2.0 includes contacts app

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yuck! why, that is ugly, i can use the contacts feature in the phone app, this is just not necessary to me...

what yall think?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Not sure what you mean. Is it something in the App Store? What ever the case, I agree the phone app will have search and is very sufficient.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think he means there's an icon for Contacts added to the home screen.

I like it. One less tap and all that ...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
ooops sorry that i didn't explain , i was watching the 2.0 video from justanotheriPhoneblog.com and saw that there is a contacts app, like the one on the ipod touch, sure the ipod touch needs it but not the iPhone

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i just don't see it necessary, i can email, text and call form the contact list that is in the phone app..

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Not only is it unnecessary, it takes up another space on your page. If it is like the others, it can't be deleted.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I was wondering if it would be like that. I don't need it either. As for space, you can have 9 home screens how much space could you possibly need for apps and web clips? It probably won't be there. If you want a real answer call Apple:
1-800-692-7753

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
i just don't see it necessary, i can email, text and call form the contact list that is in the phone app..
I agree. Hiding the contacts inside of the phone was kind of security feature. When people start nosing through your phone, the 1st thing they do is go through your pics then your contacts. I feel its smart to hiding ii (well place it) under the phone's interface.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
ooops sorry that i didn't explain , i was watching the 2.0 video from justanotheriPhoneblog.com and saw that there is a contacts app, like the one on the ipod touch, sure the ipod touch needs it but not the iPhone
I don't see it on Apple's homepage. they have an upclose and personal iPhone 3G pic.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I can't say I've seen this. It sure isn't there on the big shot of the iPhone on Apple's homepage. However, it does appear in the Gizmodo video I did a post on this morning, which is what JJ is referring to. Here is Gizmodo's video.

- John

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Sorry, I was TRYING to say I didn't see the Contacts button on the pic APPLE has on its home page but I saw it on the video. I hope APPLE doesn't add it

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
If you're JB, won't Poof or Boss Pref's Hide take care of it? Worst case, just move it to the 9th page.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I can tell you proof positive that the contact icon is there, at least on the 2.0 software that came with the SDK package. I got a buddy who is a developer and I was playing with the 2.0 and that was one of the first thing I noticed. Its the same as the contacts icon on the iPod touch and as far as my buddy knows, there is no way to turn it off or delete it. I personally did not like it.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I prefer it being a separate app, as i usually have to go out of safari or iPod, and then go into phone to view contacts to then email somebody lol. Every click counts.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I can tell you proof positive that the contact icon is there, at least on the 2.0 software that came with the SDK package. I got a buddy who is a developer and I was playing with the 2.0 and that was one of the first thing I noticed. Its the same as the contacts icon on the iPod touch and as far as my buddy knows, there is no way to turn it off or delete it. I personally did not like it.
You just SSH in, navigate to the Applications folder, find the Contacts.app folder, right click and delete. Very easy.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I agree. Hiding the contacts inside of the phone was kind of security feature. When people start nosing through your phone, the 1st thing they do is go through your pics then your contacts. I feel its smart to hiding ii (well place it) under the phone's interface.
security by obscurity is never a good security practice... ever. password protect your phone if you're worried about privacy or don't share your phone.

even if the contacts app wasn't there, people can still see all your contacts just by going into the phone icon.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
i guess its a hit or miss with some people... they like it or don't.. for me it would be i would then wouldn't like it but could see myself using it