Do you prefer your 3G or the 1st Gen

• 3G

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • 1st Gen

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

matt4492

May 28, 2008
hi this is a poll for all of the iPhone users who had v1 and upgraded to the 3G.

i need the opinion of fellow iPhone users, i want to upgrade from an 8gb to 16gb and need to know if i should go to the 3G or upgrade to a 16gb 1st Gen

Before voting consider if you like the overall build, quality, and performance(not speed but stabability )

My question is....Do You Prefer Your 3G over v1

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
so do you not care about internet speed? I haven't had a non-3G phone in over 3 years. I don't consider the V1 competitive with any 3G phone built in the last 3 years. The V1 was more of a beta in my mind. "hey, let's see if people like the interface, and then we'll build a real phone."

matt4492

May 28, 2008
Thanks for your opinion

so do you not care about internet speed? "
And i meant judge the performance off of say the reliability and such because obviously the 3G is faster so for that confusion

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
well, I can't vote. For me the speed of 3G out weighs any of the problems with the new phone/benefits of the old one. If you absolutely don't need/use 3G and GPS, I would say stay with v1. My v1's overall quality was much better than my 3G, but I needed the faster Internet.

matt4492

May 28, 2008
well, I can't vote. For me the speed of 3G out weighs any of the problems with the new phone/benefits of the old one. If you absolutely don't need/use 3G and GPS, I would say stay with v1. My v1's overall quality was much better than my 3G, but I needed the faster Internet.

so would you say that even the screen quality and build is better on the v1

or is the difference not enough to bug you? Because i just need more space, and im not saying that the speed doesn't matter to me I'm just trying to see if say without 3G would people prefer to have the v1 because of low quality of the 3G iPhone.. i guess i don't no if that makes sense sorry

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I like 'em both honestly. I'm still holding on to my v1 since I bought the 3G on launch day although I'll probably sell it before too long.

As for speed, I unfortunately don't get good 3G reception so I have it turned off. I use wi-fi most of the time which, you know, the v1 has. I use GPS daily and if you'll use it then for that factor alone I think it's worth looking into.

As for screen quality I like the 3G best although I think the v1 feels more durable.

I am also convinced they'll get all the problems sorted out with the 3G in the near future. The issues for me are really minor.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
If you mean screen quality by the lack of the blue hue on the 3G, give it a day and you won't even notice anymore.

If you need space, you need space. I did too and that was another reason to go 3G. It's nice not seeing my phone almost full all the time.

Over all, I just feel that my v1 was put together better. No cracking case, no light coming through the bezel, no accelerometer issues and just felt more heavy duty than my current phone. I just wish they could have put all the 3G goodness inside the v1 case.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
If you mean screen quality by the lack of the blue hue on the 3G, give it a day and you won't even notice anymore.

If you need space, you need space. I did too and that was another reason to go 3G. It's nice not seeing my phone almost full all the time.

Over all, I just feel that my v1 was put together better. No cracking case, no light coming through the bezel, no accelerometer issues and just felt more heavy duty than my current phone. I just wish they could have put all the 3G goodness inside the v1 case.
I actually like the 3g screen better when I compare the two side by side.

As for space, I already need a 32gb.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Apart from the lagging keyboard and pausing contacts all of my issues have come from downloaded apps. I'd say the 3G certainly feels more solid though, the flat back of the V1 had a sort of hollow sounding knock when you tapped it with your finger. Might just be the curved surface but I don't get that from my 3G.

rmfnla

Bronze
My 3G works vastly better than my V.1 did. I use the Edge network most of the time so it's an Apples-to-Apples comparison (pun intended); the new phone just works better.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm SO thankful I waited for the 3G. I wanted to buy an iPhone back in April but I heard about a new iPhone coming out.

I haven't had the reception problems that a lot of other people are having. Very little keyboard lag. Crashes have all but stopped. Apps work well. And I'm using GPS quite a bit. I can't see NOT having GPS at this point. And I don't need turn-by-turn (my car already has GPS).

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I'm gonna have to say it weighs out. V1 was such a great phone for me personally and now that I have the 3G, with networks switching all the time at my house, its rather annoying. I'm going to have to say the one that I was overall satisfied with so far was the V1 for me. :O
Yes, thats right, I said it. Even though I currently have the 3G.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I never had V1 neither, but I can't say.
However, I went to a road trip with my friend who has v1, and I'd thought the phone would be so helpful to finding stuff in a new city...

But being on edge, google map was so slow to find the places while driving... by the time google map found the place we want to go, I've already found the place by using my own GPS (my head) with regular paper map... LOL

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I like the 3g better, there are some minor lag issues that my v1 didn't have, but im confident Apple will sort that all out in time with future updates. Also i love the gps and there is supposedly an app coming for voice guided navigation which many are anticipating. Another thing is, if space is a problem theres a free app in the app store called simplify media, which streams all your iTunes music to your iPhone, which is really neat, it frees up a lot of space for me, and hopefully an update will include video as well.

Sep 1, 2007
West Central Florida
I honestly miss the metal case. I think that was the biggest thing, it made me feel like it was tougher just because it was aluminum...Also, the yellowing screen kinda sucks, i much prefer the blueish tint of the 1g. Will i return to the 1g? No, because 3g will be in my area soon enough, and that will be completely worth it all.
I have a black 16g btw..

matt4492

May 28, 2008
Thank you all for your opinions i think i mine as well upgrade and if i am not satisfied im pretty positive i wont have a hard time selling and down grading

thanks again
matt

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I love both, but since I have the v1 Im going to stand in its corner:p
-I like the metal backing
-feels more sturdy, or I guess you could say expensive like jewelry
-And it can be unlocked :)

I do like the 3G iPhone but the closest 3G coverage is in Louisville which is about an hour away and I don't wanna pay for something that the only time I will get to use 3G is on random fieldtrips and things :(

I think I will wait for the Generation3 iPhone, hopefully they're will be much more of an improvment than 4-5 new features added to the 3G model;)