2.0 update?

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I did the search and maybe i'm blind but I can't find anything that tells me what is comeing in the 2.0 update. Can someone point me in the right direction?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
A lot of features, but mainly, the App store which will allow us to purchase third party applications for the iPhone, on the iPhone.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I didn't want to start a new thread on this but,

If my phone is jailbroken and I update to 2.0 in July will I have to pay for the apps?

I know you have to with the new iPhone but wouldn't it just be better to wait for the new jailbreak on 2.0?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007

If my phone is jailbroken and I update to 2.0 in July will I have to pay for the apps?

I know you have to with the new iPhone but wouldn't it just be better to wait for the new jailbreak on 2.0?
You'll pay for them either way unless the app requires only a license code or something similar to activate it and you happen to have it. Otherwise, jailbreaking only allows you to put the unauthorized 3rd party apps on your phone for free that are currently floating around. Even now not all of them are free, such as iPhone video recorder.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
^Thanks, so it might be better not to upgrade to 2.0 at all?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
^Thanks, so it might be better not to upgrade to 2.0 at all?
You should update anyways. There are going to be free apps as well, and there are going to be other features added, such as contact search, and other things like that.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The AppStore will be like iTunes - You buy applications that have been approved by Apple (and are stable and virus-free) and your iPhone can use them. That's the way games work on traditional iPods and the model for applications on the iPhone going forward.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com

I would wait for the 2.0 jailbreak. You can rest assure that the Apps store on iTunes won't come close to to providing much of the stuff we can currently do with our jailbroken phones.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I would wait for the 2.0 jailbreak. You can rest assure that the Apps store on iTunes won't come close to to providing much of the stuff we can currently do with our jailbroken phones.
I disagree, in my opinion, Apple want to move people onto legit software as soon as possible, and so I believe that they will allow most of the jailbroken app developers to develop apps for the app store.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Remember, you get what you pay for...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I foresee the first offerings of apps to be fleshed-out versions of JB apps we've been using. Stable, more full-featured, and more "iphone-like". But the real behind-the-scenes sort of customizations, modifications, and system-file manipulation will likely never make their way to the AppStore unless by Apple themselves.

Anything that goes against Apple's design philosophy (for example, background-running apps) will never make it to the Appstore.

That's why the jailbreaking community will likely never die for the iPhone. And I very much look forward to running legit and "illegit" apps side by side on my V1 phone.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Psy - That's an interesting perspective... and I think you've got a good point.

Out of curiosity, which apps that run in the background and probably wouldn't make it in the App Store, would you like to see? Any examples?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Psy - That's an interesting perspective... and I think you've got a good point.

Out of curiosity, which apps that run in the background and probably wouldn't make it in the App Store, would you like to see? Any examples?
Well i've never even seen a jailbroken iPhone in my life, so I could not answer that.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
^if you are serious just look at your pic under your SN

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I disagree, in my opinion, Apple want to move people onto legit software as soon as possible, and so I believe that they will allow most of the jailbroken app developers to develop apps for the app store.
Do you think that they will provide themes, that we can modify, and install via OpenSSH? That's what I'm speaking of. I just don't see them allowing us the access our files as we can now through the app store. I believe that we will have to continue to jailbreak our phones to do what we now do. Opinions?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Do you think that they will provide themes, that we can modify, and install via OpenSSH? That's what I'm speaking of. I just don't see them allowing us the access our files as we can now through the app store. I believe that we will have to continue to jailbreak our phones to do what we now do. Opinions?
No, you have a point there. But if I was jailbroken, I don't really think I would have any need for these.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I feel sort of optimistic on this subject. I think themes and things don't seem worth a big fight from Apple, and don't represent objectionable content of course, and there's already a great community of theme designers to build on.

Obviously, I'd love to see Summerboard crossover - but I'll be happy with any reasonable theming solutions that show up in the App Store ...

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I feel sort of optimistic on this subject. I think themes and things don't seem worth a big fight from Apple, and don't represent objectionable content of course, and there's already a great community of theme designers to build on.

Obviously, I'd love to see Summerboard crossover - but I'll be happy with any reasonable theming solutions that show up in the App Store ...
Not allowed per the SDK rules. Here's a link to BigBoss' article regarding the subject. Apparently he has the SDK and has the rulebook as to what he is and isn't supposed to do. I know I'm not upgrading to 2.0 prior to a JB.

http://sleepers.net/news/?p=141