$19.99 Apps? Could Be

KRAPPS

Bronze
Nov 10, 2008
KRAPPS.com
Rumor has it that Apple will be opening a premium $19.99 games section in the App Store. This section will only be limited to "large publishers".

Hmmm .... thinking EA Mobile's Need For Speed might be one of the first apps in this section?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If indeed true, I find this move interesting. I wonder if this is more fallout from the 99 cent app movement. If I'm a big time developer, I might be asking Apple how I compete against the onslaught of cheap apps. If I'm Apple, I want those premium developers and the way to do it might be this "Premium App Store".

Personally, I think it's a great idea, but the onus will shift back on the developers. I'll pony up $20 for an app, but it better be 20 times better than anything I can find at the dollar store.

It still doesn't help independents who might want to create that stellar, wide ranging (ie. more expensive) app.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i'll have no problem paying for $20 games as long as they have the quality to match the games on the ds/psp

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
EA's current offerings are not on par with the PSP. Madden 2010 on iPhone? If done right, that's a $20 app. Why hasn't EA developed that game or have they?

Gameloft offers Brother in Arms (app store link)...that appears to be a game with plenty of depth. That's only $5.99.

KRAPPS

Bronze
Nov 10, 2008
KRAPPS.com
It still doesn't help independents who might want to create that stellar, wide ranging (ie. more expensive) app.
Yeah, I'm scratching my head about the smaller indy developers. Take for example Appy Entertainment ... all who were previously with the giant Full Moon ... they are smaller players now, but shouldn't they be considered entry into the premium section ... this could get messy.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, "premium apps" should be based on Merit, not brand name.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
i'll have no problem paying for $20 games as long as they have the quality to match the games on the ds/psp
The problem there is DS games can be up to 256MB and PSP games up to 1.8GB. It gets messy with the Appstore being the only distribution channel and 16GB being the current max in iPhone storage. Something's gotta give if they really want this to take off.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For me, physical buttons are the big hurdle. The bulk of games rely on good hard physical buttons. An iPhone sanctioned accessory would certainly fix that issue, since these new batch of premium games will not support iControlPad, if that controller ever sees the light of day.

Last edited:

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
No buttons makes for a pretty shaky playing experience. Games like Fieldrunners can get away with it because they aren't intensive. Games like Cube just aren't fun. Although the controls of Cube were well thought out, I never liked it compared to using a D-Pad.

Another thing, for me personally, is the price. The way the iPhone is now games really suck the battery dry. So paying $20.00 for a game that'll drain the battery in 2 hrs is pretty expensive. Not only do you drain the battery, but you lose your phone.

One more pint, for me personally, I'm a fan of $0.99 apps. If the price of an app is over $0.99 I really have to think about buying it. Most apps are built by one man. If you make a good app and sell it for $0.99 you'll be making $9, 900 for just 10, 000 downloads. That's a pretty good pay out, and I say that while being knowledgeable in the coding department.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you make a good app and sell it for $0.99 you'll be making $9, 900 for just 10, 000 downloads. That's a pretty good pay out, and I say that while being knowledgeable in the coding department.
Don't forget Apple takes a hefty percentage of App sales.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The game will definitely have to be good enough to warrant the $20 purchase. My biggest App Store purchase so far was only $9.99 for NetShare.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
Don't forget Apple takes a hefty percentage of App sales.
I don't think Apple takes that much, and even if they take 50% you're still making $4, 950. And you put that in a month, which is around 4 weeks, that would be $22.10 per hour, if you only work 8hrs a day. With the applications we've seen so far, hardly any can justify a months work. So even $0.99 is pretty outrageous.

Dec 8, 2008
N
^^^ forgets about taxes and other expenses. This is to the person above "psylichon" = spelled wrong for sure

Anywyas. For games to be as performant as the psp/ds would require a different iPhone because the 3g doesn't have a dedicated graphic cards... And lets not mention ram... Hopefully next hardware guys.

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
The game will definitely have to be good enough to warrant the $20 purchase. My biggest App Store purchase so far was only $9.99 for NetShare.
This is why this is a bad idea, for the consumer. See, there are good games that are under $10 now, that I'm sure could easily charge $20. People are expecting more/better games in this Premium Store. The fact is, you're going to see the same quality sometimes even worse in this new apps section. So now you're going to pay double or more for the same thing. This Premium Store is just an excuse to charge more. Sometimes people forget the world we live in, it's all about profits, not the consumer :)

Sure, there are apps that are worthy. But I'm just thinking, the days of buying good games from big name companies for $5-$10 are gone (soon).

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
The problem there is DS games can be up to 256MB and PSP games up to 1.8GB. It gets messy with the Appstore being the only distribution channel and 16GB being the current max in iPhone storage. Something's gotta give if they really want this to take off.
They could add extra storage to the iPhone's :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I have to agree that buttons are the key to real gaming.