1st gen iPhone. battery dead. will not charge will not go into dfu mode

jubejube

Dec 20, 2008
i have an AT&T first gen 16gb iPhone that is jailbroken and unlocked to rogers network using quickpwn. i am on XP on my laptop.

it is on 2.2 firmware.

yesterday i noticed that while playing music, it started to crash and would be stuck on the song sounding like a broken record. i had to do hard restarts.

i received some calls and the callers could not hear me as i suspect the mic on the phone was acting up. if i plugged in my hands free set they could hear me.

i plugged my phone in to charge in my car....no charge. got to a friends house....plugged it in to the wall....no charge.

i wondered if my phone was wonky so i was going to restore in my friends lap top. so i plugged it in to her laptop....it turned her laptop off.

the battery life in the evening was dying as it would not charge at all and did eventually die. i had tried doing a hard restart a number of times during the evening. I tried powering down but it just kept looping into reboot. it would NOT stay off.

i got home, plugged it into my usb port on my laptop-----it did not recognize (battery was dead at this point)....but did give me a message of "power surge on hub port: a usb device has exceed the power limits of it's hub port" which made me understand why it kept killing my friends laptop and turning that off.

iTunes would not reconize it. my computer will not recoginze it other than the Power surge message that pops up when i connect it. i charged it over night and it still will not turn on. it will not go into dfu mode so i can't restore it as it will not even turn on.

it's been jailbroken and unlocked and i don't live in the US, so i can't restore it and i'm sure the warranty is voided.

please help!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Sounds like it's fried. I can't think of anything you haven't tried. Did you get it wet? Anyone use it while you weren't looking? Got any other cables to try it with? (it could be the cable is frayed and short circuiting)

jubejube

Dec 20, 2008
the cables are fine. i tried my friends, and it didn't work on my phone. i charged hers with mine.

about half an hour ago, i connected it to my computer, the usb power exceed message came up again, but for 2 seconds the Apple logo came on, then the screen died....

any idea if it's still salvagable?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It sounds pretty much kaput. If another cable doesn't solve it, and your cable works fine on another iPhone, there is a problem within the electronics inside. You'll either have to find a repair shop, or a new iPhone...both are about the same price, I'm guessing.

jubejube

Dec 20, 2008
update:

yesterday afternoon it wouldn't turn on,

in the evening, (i left it with a friend) who told me he got it to turn on.

when i got there it was booted up and in the normal phone screen. however i kept getting the error about USB device exceeding power and when it was plugged in it would not be recognized. it still would not turn off and would keep rebooting.

so i used the restore factory settings (that takes two hours).

after that it kept being stuck in boot up in the Apple logo.

it has been doing that all night and is right now.

it won't go into dfu mode even though i try.....it just keeps rebooting and getting stuck in the logo and shows the circle with the lines to show it's processing but then just goes to reboot and stays with the Apple logo.

what should i do? a friend of mine sent me a sleepers.net link for three possible ways to put it in dfu mode......none are working. as it won't stay powered off but just reboots

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
My guess is some short circuiting with the dock connector. In normal operation, when it's off and then connected to power, the iPhone will turn back on. It's possibly tripping its own circuitry, thinking it's connected, and turning back on. The same kind of short circuiting could be causing it to try to draw more power than it should from the USB port, prompting that error message.

I don't think a software restore will fix your problem, unfortunately.

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008
You have a hardware failure.

When you reset the phone, it probably did not complete because of the hardware failure, so now its probably semi bricked..
If the battery has died, it can also cause weird things to happen, like never ending reboots etc...

If you really want to put money into it, you could replace the battery and clean the connector...

Otherwise, it sounds like a problem with the board..

Feb 3, 2009
I have a first generation iPhone and i'm having the exact same symptoms. I made an appointment at an Apple store on thursday to get it checked out and ill make sure to tell you what the problem is.

Mar 3, 2009
hey

hey i'm having the same problems that this guy is having with his iPhone an you also did you find out what's wrong with your iPhone?

I have a first generation iPhone and i'm having the exact same symptoms. I made an appointment at an Apple store on thursday to get it checked out and ill make sure to tell you what the problem is.

Jul 6, 2009
FIX for iPhone that won't charge / boot / won't go in DFU / won't reset

Ok, so i had this problem and now it's SOLVED!
For some time now, after i have upgraded my iPhone 2G to the 2.2.1 version, my iPhone kept giving me an error that goes something like "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone"...
After some 2-3 weeks of this error at least once a day, at some moment i forgot to charge my iPhone and the battery went empty after night. In the morning it have noticed it can't charge, can't reset, can't go into DFU, etc. I have tried all the tricks found on numerous forums but nothing.
What i did to solve this problem is:
1. I have opened my iPhone using a cutter and a screwdriver. You can find info on how to open your iPhone on google.
2. i took out the batery nicely cutting the three wires at the midle (black=minus, red=plus, white=ground).
3. Following the instructions at
http://dailycupoftech.com/2008/07/21/usb-pinout/
i took two wires from the usb of my computer (V BUS (5V) and Ground) and joined them with the wires from the battery of my iPhone. (USB 5V+ to Battery plus / USB Ground to battery minus). You could use i guess any charger that outputs DC 5V, but i didn't had any in hand.
4. I left the battery charging for about two hours.
5. I deconnected the batery from the usb "charger" and joined the wires back on the iPhone, as they first were. ! be carefuly at the exact order of the wires, and don't short-chircuit the wires together or touch the iPhone board with them. Isolate them with duct tape or whatever you have handy. (i have used paper :) i know ... )
6. I put the iPhone back together.
7. My iPhone booted after pressing the upper right power button at first try. It can charge and is detected by the computer, i can restart it, DFU, whatever.
8. I have upgraded my iPhone to 3.0 as the problem seemed to be related to some update/unlock procedure for 2.2.1.
In the past 3 days my iPhone haven't complained about anything, no errors, no "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone", it seem to work just fine.
BE VERY CAREFUL if you decide to do this, but I think it is worth a try as otherwise your iPhone will remain a paper weight anyway.
Good luck.
sory for my bad english

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2, 2010
I have the first gen iPhone and one day i woke up and my home button didn't work, after a couple reboots it worked again but now im having that problem of it not chargeing not connecting with my computer. I have tried to clean out my connector bit with Q-tips but it didn't seem to work. I also just recently bought a sony iPhone player and it plays the must music but dosnt charge or show the big battory. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions ? i also live in canada so i don't have warranty.

Jan 2, 2010
i have the first gen iPhone also and im haeing some problems too, my phone wont charge, and it wont connect to the computer. But when i connect it to my sony speckers then it plays the music but dosnt charge and the big battery dosnt show up. Can someone please help me or give me advice, i also live in canada and don't have warranty for this phone..(jailbroken/unlocked) thx

HUBBS

May 12, 2010
How to charge battery once it's open...

What wires go where on the battery once it's open?