100 Gig?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

emmaonline

Bronze
Nov 24, 2006
Do you feel that we are close yet to Apple coming out with a one hundred gig iPod this year?

They are up to 80 now I believe so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch... the problem is keeping the Ipod small enough but the new iPods seem to have come down in size a lot as they have gotten bigger hard drives.

tambermn

Dec 15, 2006
www.theradepoint.com
I could see that happening in the very near future, the original ipod is bigger than the others so even if the shrink it a little they won't have to worry about the kind of room they would if they had to do it with a nano.

Hannes911

Mar 8, 2007
Do you feel that we are close yet to Apple coming out with a one hundred gig iPod this year?

They are up to 80 now I believe so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch... the problem is keeping the Ipod small enough but the new iPods seem to have come down in size a lot as they have gotten bigger hard drives.
Never 100gb is too much no-one will buy it over the 80gb.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Never 100gb is too much no-one will buy it over the 80gb.
That's what they were saying when the 5/10 1G iPods were released. And then the 20. And then the 40. And then the 80. Not only will people be willing to buy more capacity, as more video content is available people will demand it. Just my 2¢.

-K

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
With video content up and video sales up, I say 100GB makes sense. Would be a helluva way to introduce a new iPod form factor. Is that coming now that we've seen the iPhone (which is the best iPod ever according to Phil Schiller)?

Mar 15, 2007
With video content up and video sales up, I say 100GB makes sense. Would be a helluva way to introduce a new iPod form factor. Is that coming now that we've seen the iPhone (which is the best iPod ever according to Phil Schiller)?
100GB or more. That's the trend. Invent something, then make it smaller, faster and able to store more info.

Mar 18, 2007

i fink yes your right its gonna happen and now with Apple moving to the NAND flash drives, this allows bigger storage in a smaller space..so wotch this space!

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I might be showing my age a little with this statement but I remember when one MB was a large amount of storage. I mean HUGE! Now 80 Gigs is commonplace. Personally I see no end to that march forward. Not if the data storage device companies have it their way. :)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
BREAKING NEWS: Floppy Floppy Floppy Come get your very own MASS MEDIA HOLDER! OVER 2 PICS. TEXT DOCUMENTS! WOW! only 100$. Get yours today :)

edlaue

May 9, 2007
That's what they were saying when the 5/10 1G iPods were released. And then the 20. And then the 40. And then the 80. Not only will people be willing to buy more capacity, as more video content is available people will demand it. Just my 2¢.

-K

Only 60-80 g

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
I consider myself an average iPod user and right now, I've been struggling with my 60gig iPod, because it's full (just of music, no video) and everytime I get some new music, it's like choosing between which of my children get to stay and what ones I give the boot to in order to make room for the new stuff I want...

In short, 100gig iPod is much in demand...

banjaxed

May 16, 2007
100gb !

I think that 80gb is plenty

I have a huuuge choice of mp3s, and I haven't managed to use the full capacity!

What does 100gb equate to as 128kb/s mp3's

Assuming the average track length is about 3.5 mins

Do people see ipods as a life long purchase, as I could quite happily take a life time to fill 100gb of mp3's!

I think that roughly you can fit 12-13 albums on 750mb

So multiply that by 100 and its about 1500 albums! at the least

if you obtain 20 albums a year thats 75 years it would take to fill the mother up! :p mmmmm nice :laugh2:

let me know ya thoughts

Peace out

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I think that 80gb is plenty

I have a huuuge choice of mp3s, and I haven't managed to use the full capacity!

What does 100gb equate to as 128kb/s mp3's

Assuming the average track length is about 3.5 mins

Do people see ipods as a life long purchase, as I could quite happily take a life time to fill 100gb of mp3's!

I think that roughly you can fit 12-13 albums on 750mb

So multiply that by 100 and its about 1500 albums! at the least

if you obtain 20 albums a year thats 75 years it would take to fill the mother up! :p mmmmm nice :laugh2:

let me know ya thoughts

Peace out
I think you are forgetting about video. 1 minute of video takes up substantially more space then music. If the next generation iPod shares the iPhone's form factor, video will be even more popular than it is now.

Also, 128k is on the lite side. Most people I know prefer 192+k and many want lossless. With today's hard drives it isn't only about how much music you can bring with you it is also about the quality.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I think you are forgetting about video.
... not to mention apps (games?), e-mail messages, ringtones, and web caching.

Also, an "8 GB" iPhone will almost certainly not have 8 GB of usable RAM. Freshly formatted, it will probably functionally have 90% of that, and you haven't yet installed system software (remember, it runs "Mac OS X").

-K