($10 reward) Broke iPhone by changing file, how to SSH while in DFU/recovery?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gibson123

Oct 6, 2012
Hey there people,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but I had no idea where else to post it, anyway $10 paypal for the one who can help me out I'm utterly desperate!

So here's the thing: I went into iFile and changed the 'fstab' file and now it can't boot, anymore, it's stuck in a loop. it shows the Apple logo for 10 seconds and then restarts.
The file is 'fstab', and it's in /private/etc. I've already tried TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery but it doesn't work.

The file first looked like this:

/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1

/dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0

And I changed that to: su

alpine

sysctl -w
hw.cpufrequency_max=600000000

sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=600000000

sysctl -w
hw.cpufrequency_min=475000000

/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1

/dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0

My question: How do I SSH into the iPhone and change it back? It's in DFU/recovery mode and i'm really really desperate, I have no backup because I just got a new pc. Firmware 5.0 & please no paid software.

Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It doesn't sound like you had SSH set up on the phone, so you'll need to use a wired connection. This means you'll need to install program (they are similar to iFile app that's used on the phone) on your computer to see if you can access the phone's file system and repair the fstab file. If you can't get into the file system, you'll have to restore the phone.

I use Diskaid. It works with Macs and PCs and you can access the file system with the free version.
http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid/getting-started

Gibson123

Oct 6, 2012
It doesn't sound like you had SSH set up on the phone, so you'll need to use a wired connection. This means you'll need to install program (they are similar to iFile app that's used on the phone) on your computer to see if you can access the phone's file system and repair the fstab file. If you can't get into the file system, you'll have to restore the phone.

I use Diskaid. It works with Macs and PCs and you can access the file system with the free version.
Does diskaid work while in recovery mode? I downloaded it and it keeps saying to connect my phone.

Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does diskaid work while in recovery mode? I downloaded it and it keeps saying to connect my phone.

Thanks
Sometimes people who are stuck at the boot logo can use it to access the file system and fix things. Unfortunately, it's not connecting so you'll probably need to restore. You can try another program first, such as iPhoneBrowser, just to be safe.
When installing iFile I'm sure one of the dependencies is SSH.
I think OpenSSH would need to be installed prior to this happening for it to work.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
No, OpenSSH is not installed along with iFile.
I genuinely thought it did. OpenSSH is one of the first things I install when I jailbreak.

Thanks
Have you tried connecting to your device over USB with iPhone Explorer or DiskAid as mentioned above?

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
Assuming you have been jailbroken for a while...did you by any chance have your 5.x.x SHSH blobs saved with Cydia...? if YES a simple restore would fix things