2.0 Beta

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
So does anyone else besides me have the 2.0 beta installed? I'm installing it right now. I got in to the beta program this morning and I am so excited.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Aw, let him have fun. ;) Congratz! Hardly anybody was accepted, so be happy!

- John

stewcp

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol, UK
So does anyone else besides me have the 2.0 beta installed? I'm installing it right now. I got in to the beta program this morning and I am so excited.
Are you going to share you 2.0 beta with us?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Are you going to share you 2.0 beta with us?
If i were him i wouldn't. I'm sure if your given the beta and you respect their privacy wishes, they may give you betas again for being a reliable tester...

if not then why double cross Apple?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
If i were him i wouldn't. I'm sure if your given the beta and you respect their privacy wishes, they may give you betas again for being a reliable tester...

if not then why double cross Apple?
Don't you have a jailbroken phone with apps?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Apple has locked down the process pretty tight. According to their documentation if you install the beta on non-registered device it will lock the device.

But like has been said, I'm one of the lucky few to get accepted and I'd rather not have the wrath of Apple upon me. Especially since this has given me a good chance to start my development and test it on the phone early.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
im sure it will be on some tracker soon if it isn't already.........man i miss demonoid.....

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I don't really see this as being similar to giving out the beta...apple doesn't come down on top of me if i jailbreak i just sacrifice some of my rights when i was given my iPhone. If you give out the beta...who knows, i'm sure they keep track of the the register code or whatever and if its registered on more then one device they know you gave it out...and then your on a blacklist for beta give outs.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I don't really see this as being similar to giving out the beta...apple doesn't come down on top of me if i jailbreak i just sacrifice some of my rights when i was given my iPhone. If you give out the beta...who knows, i'm sure they keep track of the the register code or whatever and if its registered on more then one device they know you gave it out...and then your on a blacklist for beta give outs.
LOL! .

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
im sure it will be on some tracker soon if it isn't already.........man i miss demonoid.....
It's unlikely that even if it does make it to a tracker you'll be able to use it. Apple is pretty specific in their instructions that if you install the beta software on a non authorized machine it will brick the device. I wouldn't want to take the risk.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Keep us updated on how everything goes for you. :)

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
So as of right now what are the know difference between verion 1 with version 2? Can you please post some I would really love to know. Thanks.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
was looking for a " subscribe to this thread" option but didn't find one so im just posting so that i will get emails about new posts on this thread

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
So as of right now what are the know difference between verion 1 with version 2? Can you please post some I would really love to know. Thanks.
I won't go in to great detail on the changes since the videos ar up all over the place you can see but I'll detail some of my person favorite things in the new software.

Exchange integration. This is ABSOLUTELY sweet. I signed up for an exchange account with 1and1 (since my work doesn't do exchange) and got it set up for my phone. It took a little bit of trial and error (due in part because there is no documention for the exchange on the iPhone and part because of the strange setup that 1and1 has). But I got it working and I must admit it's wonderful. Push email works great and so do the contacts and calendar. I've set up the account on my outlook at work, put in a bunch of stuff this morning and voila, there it was on my phone. The contacts seem to take a few more seconds to show up than the calendar but it works great.

I know a lot of people have been asking to turn off the SMS preview. Well ther is a setting in the General now that has a toggle for turning on and off the SMS preview. This will be welcomed to some people (me I prefer to see it).

Calculator. The new calculator is awesome. You keep it the normal way and it's the old calculator. Good for quick stuff. But you turn it sideways and it's now a very nice scientific calculator. It's been very useful.

Those are some of the things so far I've been using a lot. It's really nice and I've been very happy with the beta. The only issue I've had to far is it seems that ringtones I bought through iTunes will not transfer over. I get a message in iTunes saying that the software on the phone is too old. However the ringtones I have custom created transfer over just fine. That's about the only hitch I've had so far.