18 days left, shouldn't Apple...

miphone

Jun 19, 2007
Herndon, Va
I have been wondering, with 18 days left until the iPhone 3G is released:laugh2: how come Apple hasn't really been promoting it? I mean shouldn't there be little displays on the phone like last year with the huge fake iPhones and the actual iPhone on display that demos the features?:sick: I think with the iDay II coming up they should really be marketing like crazy...lemme know what u guyz think.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I have been wondering, with 18 days left until the iPhone 3G is released:laugh2: how come Apple hasn't really been promoting it? I mean shouldn't there be little displays on the phone like last year with the huge fake iPhones and the actual iPhone on display that demos the features?:sick: I think with the iDay II coming up they should really be marketing like crazy...lemme know what u guyz think.
What for, all of us are advertising it for them for free...lol. I alone have secured 3 iPhone sales at my job...lol

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
What for, all of us are advertising it for them for free...lol. I alone have secured 3 iPhone sales at my job...lol
All of us and all of the media - web media and print media etc. I think Apple are very sharp at making maximum use of all the free pub and then wheeling out their big marketing war chest ...

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I agree. With the OP mostly. But I think that Apple trys to make it seem like they have it more together than they really do. Now that I think of it. 2.0 has to be ready right? Because all those phones on July 11 will have it on there already. Unless we have to upgrade our software while we activate our phones in store! THat would be a nightmare!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I agree. I don't think they're promoting this release anything like last year's.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
It might have something to do with the fact that 3G coverage is so spotty right now, im sure when they start adding more smaller towns instead of mostly big cities the advertising will increase, because when you think about it, marketing a 3g phone with maybe 3 quarters of it not being able to access 3g in their hometown (just a guesstamate) is like putting the cart before the horse. Apple knows people are clammering for a more feature rich phone, And wants to keep building its lead against the competition.
But unfortunately At&t is not keeping pace with Apple right now, "so lets not bring attention to that" might be the thinking, lets roll it out quitely until someone shoves a pinecone up At&ts arse to speed up the inclusion of more towns in 3g coverage.

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Well the iPhone2 isn't much of a big deal around my neck of the woods. Due to the fact the 3G isn't here. So no need to wait in long lines and pay a higher monthly rate for a 3G service that can't be utilized.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
yeah not much promotion at all.. i almost GUARANTEE that most will walk into the store and buy the new phone without a line and no problems at all

well there might be lines.. but it will only be because of people wanting to be certain they get it on the first day.. after the small lines clear, i bet people will just walk in and buy them

Last edited by a moderator:

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I think advertising heavily now would be a waste because we are still 16 days away from the release date. I think Apple will air a commercial about the iPhone 3g during the 4th of July weekend.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Advertising should pick up as we get a little closer. Last year the advertisements didn't really hit until right before iDay. Most of the hype was built up online through places like EiC and Engadget.