1st drop shattered screen

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
My new 3G white 20 days old.....1st drop approx 3ft from pants pocket with leather padded case on it. Result....spider web crack on upper right 1-1/2" of screen! Phone and all functions still work but I have this ugly crack to contend with.

No wonder they don't offer accidental coverage on these things. I'm very disappointed. I have never once cracked a screen on a smart phone...EVER!

Had my Treo for 2-1/2 years never once an issue.

AT&T store immediately said it's an Apple issue and did not offer any solutions. They did not offer to send for repair or the option to repurchase another replacement they just said they couldn't help me. I should have purchased from Apple. I will never purchase anything from AT&T ever again.

I'm going to try the Apple Store

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
AT&T store immediately said it's an Apple issue and did not offer any solutions. They did not offer to send for repair or the option to repurchase another replacement they just said they couldn't help me. I should have purchased from Apple. I will never purchase anything from AT&T ever again.

I'm going to try the Apple Store

It doesn't matter what your problem is AT&T doesn't do anything with iPhones on any issues as a matter of fact they don't do repair on ANY phone if its under warranty they will have you call if its under insurance they have you call and pay the 50bucks then send you a replacement

AT&T did away with their repair dept. years ago

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
To be honest I probably would have stayed with my Treo if I would have known that they did not offer accidental replacement insurance for the iPhone. I did not find this out until I picked up the phone when the DF came in.

I should have known better than to accept it without being able to get insurance on it.....Lesson Learned...LOL

If I would have had Icare would that have made a difference? As far as I can tell they don't cover accidental drops.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Good luck with Apple, but I have a feeling they're not going to replace a cracked screen under warranty. "Luckily" the 3G has a separate screen and LCD, so replacing the glass isn't nearly as expensive or daunting a task as it used to be.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang sorry to hear about your luck. I too doubt that Apple will replace anything for free under warranty but hopefully the repair won't be too costly.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
To be honest I probably would have stayed with my Treo if I would have known that they did not offer accidental replacement insurance for the iPhone. I did not find this out until I picked up the phone when the DF came in.

I should have known better than to accept it without being able to get insurance on it.....Lesson Learned...LOL

If I would have had Icare would that have made a difference? As far as I can tell they don't cover accidental drops.
You should still be able to return the phone within 30 days of purchase...without a cracked screen of course. Maybe replace the glass then return it before your 30 days are up and you won't have to learn your lesson. You'll get your money back.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well I am pretty positive ATT does not offer any sort of insurence on any Smartphone/PDA. When you go to Apple, argue to the fact that it is still under 30 days and the phone is already broken in such a small amount of time. And say I understand i will have to pay a restocking fee. Because a product breaking in less than 30 days, thats unacceptable, even if its your fault, they will take it back or replace it.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Well I am pretty positive ATT does not offer any sort of insurence on any Smartphone/PDA. When you go to Apple, argue to the fact that it is still under 30 days and the phone is already broken in such a small amount of time. And say I understand i will have to pay a restocking fee. Because a product breaking in less than 30 days, thats unacceptable, even if its your fault, they will take it back or replace it.
Ummm, not when you drop a phone and shatter the screen. He should have returned it after he got it on DF and realized he couldn't insure it. Apple will likely laugh at him and tell him you can't return a phone that you damaged. It would be a different story if it was a factory defect!

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Ummm, not when you drop a phone and shatter the screen. He should have returned it after he got it on DF and realized he couldn't insure it. Apple will likely laugh at him and tell him you can't return a phone that you damaged. It would be a different story if it was a factory defect!
Well I know if i was in his shoes, I would not leave the store with out a free replacement. I understand its his fault, but it still has not been 30 days. The 30 days is if you are no satisfied with the product, obviously its his fault, but there has been many cases where Apple replaces the phone for free. My friend, had sat on his phone, thus causing the screen to crack, the genius replaced it for free. You need to be polite, and justify your case if they do not understand ask to speak to the manager if you have to.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Well I know if i was in his shoes, I would not leave the store with out a free replacement. I understand its his fault, but it still has not been 30 days. The 30 days is if you are no satisfied with the product, obviously its his fault, but there has been many cases where Apple replaces the phone for free. My friend, had sat on his phone, thus causing the screen to crack, the genius replaced it for free. You need to be polite, and justify your case if they do not understand ask to speak to the manager if you have to.
I would be shocked if they would exchange it under your scenario although if it were me I'd be happy as hell if they did. It can't hurt to try but I give this about a 2% chance. So you think if I dropped my phone in the toilet on accident and it broke that I could take it back since I am still within my 30 days of purchase and they will return it no questions asked?

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I would be shocked if they would exchange it under your scenario although if it were me I'd be happy as hell if they did. It can't hurt to try but I give this about a 2% chance. So you think if I dropped my phone in the toilet on accident and it broke that I could take it back since I am still within my 30 days of purchase and they will return it no questions asked?
Yes they should, I know for sure that i would not leave the store without them exchanging it in the first 30 days. I would be happy if they did it after that, but I still would try as hard as possible to get it done after the 30 days. But if a phone dropped from 3 feet shatters, that is a big problem on Apples side. My cousin, dropped his Voyager from the top of a staircase onto a wood floor surface by mistake, and the phone just got a few dings and scratches, but not a broken screen.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Oh man, I'm sorry but that is just priceless!
I know, he kept it in his back pocket and sat on an angle. But he told them that he had slipped on the ice and fell on the phone (Winter Season). The replaced it for him no problem and it was after the 30 days.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've dropped my v1 iPhone onto concrete at least a half dozen times and the screen is still perfect. I already dropped my 3G from about 6 feet up onto concrete and there wasn't a single scratch anywhere on it. I don't see how a mistake on your part would make a replacement by Apple expected.

If I purchase a brand new car and crash the second I pull out of the lot, do you think the dealer is going to replace it for free?

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I've dropped my v1 iPhone onto concrete at least a half dozen times and the screen is still perfect. I already dropped my 3G from about 6 feet up onto concrete and there wasn't a single scratch anywhere on it. I don't see how a mistake on your part would make a replacement by Apple expected.

If I purchase a brand new car and crash the second I pull out of the lot, do you think the dealer is going to replace it for free?
Your insurance would take care of that. The 30 days return policy is THEIR insurance.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Apple doesn't offer insurance. That's where you're mistaken. Apple only offers their warranty against THEIR own defects, not yours.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well i am not trying to fight anyone. Every store has a return period if you are not satisfied. Walmart has its 90 days, while all the other major chains have 30 days. I know Apple does not offer insurance, but the situation you gave me about the car dealership, if you crash your car as soon as you leave the lot, expect to receive a check from your insurence company. The 30 days is if you are not satisfied with the product, if the product I received cracked from a 3 foot drop compared to Youngbinks' 6 foot concret drop, there is somthing wrong if his phone is capable of handling that stress compared to mine. All I know is that if i was in his shoes, as i said, i would not leave the store without a replacement, I would speak to the manager and if he does not agree, i will call up Apple customer support line. There is no reason to pau 250 dollars to replace the phone while i am still under the 30 days.