2.0 power usage

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I have noticed since updating to 2.0 that my battery consumption is terrible I am lucky if I get a day out of it even with light to moderate usage. Anyone else noticed this?

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
My battery consumption is about the same unless I play one of the games I downloaded. My phone has not been jail broken.

I think that person was the same one that looked at a lobster and decided to eat it.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
We I am down to 20% now after 8 hrs. No wifi, no games played. Checked emails twice today. Any ideas.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
What is your brightness? If you keep it on 1/8 brightness like I do, you will see a significant increase in battery life. I'm talking hours.

edit:
i have a 3g, so i'm not sure what 2.0 looks like on a v1, but if you have PUSH DATA, you may save some battery by turning it off

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
What is your brightness? If you keep it on 1/8 brightness like I do, you will see a significant increase in battery life. I'm talking hours.

edit:
i have a 3g, so i'm not sure what 2.0 looks like on a v1, but if you have PUSH DATA, you may save some battery by turning it off
Yeah I have tried that also, thanks. Phone went dead on my third call of the day

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Regarding the brightness, i have taken it off auto and set it lower so that its not dark, but certainly not bright and i have no issues with my battery lasting thoughout the day and I play my games, email is set to "push", searching for wi-fi. I also have location services turned off.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Yeah I have tried that also, thanks. Phone went dead on my third call of the day
I don't see how any settings could be the culprit, unless maybe the iPhone is going nuts with push/fetch data all day (try disabling that in Settings > Fetch New Data, not that you should have to) or you're constantly using GPS. Even if a bluetooth device is on.

fyi, some of the 1st gen iPhones had faulty PMUs (power management units) which caused them to drain too fast, fail to charge, or to think they were fully charged when they weren't. I guess that could be the case here. I'd consider swapping it out if you're taking reasonable energy conservation steps and still not making it through even a single day.

Good luck!

-K

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Regarding the brightness, i have taken it off auto and set it lower so that its not dark, but certainly not bright and i have no issues with my battery lasting thoughout the day and I play my games, email is set to "push", searching for wi-fi. I also have location services turned off.
Hi Lman yeah I haven't tried turning off location services. I was also using the nuevasync service to sync with my google calendar. I have deleted this now also.

I phoned Apple and they will replace the battery but its a 5-7 day turnaround..not good. I am going to try everything before I send it of

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I don't see how any settings could be the culprit, unless maybe the iPhone is going nuts with push/fetch data all day (try disabling that in Settings > Fetch New Data, not that you should have to) or you're constantly using GPS. Even if a bluetooth device is on.

fyi, some of the 1st gen iPhones had faulty PMUs (power management units) which caused them to drain too fast, fail to charge, or to think they were fully charged when they weren't. I guess that could be the case here. I'd consider swapping it out if you're taking reasonable energy conservation steps and still not making it through even a single day.

Good luck!

-K
Thanks Kabeyun we most have cross posted. I will take all the advice on board and start again if it doesn't work then its back to Apple for a replacement battery...this is one of those times when my BB curve looks hardcore:mad:

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Hi Lman yeah I haven't tried turning off location services. I was also using the nuevasync service to sync with my google calendar. I have deleted this now also.

I phoned Apple and they will replace the battery but its a 5-7 day turnaround..not good. I am going to try everything before I send it of
Gives this stuff a try:
-Definently take the phone off auto brightness, i have it below half way (slider bar) and in the day thats perfectly bright and at night its not glaring, but its enough that i don't have to strain. Find the level thats right for you, but I do believe auto brightness takes battery
-Like i said, locations services
-If you want more battery life, turn off the option for the phone to look for wi-fi areas. That drains battery. Only turn it on when you wanna search for some wi-fi or you know its available in the area and you want to use it.
-Also, if you don't need push...have your mail check on an hourly basis or even manually.

Theres a good chance you already knew about the latter ideas, but i figured i'd repeat them anyway since they work for me

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Gives this stuff a try:
-Definently take the phone off auto brightness, i have it below half way (slider bar) and in the day thats perfectly bright and at night its not glaring, but its enough that i don't have to strain. Find the level thats right for you, but I do believe auto brightness takes battery
-Like i said, locations services
-If you want more battery life, turn off the option for the phone to look for wi-fi areas. That drains battery. Only turn it on when you wanna search for some wi-fi or you know its available in the area and you want to use it.
-Also, if you don't need push...have your mail check on an hourly basis or even manually.

Theres a good chance you already knew about the latter ideas, but i figured i'd repeat them anyway since they work for me
Thanks again Lman trying all suggestions. Is that a new avatar?