19 Million to buy iPhone

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
19 Million Americans May Buy Apple iPhone
http://www.teleclick.ca/2007/06/19-million-americans-may-buy-apple-iphone/

About 9% of the 11,064 cell phone users surveyed said that they were inclined to buy the much-hyped music phone, which is set for release on June 29. This works out to approximately 19 million American wireless subscribers, according to M:Metrics’ report.

19 million?!? Holy Crap Batman!

I hope they don't all buy on launch day. At my Apple store. Yikes!

- SR

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
19 Million Americans May Buy Apple iPhone
http://www.teleclick.ca/2007/06/19-million-americans-may-buy-apple-iphone/

About 9% of the 11,064 cell phone users surveyed said that they were inclined to buy the much-hyped music phone, which is set for release on June 29. This works out to approximately 19 million American wireless subscribers, according to M:Metrics’ report.

19 million?!? Holy Crap Batman!

I hope they don't all buy on launch day. At my Apple store. Yikes!

- SR
The key word is "inclined".

inclined : Having a preference, disposition, or tendency

I am inclined to buy a Lamborghini Murcielago.. But I don't have $100K!

How many people are really really gone to throw down $500-$600 for a phone?

When the AT&T sales persons says..."That will be $500 for the phone, $39 per month for your voice plan and $39 per month for your data plan.." I think a lot of people are going to say ...no thanks.

Think about it.. thats almost a $2400 investment for a cell phone. WOW!

We shall see.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
aren't they shooting for 11million?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I assume you mean the $2400 is just for service... that $80/month in voice/data really becomes more $100/month after taxes, FCC fees, and all the other crap they throw in. Tack on a 8 GB iPhone and you're really at $3000. All told you pay about $125/month for the phone and service. With the useless data plan out of the equation you can save almost $1000.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
The article actually says that almost 10% have a "strong interest" in purchasing an iPhone. Although I don't know how they come up with the 19M number. The cell phone market currently stands at about a billion handsets a year. 19M is 1.9% of a billion. So I don't know where they come up with that statistical leap.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
And how is that different from any other smart phone?

The iPhone is not a Motorola V188 that you get for FREE after rebate or a RAZOR that you get for $49 after rebate that don't need data plans. If you are going to talk about price you need to compare smart phones with smart phones.

Add up the charges for a Blackberry or BlackJack and compare that with an iPhone. The taxes, fees, data and voice plans will all be pretty much the same. The differance is that iPhone will not be subsidized, you will actually have to pay for it, no rebate.

OK, so maybe you can get away with a one year plan instead of two years on a Blackberry but come on, who do you know with a Smart phone that has only used it for one year? And no data plan with smart phone? Why? Isn't that the point?

- SR

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
no data plan with smart phone? Why? Isn't that the point?
I think you'd agree the iPhone is a slightly different breed. Whether you really need a data plan is definitely subjective--on a BlackJack it's optional and one can be had for less than a c-note these days.

I'm not going to rehash the "some people just want a phone and iPod device" point again...

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I understand that the data plan is 'optional' with other smart phones but my question remains, why? Without a data plan a smart phone is just another stupid cell phone, just bigger with crappier software. The data plan is what makes it smart.

If you just want an iPod that can make phone calls then the iPhone is not for you. That is not what the iPhone is and I think a lot of the media is missing that point. An iPod that can make phone calls is the Motorola Roxr or one of the Sony Walkman phones. Yuck. But if you don't want a data plan thats what you will end up with.

My original point in this thread was about the overall cost. Someone pointed out that when you add everything up it comes to over $2400 but they failed to compare it to anything. My point was comparing it to a non smart phone (or one without a data plan) was not a valid argument. A 'free' phone on a two year $40 dollar voice plan comes to $960. When I compare that to a iPhone at $2400 it doesn't sound that bad. No look at a smart phone with a $70 voice/data plan and a cost of $100 for the phone and you are already over $1,700. $2,400 for an iPhone almost seems like a bargin to me.

- SR

jswan

Mar 20, 2007
I understand that the data plan is 'optional' with other smart phones but my question remains, why? Without a data plan a smart phone is just another stupid cell phone, just bigger with crappier software. The data plan is what makes it smart.

- SR
Personally, I'm on a college campus most of the year, with Wifi coverage everywhere I go. I think you're forgetting Wifi as a tool to make a smartphone "smart" just as a data plan does. If I could, I'd get an iPhone with very little data coverage, since I already have free "data" coverage from Wifi. Paying 20 or 40 or whatever bucks a month for a service I won't be using is pretty annoying.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
You can define "smart phone" however you want but the widescreen iPod remains a major selling feature for plenty of folks, plus eliminating their older crappy phones with one convergence device. Jobs even made a point about this in the keynote...

Integrating with Mac OS X, having all contacts available and be able to check your mail on vacation (for example) without needing a laptop is a pretty big advantage. I just don't need 24/7 access to e-mail or the internet which is what a data plan will give you and I'm sure I'm not alone here—as jswan mentioned, I would primarily be using Internet capabilities with the built-in Wi-Fi connection.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
It's pretty phenomenal how every topic almost immediately gets diverted to talking about the cost of the data plan... of which no one knows the cost.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
having all contacts available and be able to check your mail on vacation (for example) without needing a laptop is a pretty big advantage.
Yes, it is. How are you going to do that without the data connection?

Everyone is whining about having to get a data plan. About 80% of the iPhone
will need the data plan. Just checking voicemail will probably need the data plan. That is the only way I can see that you can get non-linear access to voicemail.

What did you expect from a 'revolutionary communications device'?

- SR

7up

Jun 20, 2007
I hope they made enough units so it doesn't run out..