11 minutes from the time a call comes in until I get the voice mail

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
This is the first time I tested this on my phone, but I placed a call to myself at 9:50 am and left a voice mail message. I got the notification at 10:01, or 11 minutes later.

That kind of blows. I hope AT&T can speed this up at some point down the road.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
This is the first time I tested this on my phone, but I placed a call to myself at 9:50 am and left a voice mail message. I got the notification at 10:01, or 11 minutes later.

that's odd, I've never had that happen. is this the only time it has happened to you?

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
All of my voice mails are delayed...at least 10-15 minutes. Very aggravating.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
that's odd, I've never had that happen. is this the only time it has happened to you?
This doesn't happen/hasn't happened to me with my iPhone yet, but I've had VM notification and SMS delays sporadically on prior phones.

That said it does take a few seconds longer for me to get a VM reminder on my iPhone Vs. receiving an SMS. My assumption is it is because it has to DL the visual VM.

Either way 10 minutes doesn't seem normal.

--
Mike

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
odd, mine has been delayed since I received the phone...this isn't somthing new. I have several friends who all have the same issue.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
It could be my geographic location and AT&T's network (that much is a given). But yes, this happens with all voice mails, they are horribly delayed. I often see a call that's missed and call the person back and they say "oh, did you get my message?" I tell them I didn't get it, then several minutes into the call I get the notification I have a voice mail.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
It looks like you guys in Texas and Arizona have better response times.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Apparently, voice mails sends a special SMS to your phone, and the phone then goes out to retrieve the audio over EDGE.

Are you surfing the web? Do you have good EDGE reception? Are you using WiFi at the time?

Or it could just be slow AT&T :eek:

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I haven't timed it but on five voicemails (three yesterday from some bozo calling the wrong number - me - saying his driving directions were wrong), the voicemail shows up within 15 seconds to a minute. About the same as I've seen on other phones.

Note that the voicemail is transmitted via the edge data connection (unlike all previous phones). So if you were in an area with voice coverage but bad data coverage that would cause a delay in delivery.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Apparently, voice mails sends a special SMS to your phone, and the phone then goes out to retrieve the audio over EDGE.

Are you surfing the web? Do you have good EDGE reception? Are you using WiFi at the time?

Or it could just be slow AT&T :eek:
If you are talking on the phone when a voicemail comes in, it will not download the audio data to your phone until you complete your voice call. Voice calls and EDGE won't work at the same time.

That said, it doesn't sound like the problem you are having though. You should call your local AT&T store to see if anyone else have had issues like that in your area.

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007

Just tested it here 'burbs' of Washington DC, took 36 Seconds so its prob just based on the cell towers/receptions/edge connection.

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Just tested it here 'burbs' of Washington DC, took 36 Seconds so its prob just based on the cell towers/receptions/edge connection.
Yeah mine took about 30 sec or so.. no biggie.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
nope. i got mine right away... maybe sometimes 1-2 mins late

Thatguy

Jul 20, 2007

In my experience it takes under one minute. I rarely get voicemails though, I pick up almost all my calls.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Do you think it has something to do with whether you're in a hotspot or EDGE? Since it has to download the voicemail as data, maybe when it's using EDGE it takes 10 min and when it's using Wi-Fi it takes 1 min... I could be wrong...

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
For reference, in the huge market of Miami-Dade County, I get voicemails moments after the caller leaves them. Usually never more than 5-10 seconds.

Texts are a little faster. In the range of 3-5 seconds.