1st AT&T Bill

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Well, today I got my first online bill for my first month of iPhone usage. My plan was for 450mins daytime and 5000mins evenings with unlimited data for 70.00/month with 200txt mssgs for an additional 5.00. To the layman, that adds up to 75.00/month but to AT&T, that adds up to 179.89. ? I know where I went to school, 2+2=4 but what the frak? lol.

I immediately called them and the nice woman described how my service was prorated for the month, and then they added the monthly charge on top of that. She also explained that my bill would just be the 75.00 next month. I sure hope so. Lol.

Here's the kicker.... I get 450 mins. a month. I used 2 mins. this month, all the rest of my minutes will rollover. I have been using my phone on 3G and Wifi every single day since I got it. All day long. I don't make calls on it. Mainly because I have another phone for phone calls which I don't have to pay for. (Business perk). So basically, I should have thousands of minutes every month to use if I want to. AND... I have high speed internet pretty much every where I go. Not bad for 75.00/month. It's like having a air card with me. When they make an app to tether it to my laptop, it could be even more interesting. Although, I can get wireless almost everywhere with the laptop now.

So that was my big shock for the night.

Regards

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
When they make an app to tether it to my laptop, it could be even more interesting.
They had one and Apple pulled it from the store. Maybe they will come back with one for a monthly cost (I would pay $10 more)

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
My last bill with AT&T for my old phone was about $99. I think that included my upgrade fee of $18 since I added a corporate discount a day later.

So, after adding the corporate discount I'm on a new account and I got a bill late last month for a prorated $50.

My next statement comes out on 8/17 and that bill should be around $100 since I'm on a family plan. I have a corporate discount too so it'll hopefully be a little cheaper.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I looked up mine yesterday. Was $90 and some change. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have a corporate discount applied, so the next bill shouldn't be as much. :D

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
yeah, my bill is over $200 when it should be about $112 before taxes...

so my question for you, since you talked to an AT&T rep...i don't understand how they prorate it (so it should be LESS than normal because its only about 3 weeks of service) but then they add your normal service charge to that prorated charge....that doesn't make sense. they are basically charging us double for the first month?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
yeah, my bill is over $200 when it should be about $112 before taxes...

so my question for you, since you talked to an AT&T rep...i don't understand how they prorate it (so it should be LESS than normal because its only about 3 weeks of service) but then they add your normal service charge to that prorated charge....that doesn't make sense. they are basically charging us double for the first month?
They charge you for the month you just finished AND the next month as well. So say your bill comes out on the 2nd. That would mean you have a prorated charge from 7/11-8/1 and then a normal charge of 8/2-/9/2. Your next bill will charge you for 9/2-10/2.

Some things to watch out for on this first bill. I have 4 numbers on a family plan, and they charged $9.99 for all three lines when one of them should have been free (the first two lines are free). Also, for activation fees, one number was charged $36 while the other was $26 (the other two were already AT&T customers). Why would the activation fees be different?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
My bill was $328.00 - did i win the high ass bill contest?!?!? I think i did.

This includes the prorated bills and the activation fees and the next month. I went over the bill with a fine tooth comb with the rep and wrote down everything she said. It all computes, but it is so high. She told me my next bill will be $159.99 and that is the normal bill which includes the unlimited text messages.

They actually owe me $10 for over charging me for the Unlimited texts @$40 a month instead of $30 package we signed up for.

We have a family plan with 700 minutes.

I knew the first bill would be high. I'll be glad to get normal bills from now on.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
i'm losing respect from other members so I'm trying to tone down GAYT&T

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
You should have gotten them to give you the disabled person's voice plan.

If you are deaf, I believe they waive the voice charge, and you can just add a data plan to the iPhone?

I believe I read this somewhere here and if true, it seems like what you need, only using 2 minutes of voice and all.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
My bill was $328.00 - did i win the high ass bill contest?!?!? I think i did.

This includes the prorated bills and the activation fees and the next month. I went over the bill with a fine tooth comb with the rep and wrote down everything she said. It all computes, but it is so high. She told me my next bill will be $159.99 and that is the normal bill which includes the unlimited text messages.

They actually owe me $10 for over charging me for the Unlimited texts @$40 a month instead of $30 package we signed up for.

We have a family plan with 700 minutes.

I knew the first bill would be high. I'll be glad to get normal bills from now on.
Well it sounds like you got more minutes and more features. I have a family plan: iPhone 3G + dumbphone with 450 minutes/month shared + 200 texts/month just for the iPhone. Of course, we all have the same data package. Plus, I get a 13% corporate discount.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
They charge you for the month you just finished AND the next month as well. So say your bill comes out on the 2nd. That would mean you have a prorated charge from 7/11-8/1 and then a normal charge of 8/2-/9/2. Your next bill will charge you for 9/2-10/2.

Some things to watch out for on this first bill. I have 4 numbers on a family plan, and they charged $9.99 for all three lines when one of them should have been free (the first two lines are free). Also, for activation fees, one number was charged $36 while the other was $26 (the other two were already AT&T customers). Why would the activation fees be different?
I'm so glad I read this...My husband & I share the family 700min plan. I looked @ our bill & they've been charging us $9.99 for my line. My husband & one of his friends shared a plan together before we got married. Then when we got married he added my line to the plan & his friend about 6mos later changed services. I think they've been charging the $9.99 for my line all this time. I called my husband & he's going to call AT&T when he gets home

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
My guess is....

.i don't understand how they prorate it (so it should be LESS than normal because its only about 3 weeks of service) but then they add your normal service charge to that prorated charge....that doesn't make sense. they are basically charging us double for the first month?
That I wasn't charged for the first month up front. So when my 2nd month started, they charged me for the second month in advance and added the partial first month to it. (Otherwise I would be upset).

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Interesting...

If you are deaf, I believe they waive the voice charge, and you can just add a data plan to the iPhone?
yeah but if and when I decide to use it I may have a hard time explaining that one. lol. After all, I will be using the thousands of minutes at sometime.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I don't get how they prorate the bill. I only had 11 days prorated, yet they charged me half the voice charges , 25 out of 30 dollars for the iPhone charges, and they also charged me 15 dollars for one line that shouldn't have been charged to begin with (here you can see how they charged half the month instead of 1/3.)

Bottom line, my bill was 332 bucks! That's for 4 lines on the 700 minute plan, including 1 iPhone 3G and 1 original iPhone, billed from 7/19 to 9/1. Does that sound normal? The bill was a big mess.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I checked my bill a few days ago....came out to $221. Last month it came to $180 (before I got my 3G). And this is a 700 min family share plan with four lines now (iPhone and 3 BB). Doesn't seem right, but I'm not complaining! lol

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
This is my first complete bill with the iPhone 3G.

I have a 550 minute FamilyTalk plan with my dad. I have the iPhone and he has a dumbphone.
Obviously, I get unlimited internet - my dad does not. And I tacked on 200 SMS texts just for myself.
I also have a 13% corporate discount.
Also for some reason I got credited about $6. Maybe I overpaid before.

So, my bill came out to $96.58.

Not bad for two phones huh?

Before that I had two prorated bills - one for $99 and another for $50. I bet my upgrade fee was somewhere in there. And I had to pay whatever I used with my old phone, which was also with AT&T.