16GB iPhone or wait for 3G iPhone?

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
Should I get the 16GB iPhone or wait for the new iPhone 3g. I am wondering when the new 3G iPhone will hit stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I'm going to buy the 16gig soon. Maybe from colorware so it will be custom paint and I won't have to send in my current 8gig.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, it really depends on if you think you need the 16GB now. As the new 16 is the same as the 4 and 8, I could only see someone upgrading at this point if they absolutely needed 16 GB at this time. Otherwise, I would just suggest waiting until word of the new iPhone is released, even though that may not be for a while.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Binks is absolutely right, unless your phone is filled to capacity, there is no real reason to upgrade to a 16gig. I would just wait for the 3G announcement which Steve Jobs said they were looking at 3G toward the END of this year.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If it were my money, I'd wait until they announce the next generation, and if it's coming out soon enough after the announcement, then I'd wait for that. But that's just me, speaking from experience of owning an iPhone and being willing to wait longer.

If you have the money, and you want it, buy it now. Don't wait for the next generation. Ever. Otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next generation.

edit: If you already have an iPhone, there's no need to upgrade just for more memory. It's not that important.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
If it were my money, I'd wait until they announce the next generation, and if it's coming out soon enough after the announcement, then I'd wait for that. But that's just me, speaking from experience of owning an iPhone and being willing to wait longer.

If you have the money, and you want it, buy it now. Don't wait for the next generation. Ever. Otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next generation.

edit: If you already have an iPhone, there's no need to upgrade just for more memory. It's not that important.
agreed, if you already have one, no need to upgrade for more memory. It sounds as if what we are going to be getting from the SDK is going to be limited for a while. By the time there are a lot of decent apps out I'm betting the iPhone 2 will be just around the corner.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
And it's not like iPhone apps will be that huge in the beginning anyway. Any existing 4 or 8 gb should be able to make full use of them just as well as a 16. Just without as much video and music alongside it...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I only upgraded to the 16gb b/c I sold my 30gb iPod and 80gb Zune. I've just about got the 16gb maxxed out, of course I can cull out some crap and make room if necessary.

Dave T

Jan 22, 2008
The thing you have to keep in mind is, there will always be a better iPhone just over the horizon. I think the 16 GB phone will hold its value even after the 3G phone shows up, due to better battery life. If you buy now, you should be able to re-sell it later. As for me, I have a lot of access to Wi-Fi, and am not really feeling that great a need for 3G.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It'd be stupid for there not to be. The iPhone is so much more usable an internet device than anything else of its class, and EDGE and WiFi ain't cutting it. It's a perfect fit for the iPhone.

Besides, AT&T's CEO let it slip, and Steve Jobs has never denied it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
It'd be stupid for there not to be. The iPhone is so much more usable an internet device than anything else, and EDGE and WiFi ain't cutting it. It's a perfect fit for the iPhone.

I agree it is probably the best internet device on the market for browsing. However there are devices that are more useful such as the Tilt and N95-3 when it comes to the internet browser capabilities. A 3g iPhone with the ability to upload/download files through the browser would kill them all though.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I agree it is probably the best internet device on the market for browsing. However there are devices that are more useful such as the Tilt and N95-3 when it comes to the internet browser capabilities. A 3g iPhone with the ability to upload/download files through the browser would kill them all though.
Yeah, I agree, not as functional (flash, java, uploads/downloads, tiny page buffer, etc)

But usable, most definitely. Just speaking in terms of the interface here, there's nothing that beats it.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
It'd be stupid for there not to be. The iPhone is so much more usable an internet device than anything else of its class, and EDGE and WiFi ain't cutting it. It's a perfect fit for the iPhone.

I agree, but have you heard anything conrete on the subject, other than rumors? I would love a 3G iPhone, but do you think we'll see on this year?

wth? are you a spammer or do you just randomly post irrelevant posts for the hell of it?
Yeah, what the hell was post all about? When I read it I thought WTF! LOL

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A high-level exec from both Apple and ATT have been on record stating there WILL be a 3G iPhone in 2008.

What you should ask yourself before getting all giddy is if you are in a city that has or will have (with recently announced 3G expansion) 3G service.

If you do not live in a 3G serviced area I am not 100% sure but it would sure seem you could be wasting your $$.

My totally wild-a$$ guess is the 3G iPhone hits by August or earlier. I thought this before hearing Tom M.'s estimate on BOL. I am the resident geek so I get this friggin question daily.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If I'm not mistaken, a 3G/HSDPA phone can revert to EDGE just as easily as an EDGE phone can revert to GPRS...or does that require extra chips in the phone?