16GB Touch to a 8GB or 16GB iPhone?

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
First off, this is my very first day on this forum and very first post so I am a total n00b. Just wanted to get that out of the way

Anyway, I am current owner of a 16GB iPod Touch (Maxxed out with music, videos, pictures, etc.) and don't really have a major reason to carry it around with me since my school is not allowed to have electronic devices visible and that's pretty much where I spend most of my day... I use it for music and I pretty much schedule my entire life in iCal and the Calendars app, but I just don't carry it around with me enough- but if it were my Cellphone; I would... So I have decided to switch to the iPhone. I am just speculating on if I want to get the 16GB and have a hiccup-less switch; or get an 8GB and have to manually manage my music and videos and such.... I just don't know. And it's a giant $100 difference that is just foiling my brain.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
First off, this is my very first day on this forum and very first post so I am a total n00b. Just wanted to get that out of the way

Anyway, I am current owner of a 16GB iPod Touch (Maxxed out with music, videos, pictures, etc.) and don't really have a major reason to carry it around with me since my school is not allowed to have electronic devices visible and that's pretty much where I spend most of my day... I use it for music and I pretty much schedule my entire life in iCal and the Calendars app, but I just don't carry it around with me enough- but if it were my Cellphone; I would... So I have decided to switch to the iPhone. I am just speculating on if I want to get the 16GB and have a hiccup-less switch; or get an 8GB and have to manually manage my music and videos and such.... I just don't know. And it's a giant $100 difference that is just foiling my brain.
Get a 16 gig. You wouldn't be happy about downgrading memory wise.(Especially since there will be apps soon that will take up memory also) Even though it is $100 difference, you will be glad in the long run, and you wont feel like you need 2 devices. Unless of course you really can't swing that extra hundred. Just sell your ipod on ebay first and that should pay for a good part of it. Also, if you have a decent cell phone now with no water damage you could sell that too (after you have bought your iPhone of course)

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Get a 16 gig. You wouldn't be happy about downgrading memory wise.(Especially since there will be apps soon that will take up memory also) Even though it is $100 difference, you will be glad in the long run, and you wont feel like you need 2 devices. Unless of course you really can't swing that extra hundred. Just sell your ipod on ebay first and that should pay for a good part of it. Also, if you have a decent cell phone now with no water damage you could sell that too (after you have bought your iPhone of course)
Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking about doing. Just wanted some feedback on my thoughts. My friend actually offered to give me $350 for my Touch. I also have a PSP + accessories up on Ebay for $100. I have a Moto SLVR so I could probably squeeze $50 - $75 out of that once I get my iPhone. (I bought my SLVR for $200 but saw that they definitely don't resell for that much :mad:) It's all good baby.

Thanks!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The SLVR was a good phone when it came out though. My son still uses one today. If I were you, I would go with the 16GB model just to make it an easy transition from your iPod touch.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
The SLVR was a good phone when it came out though. My son still uses one today. If I were you, I would go with the 16GB model just to make it an easy transition from your iPod touch.
Yeah, the slvr was highly desirable at the time because (I think) it was the first phone that you could sync with iTunes. The only thing that sucked about it was the mic was in a HORRIBLE place and people would always think their mic was broken because it was muffled by their face.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah, the slvr was highly desirable at the time because (I think) it was the first phone that you could sync with iTunes. The only thing that sucked about it was the mic was in a HORRIBLE place and people would always think their mic was broken because it was muffled by their face.
Nope. The first cell phone that you could sync to iTunes was the Motorola ROKR. It had stereo speakers, funlights, and haptics (simulated surround sound with vibrations). I've still got one. It was a great phone, but it was also a little too big, so Moto brought out the SLVR to replace it.

On both phones, Apple built a 100 song limit into the software, and the sync process was terribly slow as well. Once Apple decided to get into the cell phone industry their relationship with Motorola ended. The last model Moto released with iTunes was the Cingular version of the RAZR V3i (i for iTunes).

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Nope. The first cell phone that you could sync to iTunes was the Motorola ROKR. It had stereo speakers, funlights, and haptics (simulated surround sound with vibrations). I've still got one. It was a great phone, but it was also a little too big, so Moto brought out the SLVR to replace it.

On both phones, Apple built a 100 song limit into the software, and the sync process was terribly slow as well. Once Apple decided to get into the cell phone industry their relationship with Motorola ended. The last model Moto released with iTunes was the Cingular version of the RAZR V3i (i for iTunes).
oh yeah I forgot about the rokr. That thing was ugly imo. I think the slvr was more popular because of the appeal of the skinny phone craze. Actually there was a hack that could get around the 100 song limit, but not by far because I think the largest micro sd it could use was 1 gb (if that). Overall it was still pretty cool compared to what was out there at the time.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
go with the 16gb, I had a 16gb touch and switched to a 8gb iPhone. Even though I use less than 1gb of memory on either device so far you miss that extra memory and feel like you've downgraded.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
oh yeah I forgot about the rokr. That thing was ugly imo. I think the slvr was more popular because of the appeal of the skinny phone craze. Actually there was a hack that could get around the 100 song limit, but not by far because I think the largest micro sd it could use was 1 gb (if that). Overall it was still pretty cool compared to what was out there at the time.
Lol That just reminded me of the funny commercial where the people walk and the shadows dance. But get the 16Gb i have the 8 gig and i want to upgrade since i jailbreaked. plus I'm a music lover i buy albums almost everyweek; so by the summer i won't really have any space for more music.(Just started a collection)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yep. You could flash the firmware and put on an iTunes like music software. Many of the guys on MOMO hacked their ROKRs. The SLVR on the other hand was much harder to hack. Because of the bootloader it was impossible to unlock without a testpoint method.