS. It's not perfect but it's free. Try getting a free voice turn by turn GPS app from the app store.

One thing I will say, as much as I love JB'ing, if I start to notice even the slightest bit of lag on the 3GS, (a problem that plagued my V1) I will restore to stock immediately. Thus far no issues, but who knows what the future holds?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I have asked the same thing. Some people are just not satisfied!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have asked the same thing. Some people are just not satisfied!
I would agree, but there's one thing keeping me from doing so; customization. If I ever jailbreak my 3GS, it'll be for that. So far, Apple has done a great job of adding things to the iPhone via both hardware and software updates that used to be jailbreak-only features - video recording, MMS, copy & paste, voice control, phone-wide search, etc. But there's no excuse for leaving out customization, in my opinion.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think there is.

If they allow customization, how far do they go? Just icons? Fonts? Taskbar?

The whole thing?

I think in their mind, if low-level nodding is allowed, it will
open the door to security exploits, or at the very least unnecessary bugs, slowness, etc.