2.1 Battery Life Improvements? - Where are the new features?

Revs9k01

Jul 2, 2007
I was wondering where i could find the two new features that were added with this new firmware. I cannot for the life of me find where you can activate the "repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages" and the "option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts". Any help would be appreciated.

Another thing i was wondering was how Apple could improve the battery life on the iPhone through a firmware upgrade and if anyone already knows what exactly they did.

Revs9k01
:p

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I can't find the repeat alert either. The wipe after 10 attempts is in the passlock code options under general in settings.

Painkiller

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
that's makes 3 of us unable to find the repeats on text alerts!

Painkiller

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Others are saying it's automatic, that you'll get multiple akers, and not something selectable. That's fine by me.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Not for me....Not by a long shot. Over 2 times the imrpovement. see post below (I seriously ran thing thing non-stop since 9:30am)

HERE IT IS! (posted at ~11:40pm)

My Battery Update:

Last full charge was at 9:30am EST (during download of 2.1). Since then, I have used the phone consistantly, and nonstop (when not using it, had iPod playing constantly...will explain later). I ran it on 3G ONLY...no WiFi. 3G was steady at 3-5 bars all day. No Edge.

After install, I started opening all Apps, Internet, iPod, etc...No crashing. I then started installing Apps, deleting Apps, updating Apps...all faster than ever. I then did a quick Synch/Back up...took 2 minutes (WOW).

Then, I continued surfing the net, playing with Apps, listening to music, watchied video, sent text messages, made some calls, took pictures, sent them to irovr, etc....when I had to work, I played the iPod the whole time. When I wasn't using it, i made sure the iPod was running. Ate dinner, iPod was running. Came home, and played with Aps (with iPod ON)...until i died. Below, is the result (NOTE: Standby time is very misleading I have found, and see my explanation below -Standby does not mean "not being used" apparently, FYI):

I ran it non-stop (except maybe 1.5 hours) until it died (I had to plug in for 2 minutes at the end a few moments ago so I could take the screen shot, hence why you see battery life up in the corner).

NOTE: When the iPod was playing, while the screen was turned off, it registered as STANDBY time....I am confused by this. Honestly, my phone did NOT sit unused for 9 hours today...I am 100% trutful abotu this. If you play the iPod, but do nothing else, it registers as Standby time...even though the battery is being used. Weird, huh?

Regardless, this thing ran for approx. 14 hours non-stop today. I am NOT shitting you. WOW. (Doing this before would have given me maybe 5 hours total. I really put the 3G to the test today...I never use it as much as I did today....)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
wow thats amazing
usually i can keep my phone in standby for two days easily but actually using it kills the battery
i'll try the same and tell you what i get

Revs9k01

Jul 2, 2007
wow that is some serious usage! I am still trying to figure out what sort of code they must have deleted or maybe backroumd processes they killed to improve the battery life.

I did notice that you can no longer delete podcasts directly from the iPhone which kinda sucks but oh well.

Thanks for all the info guys, enjoy 2.1!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i have a V1 phone and have always ( after getting my phone replaced 4 times) had GREAT battery life. However, I never, ever let my battery get down past the 20% mark. In fact, the last time I tested my battery life is about 6 months ago and that is the last time I saw the 20% warning.
I charge my phone every night. I reset the usage every morning right before I take it off the charger so I can follow my usage. I also reboot every 3 days to make sure that the battery is showinf it's full potential.
Draining the battery is actually BAD for this type of lithium polymer battery.

That being said, right after I upgraded, I played about 20 minutes of Aurora Feint and 20 of Billy Frontier, and maybe 10 minutes of using Seeqpod.com to find a couple songs for my wife. I used a full 3rd of the battery. Way too fast compared to 2.0.2
So, I restored the phone again to 2.1 and tested again. It's a bit better, but I realized that it was the game usage that was eating it up. I tested again with normal usage of internet and calls and a few light apps, and my extraordinary battery life is back . 1 hour and 45 minutes of usage my battery is still showing full.

What I am trying to say is that when determining if your battery life has improved or not, make sure that you take all things into consideration and try to keep usage to your normal routine. If it doesn't appear to improve under your normal daily usage, try eliminating the bigger apps and see how it does.

BTW the 16 hours is phenominal :D

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenshizzle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I haven't seen anyone else point this out but when you click on one of your playlists on the iPhone, the songs are now listed with the album than artist.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
WOW Steven, I hadn't noticed that. Cool. Thanks!