Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
In windows you don't have to click restore. Just shift and check for updates then browse to where ever you downloaded the .ipsw file.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
After d'loading and installing, I gotta say my phone is acting a little sluggish. Instead of smooth transitions from apps to the home screen, it kinda pauses, then snaps to the home screen like something was holding it back and suddenly let go.

I have had a couple of crashes out of apps just like Safari crashes.

Me thinks some fine tuning may be in the works or the 3g may run 2.0 better than the V1?

We'll see.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I have an early (iDay) iPhone that is unhacked and has been successfuly patched with every release thus far which bombs when I try to install this patch. It forces me to restore the phone back to 1.1.4 when it bombs, and even after a fresh restore it still bombs on the next attempt. I've re-downloaded the patch several times in case the file got corrupted and I've tried the patch from two different Mac's... same result.

That's the error I get.

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
I have an early (iDay) iPhone that is unhacked and has been successfuly patched with every release thus far which bombs when I try to install this patch. It forces me to restore the phone back to 1.1.4 when it bombs, and even after a fresh restore it still bombs on the next attempt. I've re-downloaded the patch several times in case the file got corrupted and I've tried the patch from two different Mac's... same result.
Do you have the latest iTunes 7.7? I remember when i tried updating before it would give me errors until i realized i needed a newer version of iTunes.

If you've done that and still get that error message, you might wanna wait till Apple officially releases 2.0 on iTunes.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Do you have the latest iTunes 7.7? I remember when i tried updating before it would give me errors until i realized i needed a newer version of iTunes.

If you've done that and still get that error message, you might wanna wait till Apple officially releases 2.0 on iTunes.
That's exactly what it was. He's got it going now.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Yup, 7.7 (or the lack thereof) was the culprit. All is good in the iPhone universe now.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Anyone having trouble installing 7.7 iTunes? I keep doing the check for updates, and clicking to download and install and it does nothing. Anyone know what's wrong here?

Bravo

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
Hollywood
go to iTunes.com and download it

be covered a few times here...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hmm, cool, I'll try that, thanks.
You don't go to iTunes.com; go to Apple.com/iTunes and download it.

Apple.com/iTunes

Do that, then install 2.0. Make sure to sync your phone first to have a current backup on your computer. 2.0 will completely wipe your phone down to nothing almost and then load all your settings and media from your backup.

Good luck!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ

I had the same prob even tho I am on the newest iTunes.
I just selected recover and maybe I can do it after that?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
@wjp - make sure you're on iTunes 7.7. That's the same thing other people had happen when they were on 7.6.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080710.bgt53/iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw

For those who don't know what to do with the file, open iTunes with the iPhone connected and

Mac: Hold OPTION and click restore and select the .IPSW file

Windoze: Hold SHIFT and click restore and select the .IPSW file

Downloaded fine using firefox.
I downloaded this via IE and it saved it as a ".zip" file. Am I supposed to change the extension to ".ipsw"? I believe that was what the macrumors site said, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks
~S

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
Yeah just rename it to .ipsw then you should be able to restore to it using iTunes.