$17 upgrade fee

lahaye7

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
My contract expires 8/30 with my V1 iPhone. I'm getting antsy to upgrade to 3Gs. Anyway, I was just seeing how much it would cost me to upgrade at this time and they want to charge me this $17 fee. Yes, It's just $17, but I find this annoying. If I wait, will I have to pay this?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
An upgrade fee is normal. You'll have to pay it no matter when you upgrade to the 3GS.

The only way to avoid it is if you have a FAN (Foundation Account Number) discount through a company or university who has already agreed with AT&T that upgrade fees will not apply to these accounts. I have not read of many FAN accounts with this arrangement, however.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
If I am not mistaken, it has nothing to do with an iPhone. You could upgrade from an LG phone to a Samsung phone and AT&T will still charge you that upgrade fee.

In addition, if you by a subsidized phone, they will charge you sales tax on the full price. For example, the 8GB 3G phone is now $99. Your sales tax will be calculated off the $499 price! That really blows!

outforit

May 28, 2009
The upgrade fee i was told two days ago was 18 and they add that to your bill.

as far as paying the tax on a 99 dollar phone as if it was 499....Never heard of that and if they tried to get me to pay that they would find the iPhone shoved somewhere, sideways.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
The upgrade fee i was told two days ago was 18 and they add that to your bill.

as far as paying the tax on a 99 dollar phone as if it was 499....Never heard of that and if they tried to get me to pay that they would find the iPhone shoved somewhere, sideways.
I argued, but to no avail. Maybe it's just a California policy?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
That is a CA thing. They charge tax on the full price, not the discounted one. I don't know if any other states do this.

Joe

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Must be a CA thing, I paid about 13 bucks in sales tax on my 3GS, which is about right since it's 7% tax on $199.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
An upgrade fee is normal. You'll have to pay it no matter when you upgrade to the 3GS.

The only way to avoid it is if you have a FAN (Foundation Account Number) discount through a company or university who has already agreed with AT&T that upgrade fees will not apply to these accounts. I have not read of many FAN accounts with this arrangement, however.
I have a University of Florida FAN (highly appropriate name) discount on the account of 15% and we paid $0 for the upgrade fee. I didn't even realize it until I saw this thread.

AT&T really blows with stuff like that, I mean it's bad enough you're paying hundreds more to get the new phone so they might as well somehow cut the people who keep them in businesss a break! ;)

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com
Definitely a cali thing, but cali has more benefits as it seems all our policies (AT&T) go like this:

"Everyone must xyz, except California"

I think this is because of Hollywood. They figure more $$$, they can pay a little extra in sales tax. I believe the lost or stolen policy states that users have to report it stolen and suspend within a certain amount of time (forget what that is, but it's not long), but California? They can report a lost/stolen phone 6 months later and get the credit back (after an investigation) to their account for usage. I guess they figure Hollywood stars may have 102929028383 phones and may not notice when one is missing.