12 megabytes left?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Does anyone know the answer to this it just became 0 bytes be I cAn't install anyhing, someone help !
Mine shows 19 megs left. Not sure if apps are on their own partition or not, but the properties settings show me 7.3 gig capacity with 140 megs free. I've jam packed mine with media, but even when I did that in 1.0.2 I don't remember ever going lower than 90 megs in Installer.

Any ideas whats up?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Someone over at ModMyiPhone posted this temporary solution. Please note however, that the poster tried this on his ipod touch, which should be the same as the iPhone, but has not been tested yet. So caveat hacktor....

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=58177
Thanks for the link :)

Anyone give this a go? Apparently you can do all of it from MobileTerminal except for the last step which requires a desktop.

Heres a link to the full thread where thats mentioned:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58177#post58177

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I still have about 80 megs left, but it used to be at 130 or so. I was trying to do something about it and uninstalled a couple of apps, but even after I uninstalled the apps, the number stayed the same.
I install, the amount of free space obviously goes down, I uninstall, the amount of free space stays the same.....

Potential to get frustrating.. :(

rotero

Sep 24, 2007
what the hell is this at the bottom?
what does it mean, how do i increase it?
Unless 1.1.1 is different, on 1.0.2 that number does not represent free space. It only represents the amount of software available for download.

So if you downloaded all of the software shown from the sources, the number would be 0.

That is how I can quickly tell if there is something new to download. The "available" number increases from the last time I ran the installer app.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Unless 1.1.1 is different, on 1.0.2 that number does not represent free space. It only represents the amount of software available for download.

So if you downloaded all of the software shown from the sources, the number would be 0.

That is how I can quickly tell if there is something new to download. The "available" number increases from the last time I ran the installer app.
This is not true. The space is indeed the free space on the OS partition on the iPhone. It has nothing to do with how much is available for download.

I've verified this.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for the link :)

Anyone give this a go? Apparently you can do all of it from MobileTerminal except for the last step which requires a desktop.

Well you know I tried it. Mikey will try anything!

Seriously, it worked! I used PuTTY to enter the commands and now my Applications folder is symlinked to the larger partition. If I have any issues I can always restore again (I can jailbreak 1.1.1 in my sleep now).

I had only 19 MB free beforehand, now I show 45.4 MB free, and it doesn't go down no matter how much stuff I install (I manually copied 65 MB to /Applications and it didn't go down one byte). Cool!

BTW: /Applications now shows as a symlink in WinSCP. If yours looks like this it worked:

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks Mike!

And damn you too!

I'LL NEVER CATCH UP ON THANKS!

ALMOST, I SWEAR, JUST BEFORE YOUR 1.1.1 THREADS I WAS ON YOUR SIX!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Alright, I just gave this a go, can't believe it was that simple, lol.

I'm hovering at 43 megs of free space now. Oddly, I saw it go down from 43.3 to 43.2 after isntalling about 5 more applications than what I originally had. I made sure to delete my old apps folder and restarted just to be cetain these were going to the right place (yes my Applications folder has the shortcut icon on it). So I reckon Installer has some quirks of it's own, but as far as I can tell everything is on the other partition in the Var folder.

Oh yeah, after copying over the edited fstab I went tried to launch summerboard so I could just restart from there, oops! I had to laugh after I realized what I had just tried to do.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you Tinman and x999x for being brave enough to try this. Now that I know it works, I'll go ahead and take the plunge. :laugh2:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
tinman, where do i enter the codes, i have no clue at all
Here's the link again:
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58177#post58177

You can either use Mobile Terminal (except for the edit fstab part), WinSCP or Putty to run those commands. If you use WinSCP, go to Commands-->Open Terminal and input those codes. Remember to also edit the fstab file, as instructed.

I just did it myself and everything is running smoothly. Unlimited space for my third party apps now...yay!