($10 reward) Broke iPhone by changing file, how to SSH while in DFU/recovery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Gibson123, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Gibson123

Gibson123 New Member

Hey there people,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but I had no idea where else to post it, anyway $10 paypal for the one who can help me out I'm utterly desperate!

So here's the thing: I went into iFile and changed the 'fstab' file and now it can't boot, anymore, it's stuck in a loop. it shows the Apple logo for 10 seconds and then restarts.
    The file is 'fstab', and it's in /private/etc. I've already tried TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery but it doesn't work.

The file first looked like this:

/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1

/dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0

And I changed that to: su

alpine

sysctl -w
    hw.cpufrequency_max=600000000

sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=600000000

sysctl -w
    hw.cpufrequency_min=475000000

/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1

/dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0

My question: How do I SSH into the iPhone and change it back? It's in DFU/recovery mode and i'm really really desperate, I have no backup because I just got a new pc. Firmware 5.0 & please no paid software.

Thanks!

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Can you not SSH into the phone at all? Can you SSH over USB (with the phone connected to your PC)?

3. Gibson123

Gibson123 New Member

To be honest I have no idea how! Can you tell me?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It doesn't sound like you had SSH set up on the phone, so you'll need to use a wired connection. This means you'll need to install program (they are similar to iFile app that's used on the phone) on your computer to see if you can access the phone's file system and repair the fstab file. If you can't get into the file system, you'll have to restore the phone.

I use Diskaid. It works with Macs and PCs and you can access the file system with the free version.
    http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid/getting-started

5. Gibson123

Gibson123 New Member

Does diskaid work while in recovery mode? I downloaded it and it keeps saying to connect my phone.

Thanks

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

When installing iFile I'm sure one of the dependencies is SSH.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sometimes people who are stuck at the boot logo can use it to access the file system and fix things. Unfortunately, it's not connecting so you'll probably need to restore. You can try another program first, such as iPhoneBrowser, just to be safe.
    I think OpenSSH would need to be installed prior to this happening for it to work.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I meant, if you install iFile via Cydia then it should automatically download OpenSSH as well? I'm pretty positive this is the case.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, OpenSSH is not installed along with iFile.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I genuinely thought it did. OpenSSH is one of the first things I install when I jailbreak.

Have you tried connecting to your device over USB with iPhone Explorer or DiskAid as mentioned above?

11. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Assuming you have been jailbroken for a while...did you by any chance have your 5.x.x SHSH blobs saved with Cydia...? if YES a simple restore would fix things