2.0b Discovery Found

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
*Don't get too excited, it is kind of big but not all that great...yet*

So I just downloaded and installed the SDK and was browsing the "Platforms" folder in /Developer and I found that if you go to /Developer/Platforms/Aspen.platform/Developer/SDKs/Aspen1.2.sdk/Applications
There are all the 2.0 beta apps in that folder, INCLUDING AppStore.app. I'm trying to get it to run with a friend on his iPod touch, no success yet. There are also some frameworks in /Developer/Platforms/Aspen.platform/Developer/SDKs/Aspen1.2.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks
that might not be in 1.1.4, and maybe they might be needed for running AppStore.app. I'm not sure though.
Maybe someone could also get appstore.app running in the simulator, I'm not sure about that either.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
nice. I don't mean that badly or anything.

a true compliment.

however - what does this mean? like if you somehow make it work, then technically we could have AppStore now? wouldn't that be useless because the server or whatever isn't implemented yet?

sorry if I'm stupid right now - not feeling too well.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nice find. True, even if we could get it running, it would be pointless. The apps on there will come from Apple, and that place that they will come from has either not even been set up yet, or is empty, and will stay that way until June.

I need to get my hands on the SDK now.

- John

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I think it would be fun just to fiddle around and get some insight to see what it would be like. I think that the 2.0 software update is probably practically done, but developers just need to play catch-up so that we can actually get some software on this baby!

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
nice. I don't mean that badly or anything.

a true compliment.

however - what does this mean? like if you somehow make it work, then technically we could have AppStore now? wouldn't that be useless because the server or whatever isn't implemented yet?

sorry if I'm stupid right now - not feeling too well.
Technically if all o it worked correctly, then yes it would work. I have the AppStore.app in my /Applications folder but I can't do anything; it doesn't show up on the SpringBoard.

I'm going to see if messing with it with Poof would fix it, and changing the firmware version to 2.0b.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I think it would be fun just to fiddle around and get some insight to see what it would be like. I think that the 2.0 software update is probably practically done, but developers just need to play catch-up so that we can actually get some software on this baby!
The update won't be finished yet; it's too big an update to he finished already. There will be more features implemented than already announced, possibly including copy and paste?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
try maybe changing the version to 2.0.0, making the permissions 0755, and try to launch it with MobileFinder.app
respring a few times in the process
might work.

Y-Less

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Netherlands, The
It launches here and then closes it.. I think you need the 2.0 firmware in order to let the AppStore.app process its code to some new functions made in the 2.0 firmware.