2.1 Battery Life Improvements.......

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
So, I have had my iPhone 3G running since last night. Woke up to a 3/4 charge. While updating it seemed to go back up to full by the time i disconnected arounf 9:50 (update was available, and started around 9:30 I suppose).

Have had unplugged since 9:50-10:00am. It is now 1:30pm.

3 hours of use, with 3G turned on....iPod has been playing, and I have downloaded 3 apps, and made 3 phone calls. I have used the internet to surf as well, for about 1 hour.

I just plugged it in for 10 mins to synch my new apps. Before I did that, I was just under full batter life (above 3/4 it seemed)! (About 3+ hours of straight use) I am at full battery power now after a brief 10 minute charge.

Post your experiences here.....I would love to know if people notice the battery having a better staying power than before. I am going to better monitor, and post actual Usage/standby times when the battery runs out with a full battery.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Since full charge after update, I have made an hour or so of phone calls// switched to 3g (since it now apears to work) surfed the web a bit// ran some apps// and have been plugged into my bluetooth earpiece for 5 hours. Still about 85% full.

Looks good so far.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
This is really good news, my battery life has been terrible before the update, i wonder how an update could improve battery.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
This is really good news, my battery life has been terrible before the update, i wonder how an update could improve battery.
Try to keep a watchful eye, and report your usages.

We know that historically, a 3.5 - 4hours of usage could drain the battery in some conditions. Most people had to charge it up at least daily. Initial progress is still looking good that they did something to improve it...I am just curious how they would have fixed it if they indeed did.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Prior to updating to 2.1, my iPhone couldn't go half a day with fetch set to hourly. I unplugged it around 10:20 am, fully charged after updating, with fetch set to hourly and I'm at 85% battery at 3:23 pm...sweet!

Jul 23, 2008
I noticed a huge increase when I jumped from 1.1.4 to 2.0 hopefully this will just add to that.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I know one way.

If the battery meter software is written to show more charge than there actually is until you get below, say, 35%. Then the charge meter will drop more quickly to match how much energy is actually left. Since most people probably plug their phones in before this level if possible, it gives the illusion if actual better life. I hope this proves to be wrong for those of you with bad life.

Let's see some usage "until empty" results before we are 100% sure life is truly improved.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i just want an app that tells the exact percentage of battery life (not JB)

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
UPDATE:

So far, I am not even at 20% yet (coming close I think...probably at 1/4).

Here are my usages (since last FULL charge):
Usage: 6 hours 19 mins
Standby: 7 hours, 18 minutes (NOTE: 2 or so of these hours included iTunes RUNNING - I noticed that even if iTunes is running, once the screen turns off, it is counted as standby mode minutes - NOT usage minutes....I am really surprised by this. If someone can replicate, let me know - perhaps it is counting in both Usage and Standby?)

This is by FAR the longest my 3G has operated. I will give final figures at 0%.

This is really a surprising improvement. This is almost DOUBLE what I had gotten out of it before.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I agree Tex, this is by far the best update fix for bugs yet, my backups are about a minute now and installing new apps is only seconds. Looks like Steve came through for us. Kudos Apple.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
HERE IT IS!

My Battery Update:

Last full charge was at 9:30am EST (during download of 2.1). Since then, I have used the phone consistantly, and nonstop (when not using it, had iPod playing constantly...will explain later). I ran it on 3G ONLY...no WiFi. 3G was steady at 3-5 bars all day. No Edge.

After install, I started opening all Apps, Internet, iPod, etc...No crashing. I then started installing Apps, deleting Apps, updating Apps...all faster than ever. I then did a quick Synch/Back up...took 2 minutes (WOW).

Then, I continued surfing the net, playing with Apps, listening to music, watchied video, sent text messages, made some calls, took pictures, sent them to irovr, etc....when I had to work, I played the iPod the whole time. When I wasn't using it, i made sure the iPod was running. Ate dinner, iPod was running. Came home, and played with Aps (with iPod ON)...until i died. Below, is the result (NOTE: Standby time is very misleading I have found, and see my explanation below -Standby does not mean "not being used" apparently, FYI):

I ran it non-stop (except maybe 1.5 hours) until it died (I had to plug in for 2 minutes at the end a few moments ago so I could take the screen shot, hence why you see battery life up in the corner).

NOTE: When the iPod was playing, while the screen was turned off, it registered as STANDBY time....I am confused by this. Honestly, my phone did NOT sit unused for 9 hours today...I am 100% trutful abotu this. If you play the iPod, but do nothing else, it registers as Standby time...even though the battery is being used. Weird, huh?

Regardless, this thing ran for approx. 14 hours non-stop today. I am NOT shitting you. WOW.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
WOW is right...you only have 21 hours of talk time :p

I have 5 days, LOL. Back on topic, damn, 14 hours of straight use, that's gotta be a record or something!

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
WOW is right...you only have 21 hours of talk time :p

I have 5 days, LOL. Back on topic, damn, 14 hours of straight use, that's gotta be a record or something!
I am a man of few words...I think I need to drop down my voice plan from 900 to 450. I really don't talk much via phone anymore. I have owned since LAUNCH DAY! (well, this is my 2nd 3G though. I replaced my first one after 4 weeks).
Texting/emailing,etc is more common now. It is sad, I know.

I LOVE 2.1! IT KICKS ASS! I never used my iPhone as much as I did in one day before...I actually had to work hard to drain the battery...Isn't that crazy just to hear someone say that? I feel crazy for having gone through it...but it really is that significant.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I am a man of few words...I think I need to drop down my voice plan from 900 to 450. I really don't talk much via phone anymore. I have owned since LAUNCH DAY! (well, this is my 2nd 3G though. I replaced my first one after 4 weeks).
Texting/emailing,etc is more common now. It is sad, I know.

I LOVE 2.1! IT KICKS ASS! I never used my iPhone as much as I did in one day before...I actually had to work hard to drain the battery...Isn't that crazy just to hear someone say that? I feel crazy for having gone through it...but it really is that significant.
I'm the opposite, my friends can't get me to shut up at times, LOL.

I love 2.1 too! My iPhone has never ran so smooth :)

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I may be a believer in the battery life issue now.

Since update was complete at about 9:45 Friday morning, I have surfed 15MB on 3G(I'd say about 2-3 total hours usage), talked about 40 minutes on 3G, used GPS for about 20 minutes on 3G, used iPod for at least 6 hours including video podcasts of at least 2 hours, and generally had the phone in use a lot of the day.

At this point my stats show 6.2 hours usage, and 11 hours standby. My current battery status is about 35% or so. Definitely not too close to the 20% warning based on past observations.

Will wait until full drain to finalize numbers. Pretty impressive and definitely "significant" so far.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I am a man of few words...I think I need to drop down my voice plan from 900 to 450. I really don't talk much via phone anymore.
I have the 450 and I only use like 200 a month
I think my total rollover is like 3000 minutes lol

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
my battery life is significantly better i used my phone all day and still have over 50%