1st thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toasterdude, Sep 23, 2007.

1. toasterdude

toasterdude New Member

Total iPhone newbie. I have had it for 3 days. Some random thoughts/dissapointments:

1- no copy and paste? wow. . . not exactly cutting edge feature. I want to cut a url and email to someone. . . .or cut a phone number and paste into contacts

2-ringtones are lame. I DLed the latest iTunes but none of the songs I wanted to use as ringtones are ringtone capable. . . .oops one song was. So I ponied up the buck, but then just DLed an app and made my own that way. Why would Apple bother doing it through iTunes if I can't pick any song to use?

3-wish I could work offline or save cache or webpages. I was using google maps to get directions. I have to be connected to follow directions. In the old days of my Palm OS based smart phones, I would use mapqest either on my laptop or the phone and cut the directions and past into notepad etc.

4-notes? Any way to write notes besides on the phone? I have some directions and flight itineraries that I want to be able to quickly access from my phone. . . .had to open a gmail acount and email em to me to keep from having them thrown in with a bazillion other emails. I just want to have some important text readily available.

5-could not register on biz acount. So now I need to pay the bill and expense it. Much easier to just make calls and my company pays the bill. . .

2. iPhone69

iPhone69 New Member
    Bronze

The iPhone isn't really the businesss savvy device people think it is.

3. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

Congratz!

Welcome to the forums!

4. scott99

scott99 Member
    Bronze

LOL, ya like ANYTHING about the phone ? I don't use it for businesss, so I absolutely love this phone, love it way more than my Treo. Having all of my songs, video, my email (don't need up to the second push email, this is my personal email we're talking about), able to go onto the internet, and then make phone calls. I absolutely love my iPhone, and wouldn't trade it for any gadget out there.

Are there any shortcomings ? Absoloutely, but I'm sure there will be updates to correct certain things. I've had mine since September 13th, I have 3 days left to return it, but there is no way in hell I would.

5. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

Hey this guy loves his....

[​IMG]

:p

6. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

Think he's disappointed with Apple?...

#6 Indy, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  7. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

yes, so like...

LoL, j/k...

#7 Indy, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  8. toasterdude

toasterdude New Member

I love the web browsing. I dig the tunes, but own an ipod already so not a big factor. Maps has great potential but as is is more sizzle than steak. I love being able to check email and have set up 3 acounts on the phone, but I have been spoiled by having a Palm VI way back when, as well as 2 palm based smart phones so email is not all that new to me on a phone.

I am not asking for a biz powerhouse, if I was I'd get a Treo. I don't think copy and paste and the ability to write a note on my laptop and import into iPhone, is asking for heavy duty businesss apps. . . . lol. . .

While I am at it. . . .the camera is lame but I could care less as I have 3 digi cams.

So am I the only person that would like to be able to have someone email me a phone number and copy and paste that into contacts?

9. gregneedham

gregneedham New Member
    Bronze

Your thread is titled "1st thoughts" and it would appear that this truly was your first look at the phone, AFTER you bought it. You didn't mention one thing on your list that I didn't know about when I bought the iPhone on day 3 of release.

10. toasterdude

toasterdude New Member

I did know most of it before I bought the phone and I still bought it. I really do like the phone but feel that with a few minor improvements it could be killer. I had heard about no copy and paste, but figured that was such a glaring ommission that it would be added at some point. Cut and paste is a common feature everywhere and should make it's way to a "cutting edge" device like iPhone.

Now the ring tones. . . . .not a huge priority and I sort of figured that since I now have 1,000 tunes on my phone. . . .I could just pick any one of em and use as a ring tone. On my razr I made 30 sec ringtones as the memory capacity was not all that. I have 8 gigs on my iPhone and using a song that is already on the phone as a ringtone should be a no brainer.

BTW, I am not a mac guy but was at Mac World when they first showed the iPhone. I was there on businesss. I have wanted one since then. I live in a foreign country and had to wait till I spoke to our MIS guys about adding my phone to our corporate plan.

I asked MIS and they received an email from a businesss services rep. She said go buy the phone but I would have to activate through CS. I called CS and they said no iPhones on biz plans. . . . .. .so I had to activate with a personal acount and will have to expense the bill. I made sure to double check before buying. . . .but got conflicting answers.

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

1.) No. Widely known omission that many are hoping/expecting will be resolved via an update.

2.) Rather easy to add your own. Search the forums here. Works better if volume is boosted beforehand. Loudest default ringer is Old Phone.

3.) Well without getting into bookmarklets, no, you cannot store Web pages. As far as notes, see my answer below (#4). I also use Mobile Finder and Mobile TextEdit to work with locally-stored text files.

4.) While Note syncing is likley coming, for now I have a section within Contacts that I use for Notes. Whether I add the item through Outlook, or on the iPhone itself I enter the note's description in the Company Name field, prefaced with "#." I enter the note in the Notes field. The Notes field can contain a LOT of text (I stopped testing after 82,000 characters).

5.) Known fact. If you are daring you could always use AnySIM et al to remove the AT&T lock and use your existing AT&T SIM(s).

--
    Mike

12. deac

deac Member
    Bronze

I do it all the time. Get the number via email or text mess. It comes in as a hot link. Tap it to make the call, then when through, go to your recent call lists and save it as new contact.

no problemo......

enjoy