$199 & $299.. don't forget the "Catch"

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Those awesome low prices are ONLY for a new phone with a new 2 year contract. So........... I am guessing anyone who has an iPhone already, will have to pay a lot more (?) to get a new phone and keep their current contract going.

That stinks! I want a new $299 16gb iPhone! NOW! (Ok, July 11th even)

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Those awesome low prices are ONLY for a new phone with a new 2 year contract. So........... I am guessing anyone who has an iPhone already, will have to pay a lot more (?) to get a new phone and keep their current contract going.

That stinks! I want a new $299 16gb iPhone! NOW! (Ok, July 11th even)
No, it's same price. It'll simply EXTEND your contract another two years. Just like V1.

xxsirvtecxx

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Exactly, there is no catch, all they will do and its clear as day is extend your exisiting contract by two years...there are no discounts on iPhones anyway, so in theory there is no catch, a contract is expected on every new phone purchase

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The catch will be the data plan.... (guessing)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think because the price IS so low that it makes everyone think there is a catch when there actually isn't.

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
:laugh2:

WOW..... then I am IN as they say!

I can't wait.

Thanks for the followup messages!

brettn

Jun 4, 2008
Massachusetts
As psylichon is predicting,

I too bet AT&T will try to force people to sign up for a 3G data plan ($30 per month).

I really hope not.
I was able to get my Treo w/o a data plan and I hope to do the same with the iPhone. Any data stuff I would do on the phone via "free" wifi. I don't have an extra $30 a month (per phone) to shell out for a data plan.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What if you buy it from Apple and activate it with your current SIM card and then just change your data plan? Will that still extend the contract?

Jun 26, 2007
Wait so we wont have to pay a fee for an early upgrade even though we arent eligible?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
There's no fee. You just buy the phone with a new sim card already installed and then activate it. It has come out that the lowest iPhone 3G plan will be $30/month instead of the lowest current iPhone plan of $20/month. That's all the price increase you pay. I'm sure if you currently have a 1500/month text message plan or unlimited text message plan, then the price will be increased accordingly.

jbone108

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Wait so we wont have to pay a fee for an early upgrade even though we arent eligible?

We are eligible. Go to your account @attwireless com. select your iPhone. then click Upgrade you should see the you qualify for discounts off of non iPhones. We signed a 2 year contract but did not receive any promotions to sign up

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
$10 a month more for data plan? No thanks buddy. That equals $120 extra I'm paying for a phone that doesn't even have a video camera or mobile tv service. I'll stick with my jailbroken iPhone with my video recorder app.

Now if the 3g plan included mobile tv service as well, I would have jumped on it right away. But too bad Apple had to disappoint with the feature-less 3g model.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
$10 a month more for data plan? No thanks buddy. That equals $120 extra I'm paying for a phone that doesn't even have a video camera or mobile tv service. I'll stick with my jailbroken iPhone with my video recorder app.

Now if the 3g plan included mobile tv service as well, I would have jumped on it right away. But too bad Apple had to disappoint with the feature-less 3g model.
mobil tv is an additional option with any phone. You would have to pay extra for it too.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
What if you buy it from Apple and activate it with your current SIM card and then just change your data plan? Will that still extend the contract?
the new iPhone will not be sold online. And it will have to be activated either in the Apple Store or in the AT&T store. That is the way they are going to 1. force you to renew your contract, and 2. avoid the unlocking problem.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
the new iPhone will not be sold online. And it will have to be activated either in the Apple Store or in the AT&T store. That is the way they are going to 1. force you to renew your contract, and 2. avoid the unlocking problem.
That makes sense, but where did you get this information?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
There's no fee. You just buy the phone with a new sim card already installed and then activate it. It has come out that the lowest iPhone 3G plan will be $30/month instead of the lowest current iPhone plan of $20/month. That's all the price increase you pay. I'm sure if you currently have a 1500/month text message plan or unlimited text message plan, then the price will be increased accordingly.
5,000 posts?!?! Damn!