1st Gen iPhone Battery Life w/2.0 Software

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
I upgraded my 1st generation iPhone (which I've had since the day it was released last year) to the 2.0 software. Ever since I did, it seems to be sucking the life out of the battery. Before the upgrade, I had no problems with battery life. I've downloaded a few of the new applications, but I've done nothing else different than I've been doing for the past year. Anyone else having the same issue? Also, since the upgrade, the operation of the iPhone has slowed down (going from application to mail to browser, etc.). Anyone else?

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
Last edited by a moderator:

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
maybe becuz your using your phone more?
these battery problems threads are getting outta hand

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that and see how it works. Sorry that I didn't see the other thread. There are so many issues between hardware, software, applications and it's really hard to find what you're looking for in many cases.
NP
Just link to thread to give the correct person credit for the idea

seems to have helped some

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
maybe becuz your using your phone more?
these battery problems threads are getting outta hand
No, I'm using it no more or less than I have for the past year. I have never had a problem with the battery life until I upgraded to 2.0, so I have to assume that it's the 2.0 that is causing this. Some of the battery complaints might be unfounded, but this is a legitimate issue as it applies to my iPhone. Face it, Apple knows and has admitted that battery life has been a concern from day one on this product, and we all know that not having a replaceable battery is a big negative for the iPhone.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
I noticed 2.0 runs slower and the screen seems to be less sensitive. Hopefully fixes will come with the next update.
As for the battery, I used to be able to go two days between charges and now I just make it though one day. But I don't think it’s because of power usage from the operating system, it’s because I use it so much more with all the apps.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
2.0 definitely requires more battery and appears to be a little sluggish compared to 1.1.4.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
I posted this in another thread about battery usage.

If ya all didn't know when you updated to 2.0 a new link in your web shortcuts was created, the iPhone users guide. If you read that you will see that location services are to tag locations to your photos and for maps. It even gives a note that says "to conserve battery life, turn off location services when you're not using it".

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I posted this in another thread about battery usage.

If ya all didn't know when you updated to 2.0 a new link in your web shortcuts was created, the iPhone users guide. If you read that you will see that location services are to tag locations to your photos and for maps. It even gives a note that says "to conserve battery life, turn off location services when you're not using it".
Where did you find this...I would like to see this help file

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Do you use a bunch of different fonts on the iPhone for no reason like you do on here?
That might be your problem.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Where did you find this...I would like to see this help file

Open the browser on your iPhone. Hit the bookmarks button, scroll down the list (Mine was second from the bottom) to the iPhone users guide.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Open the browser on your iPhone. Hit the bookmarks button, scroll down the list (Mine was second from the bottom) to the iPhone users guide.

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
You can also find this in your settings>general>Location Services. Mine was on, so I shut it off. Thanks for finding this !

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
I have found that Location Services turns itself on without letting you know, but even when it is off, the battery life in my original iPhone is really terrible with 2.0. I have done absolutely nothing with my iPhone for the past day and I have less than 50% battery remaining after charging it fully. You can say "turn this off" and "turn that off", but why the heck buy this product if you can't use it? It's like saying that a Hummer is fuel efficient and affordable if you leave it in your garage. WTF? I made this purchase a year ago and have loved the iPhone, but between getting dorked with initial price drop and the new model and the 2.0 software, it looks like Apple really doesn't give a rats butt about their customers. At least if there was a replaceable battery, I'd feel that I can swap when needed and use it as much as I want or need to. It looks like Apple has lowered themselves to the cell phone company mentality that we all have witnessed over the past few years. Apple has always said "Think Different" about their company. I wish they remember that with their phone ventures.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I have found that Location Services turns itself on without letting you know, but even when it is off, the battery life in my original iPhone is really terrible with 2.0. I have done absolutely nothing with my iPhone for the past day and I have less than 50% battery remaining after charging it fully. You can say "turn this off" and "turn that off", but why the heck buy this product if you can't use it? It's like saying that a Hummer is fuel efficient and affordable if you leave it in your garage. WTF? I made this purchase a year ago and have loved the iPhone, but between getting dorked with initial price drop and the new model and the 2.0 software, it looks like Apple really doesn't give a rats butt about their customers. At least if there was a replaceable battery, I'd feel that I can swap when needed and use it as much as I want or need to. It looks like Apple has lowered themselves to the cell phone company mentality that we all have witnessed over the past few years. Apple has always said "Think Different" about their company. I wish they remember that with their phone ventures.
I agree

Try this for battery life..I used to charge via usb and wait till it was 100%

I have found if I use the wall charger and charge overnight, the charge "seems" better and lasts much longer(it addition to turning off location services and auto brightness)...I do have BT on all the time in settings

I am not a big surfer, txter etc....but this has helped my battery life. I do try to let the battery run down as much as I can given my daily needs for use

I do notice much faster battery drain on 2.0 with using EDGE than 1.1.4

Jul 14, 2008
As of now, I have 3 days 2 hours on this latest charge. I have email along with Mobile Me push going on, WiFi enabled and i have location services off.

I've used it a few times to make calls and play a game for a few minutes.

Wish I could get this on my 3G.

jjjj1047

Jul 7, 2007
NJ Shore
Do you use a bunch of different fonts on the iPhone for no reason like you do on here?
That might be your problem.
I appreciate the feedback, but I don't even know how to change the font on the iPhone. I use the browser, listen to music, under-use my minutes on the phone, and read my e-mails. If I respond to e-mails, I use whatever font that automatically comes up. I don't ask for too much from the iPhone. I put it on charge every night and I should not have to worry if it will go dead during the day.