#1 reason for jailbreaking?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
hi guys,
just wanted to start this thread to see what pples number one different reasons for jailbreaking would be.
Mine personally is just the simple summerboard. This lil app makes me so happy every time I turn on my phone and the photo I choose is what I'm looking at behind all of those amazing little buttons. The last four or five phones I've owned previous to the iPhone I had a photo of some random thing I was doing or my dog or my girl. And that list could go on and on. But with my non jailbroken iPhone I couldn't do that. So it was obviouse to me that if I could spend five minutes playing with the damn thing basically ' like I do all day any ways' then y not jailbreak it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Customization. There are a few apps I enjoy, but I'll get much more app-wise from the SDK. Customize and SummerBoard are my reason.

- John

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Customize and Summerboard for me as well. I really needed to change the SMS and Email alerts so i was able to hear them. SMSNotify is one of my favorites. I used to miss so many texts with my phone in my pocket, Not anymore....

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Customization. There are a few apps I enjoy, but I'll get much more app-wise from the SDK. Customize and SummerBoard are my reason.

- John
I would consider jail breaking for the sole purpose of customizing and using SummerBoard.

After I jail break the phone, where do I go to get and install SummerBoard?

Thanks

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Customize and Summerboard for me as well. I really needed to change the SMS and Email alerts so i was able to hear them. SMSNotify is one of my favorites. I used to miss so many texts with my phone in my pocket, Not anymore....

hey hinzy, i installed this app, but nothing has changed?

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
hi guys,
just wanted to start this thread to see what pples number one different reasons for jailbreaking would be.
Mine personally is just the simple summerboard. This lil app makes me so happy every time I turn on my phone and the photo I choose is what I'm looking at behind all of those amazing little buttons. The last four or five phones I've owned previous to the iPhone I had a photo of some random thing I was doing or my dog or my girl. And that list could go on and on. But with my non jailbroken iPhone I couldn't do that. So it was obviouse to me that if I could spend five minutes playing with the damn thing basically ' like I do all day any ways' then y not jailbreak it.

definitely for customization. i wanted a custom look, and to be able to change the background, icons, etc. secondly for apps and games.

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
after having a jailbroken phone for virtually the whole time ive owned one..it was depressing to use my friends nonjailbroken phone.. seeing a stock version..

i definitely love it for the customization..
i thought at first it was for the apps
but come to realize i don't use them so much..

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
hey hinzy, i installed this app, but nothing has changed?
if your talking about customize it still has a bug. If your talking about summerbaord u just need to click on your new summerboard icon and change the theme to well whatever. LOL

dito

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
customize and summerboard.
i need ringtones, and am not going to pay $.99 each. before 1.1.3 you couldnt reorganize the icons in YOUR order. custom iconds = good. custom sounds are great too.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I jailbroke it to unlock it.

but then I was like WOAH this is cool as hell...

although for some reason, I either like keeping mine looking very stock (straight down to getting dock, and "Poof" and hiding everything having to do with the jailbreak, using MIM to say AT&T, and using Dock to access all my things) or I have the theme Phiberglass or rtwilliams2's mac os x theme...

Feb 15, 2008
I would consider jail breaking for the sole purpose of customizing and using SummerBoard.

After I jail break the phone, where do I go to get and install SummerBoard?

Thanks
Same, Now I do like native apps, I hate to run stuff and cant get a good connection.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
For me it's generically the ability to customize springboard... I seldom like the stock look of anything; I always have to fiddle w/ it. Perhaps it makes me a fashionista, but my iPhone w/out Summerboard/Customize/etc. would be a much less pleasurable experience. God I hope those apps are available via SDK.... I'd like to avoid jailbreaking in the future if at all possible...

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
For me it's generically the ability to customize springboard... I seldom like the stock look of anything; I always have to fiddle w/ it. Perhaps it makes me a fashionista, but my iPhone w/out Summerboard/Customize/etc. would be a much less pleasurable experience. God I hope those apps are available via SDK.... I'd like to avoid jailbreaking in the future if at all possible...

thats kinda the way i feel. i would love nothing more than to not half to jailbreak my phone to make it more personalized. one glance at my iPhone and u know its mine because its extreamly unique lookiing for an iPhone. if i could just puy simple apps like this instead of jailbreaking and fixing bugs and restoring and resyncing all the dang time it would be great. but i will always have a customized iPhone if i have to stay in jb 1.1.3 for ever, lol

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I don't care so much about customizing the phone. Most people in India only jailbreaking for one app - SMSD

Sending multiple SMSs and Contacts was one thing people really missed here.
Also the conversation format of the sms was not appreciated here.

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Only in america can u get away openly with crimes like that

C

Christiene

Wow, Really?!?!

Only in america can u get away openly with crimes like that
Really?!?!

But I heard many people from Asia do the jailbreaking or make the guides for you :)

But hey, iPhone is hot stuff.