$1mil. idea #1

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So I have a couple of these, but this one I'm willing to share.

I think bluetooth is a sadly underutilized method of hardware expansion for mobile phones (especially the iPhone). So Apple needs to get on that.... but here's a BT contraption idea that isn't even on the market yet (that I know of):

So you buy this little hockey-puck looking thing that pairs with your phone... it has an infrared lamp on it, and you set it up aimed at your television in your living room. When you're in range, your phone auto-pairs with it and becomes the most badass, programmable, touchscreen remote control you've ever had. One that connects to the internet easily for updates or codes. Think about it... could be huge.

So that one's free... if you see it out there at some point, think of me. Thanks for your time.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
It's one of the reasons I still like my Samsung i730.

Not only is it fast, 3G, WiFi, has a nice touchscreen, and runs the Slingbox player, but it has an IR remote program built in to control your A/V equipment.

It was a sad day when PDAs/phones gave up the IR port.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It was a sad day when PDAs/phones gave up the IR port.
Most aren't powerful enough to properly function as as a remote control anyhow. I know this was the issue with Windows Smartphones never getting universal remote software. None of them could physically do it.

Besides, you ever use one for a file transfer? [yawn]

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Most aren't powerful enough to properly function as as a remote control anyhow. I know this was the issue with Windows Smartphones never getting universal remote software. None of them could physically do it.
I've written/used remote control software for IR back when CPUs ran at 500 KHz or less.

For that matter, do you think the cpus in handheld remotes that learn, are that powerful?
Most IR codes are modulated at only 40KHz.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Just take two wires and plug them into the 120v line in the house, and attach the other end to your iPhone. That will generate some IR. When the fire starts.